The simFlight Network Forums

GPS Altitude reads (offset 6020)

Hi guys,

can someone here confirm the following?

It seems to me that certain FSUIPC offsets are not updated as quickly as others. In fact, no matter how many times per second I make a FSUIPC "read" of e.g. offset 6020 (which is the GPS altitude) the returned values seem to update in a 1 second interval only.

Is this true or am I doing something wrong? :?:

Thanks for any comments!

Phil

It seems to me that certain FSUIPC offsets are not updated as quickly as others.

There is certainly a priority system in operation in FSUIPC, but only for values which it has to extract from FS by calling procedures or performing calculations. Mostly important values are updates at least once per frame, but some will be less often.

The slowest update is one second -- but that only applies to the character version of the time at offset 0C20, which FSUIPC has to update itself. Since that only changes once a second that seemed reasonable. There are some other less important values calculated every 450 mSecs or so. And so on.

All this is to ensure top performance whilst still providing optimum support.

In fact, no matter how many times per second I make a FSUIPC "read" of e.g. offset 6020 (which is the GPS altitude) the returned values seem to update in a 1 second interval only.

Actually all the GPS values are mapped directly into the FS memory where they are maintained by FS. FSUIPC does nothing with them. I don't use the FS GPS's but my guess is that this is their actual refresh rate in FS. Maybe this is deliberate, to simulate those many GPS units which seem to have a one second update rate.

Regards,

Pete