#1 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:18 AM

How come sometimes the A/T wont engage and the lil red "A/T First" light blinks?...its doing this to me right now...haha

ok another question....i just flew the 737 in europe for the frist time...

i use the default planner...when i went to enter the airways into the FMC a lot of them said Invalid entry..like FS said to use airway UR1 omdg FMC said invalid entry, or not in database..what am i doing wrong? or is the default planner just not good for europe?

i entered everything as i entered it when flying in the us. Jetways LSK vors RSK

#2 Guest_spookymufu_*

Guest_spookymufu_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:37 AM

put the airways letter code in the right side of the FMC and it should work, I have no idea about the A/T tho

#3 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:30 AM

The problem with the default FS planner is that it is old, very old.

The PMDG FMC uses up to date navdata, especially if you download the updates from Richard Stefan's site, and that data changes far more frequently than the navdadt for the USA. That is why the FMC would not accept the airway entries.
If you are serious about flight simming I suggest you invest in a good planner, either FSNavigator or FSBuild.
FSNav can be used 20 times before you have to buy it.
Both of those can be updated with current navdata so you can be sure the correct airways and navaids can be entered into the FMC.
You can also use Routefinder to generate an accurate flight plan
http://rfinder.asalink.net/

Not sure about the A/T problem, never had it myself. Check through the PMDG manual and cross check your settings, and check if the FMC is giving any warnings, or post more details of what happens when the A/T won't engage.
HTH
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#4 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:16 AM

i thought the prob. was the default planner.....thank you!

Are there any free programs for this? If not which prog. do you rec?

#5 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:06 AM

Since I started simming in '98 I have used FSNav and love it, others rate FSBuild.

FSBuild has more functions such as calculating fuel burn for various aircraft, exporting the flight plan in various formats for use in FMCs and many others.
However I find it less easy to create a flight plan than FSNav and I also prefer the moving map of FSNav.

Support for FSNav from the author is virtually none existant but the forum is populated by many long time users who help each other.
Support from the author of FSBuild is better, or so I believe but it is a long time since I used FSBuild although I have the payware version installed.

It's a shame Ernie Alston (FSBuild) does not allow limited free use of FSBuild then you could try both planners and see which you prefer.

My own perception, which may be wrong, is that FSBuild is more suited to USA flights than European flights which are the ones I usually do.
HTH
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#6 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:56 AM

How do you add the fixes into the pmdg fmc that FSnav puts in the sids/stars?

#7 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

How do you add the fixes into the pmdg fmc that FSnav puts in the sids/stars?

PMDG FMC comes with almost a complete set of SID's & STAR's so you shouldn't need to add any from FSNav

If there are no SID's or STAR's for a particular airport, AND that airport does have SID's & STAR's in real life, grab the charts and create them yourself.

The FMC will accept waypoints in various formats (read the manual) but often it will accept the waypoint name shown in FSNav, give it a try.
HTH
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#8 roymonty

roymonty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:29 PM

Hi Vulcan, Sorry to drop in on conversation but could I ask you a related question? I have just recently purchased both PMGD series and FS Navigator (which I think is brilliant). Being fairly new to FS sims I was wondering if I made a flight plan, which system would be easier to file and use? I suppose I am asking the same question to any addon aircraft.

#9 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hi Roy,

Any add-on aircraft that includes a fully functioning FMC should be used with that FMC and not FSnav, in fact trying to fly such aircraft using FSNav will probably not work.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'file' Roy.

IF you, or anyone on this board, need more detailed help you are welcome to PM me rather than go into possibly lengthy explanations here.
Rgds
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#10 roymonty

roymonty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Vulcan. Sorry for the word "file", I really meant plan. Also thanks for your offer> Will keep in touch.

#11 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

thanks for your help...you guys are great....one more question....isnt the pmdg supposed to descend itself? it never does for me. i get the 83(random number) TOD but then it doesnt des. do u have to hit des. now?

#12 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

If you program the FMC correctly and make sure the ToD is not before the ToC and you reset the altitude in the MCP then it should descend itself.

Remember that if you still have say 20,000ft dialed in on the MCP it will not descend below that altitude.
HTH
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#13 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

yeah...that could be the reason....haha...whoops..... :oops:

#14 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:38 AM

ok that was part of the problem....heres an update....when i get to the TOD the FMC says "PTH DES NOT AVAILIBLE" what am i not doing?

Thanks,
Marc

#15 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

ok that was part of the problem....heres an update....when i get to the TOD the FMC says "PTH DES NOT AVAILIBLE" what am i not doing?

Thanks,
Marc

Not sure Marc because I can't see your flight deck from here :)

It sounds like you have not programmed the FMC correctly, maybe no end point in the flight plan, or you may have asked for too steep a descent.

I suggest you read the manual and work through the FMC step by step especially if you are new to using FMC's.
Also if you use the PMDG support forum over at http://www.avsim.com you will probably have more people to help you.
Rgds
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

#16 marc985

marc985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

ok thanks....i like the step by step tutorials on avsim

#17 belairvideo

belairvideo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:46 AM

Hi Folks!

Sorry to completely change the topic - but I have installed FSWIDE but (I'm an idiot) don't understand it!!

I know that I can't use FS gauges etc, but what is the typical use for FSWIDE? I want to have outside views on the server, and gauges on the clients. Is there a typical setup used by other simmers? Do they have to buy add-on aircraft and gauges to make it work?

Somebody mentioned PMDG software (what's this, and how does it help?)

ANY HELP - ANYBODY?

Many thanks.

TONY GERARD, Plymouth, U.K.

#18 Orlaam

Orlaam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ | KPHX

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

I believe the path not available message comes when the descent is too steep. It's important to make sure you don't put unrealistic expectations on the descend constraints. Like dropping 5000 feet in 1nm. It helps to spread out the descent path and make it start early. Sometimes you can get that message when it's close and get out of VNAV and then reengage VNAV to force it to work. Just depends on the angle and limitation of the plane.
Chris
abit IP35 Pro | Intel E6850 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB | Patriot DDR2 800 SDRAM 2GB | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | 2 Seagate SATA 7200.10 250GB | Thermaltake 750W Modular | Apevia X-TELSTAR-AL Case | LG 20x DVD/CD-RW | Windows XP Pro SP2 | CH USB Yoke & Pedals | Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard | Labtec Speaker System

#19 Keith Sebastian

Keith Sebastian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDoha, Qatar

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:35 AM

marc985 - Try going through the tutorial flights in Advance Operations Tutorial by Timothy Metzinger.

http://www.fsrapid.c...37tngadvtut.zip

This doc has five flights which cover everything from cold&dark startup (do this to avoid your A/T problems), hand flyown manual landings, FMC programing and auto lands.

-Keith

#20 Vulcan

Vulcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStockport UK

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

Tony,

I suggest you post your question as a new thread then folks can see it.

I assume you mean Wideview BTW?
Vulcan
8nm NE EGCC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket