The simFlight Network Forums

ADVDisplay problem...!

Guest t-a-h

Guest t-a-h

Hi Pete,

I have installed the latest of your ADVDisplay. Whenever I activate it and dock it somehwere within my 2D panel of any plane, I get a realy nice problem! The screen flickers as when it fold and unfolds itself, the mouse cursor becomes funny little and doubled and all my graphiccard gets confused. When I disable ADVDisplay, it is all ok. I have already installed many different nvidia drivers from http://www.guru3d, but that didnt help. I can remember the time when it was just functioning normal. I have a Epox 8k3a mainboard, AOpen GF4 4200 550MHz, 768 MB DDR 2100 and Windows XP Pro SP1. Do you need more info about my system?

So, can you tell me what is going on? Can it be that it has something to do with latest windows update of Directx9 via automatic windows update function??? Some configuration I should better not have activated with RivaTuner2? I have installed the nvidia detonator driver 42.90

Ciao

t-a-h

I have installed the latest of your ADVDisplay. Whenever I activate it and dock it somehwere within my 2D panel of any plane, I get a realy nice problem!Do you need more info about my system?

No, sorry, it won't help me I'm afraid. AdvDisplay uses just standard Windows routines to open a completely and utterly standard Window. I have no idea why your are getting such odd results, but I'm afraid there's really nothing I can do. I think you may be okay if you run in Windowed mode instead of full screen (press ALT+ENTER). I think all future versions of FS will be like this. I may have to abandon Advdisplay as it is and think of an alternative, if one is possible.

So, can you tell me what is going on? Can it be that it has something to do with latest windows update of Directx9

Possibly it is DX9. But if so it won't be the AdvDisplay code which is plain standard window code, but probably the attempt to superimpose an ordinary window on top of FS's Direct3D window. Try using Windowed mode. I think this will become mandatory, as I say. I cannot solve it for the forthcoming FS9 and Microsoft say it is impossible. :-(

Regards,

Pete

Guest t-a-h

Hi Pete,

well, I always run FS2k2 in window mode. I see that the text within the ADVDisplay flickers and as soon I click into this display the flipping-flicker problem gets wourse.

I have DX9 now a looong time and never had a problem like that befor. I dont wanna reinstall WinXP pro all over again.

Ciao

Torben.

t-a-h

well, I always run FS2k2 in window mode. I see that the text within the ADVDisplay flickers and as soon I click into this display the flipping-flicker problem gets wourse.

In windowed mode? Wow! I have no idea what could do that -- Do other programs flicker too? When superimposing itself in Windowed mode, AdvDisplay's window is just another window, it isn't a child of FS, nor owned by FS, so it just behaves like any other program. When docked I just have to monitor the docked component (whatever that is -- you can check it in the PANEL.CFG as mentioned in the Doc) so I know when to hide it.

Does it do the same in "Locked" mode? That's exactly the same as Docked except I don't have to monitor the panel component, as it doesn't go away with the panel (you can use an FSUIPC hot key instead).

I have a Version 2.02 almost ready to go -- I'll probably release it tomorrow (Monday). It has some diagnostic code removed, and will auto-undock when disabled, but apart from that there's no change.

I run it here on Win2000Pro with DX9, Win98SE with DX9 and WinXP with DX9, and I cannot reproduce anything like the problems you have. I use a mixture of nVidia cards and Matrox.

Sorry I'm not much help. You could try running the "ShowText" utility instead (set "hide always" in the AdvDisplay popup options). ShowText IS a separate program, so it isn't even running in the same process as FS. If its window cannot be seen stable on top of FS's Window then I don't think there's anything anyone can do.

Regards,

Pete

Guest t-a-h

Hi,

well, I guess the problem is gone for now. I reinstalled driver, installed the complete DX9 package (in case some files didnt get installed by windows auto-installer) and pushed the CPU core voltage just a tiny bit, 'cause it flickers between 1,63V and 1,61V. Now it stays between 1.63 and 1.65V. I dont know why the voltage is so low, as well in other voltages. I run a 460W power unit! That should even power a big server!

So, I dont know what exactly did the trick for now, but it works. My system is more stable now.

Ciao

torben

t-a-h