The simFlight Network Forums

Calibration problem between Logitech joysticks and FSUIPC

I've been very happy with my registered version of FSUIPC for some time now. I've used two different joysticks from Logitech, one wired and the latest one is wireless. I changed from wire to wireless when my wired EXTREME 3D PRO joystick continue to lose calibration just before landing and while taxing. With my new FREEDOM 2.4 cordless joystick, that problem was gone. However, no matter which joystick I use now I can't get either one calibrated. It leads me to believe that the problem lays with FSUIPC. Assistance would be appreciated in this matter.

However, no matter which joystick I use now I can't get either one calibrated. It leads me to believe that the problem lays with FSUIPC. Assistance would be appreciated in this matter.

WHY on Earth do you think this? What possible cause have you to believe that?

FSUIPC does not calibrate joysticks! It can optionally (upon your instructions only) do final tweaking of the internal FS controls that result from joystick inputs, but to calibrate a joystick you need to use Windows Game Controllers.

FSUIPC actually knows nothing whatsoever about joystick axes, and doesn't even touch any of the internal axis values unless you tell it to.

If you've been messing about in the Joysticks tabs of FSUIPC options and don't know what you've done, and you don't understand the documentation, simply delete the Joystick Calibration sections from the FSUIPC.INI file (or delete the whole INI file) so that FSUIPC has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Regards,

Pete

I was simply trying to narrow down the possibilities. Knowing what I do now by what you are saying, I can move on to the next step.

Okay. One thing you should be sure to check is the setting in FS of the sensitivity and null zone sliders -- Options-Controls-Sensitivities. It seems FS has a rather nasty habit of setting sensitivities to zero when it sees new joysticks! With zero sensitivity you'll get no response.

If you do wish to calibrate the axes in FS you are best setting all sensitivities to maximum (slider furthest right) and all null zones to minimum (slider furthest left).

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete for your suggestions. I've try just about everything and still the same problem. One thing that came to mind, I didn't start having this problem until I started to use PMDG's 747. Right after I used the pushback feature, it began to act up. May or may not have anything to do with it, but I'm trying to rattle my brain to come up with an answer. :cry:

Thanks Pete for your suggestions. I've try just about everything and still the same problem. One thing that came to mind, I didn't start having this problem until I started to use PMDG's 747. Right after I used the pushback feature, it began to act up. May or may not have anything to do with it, but I'm trying to rattle my brain to come up with an answer. :cry:

If they ONLY act up with one particular aircraft, then it probably won't really be anything to do with the actual joysticks or drivers. If they act up with all aircraft then it seems more likely that either the joysticks are playing up, or the driver is.

But all you've described is that you can't calibrate them?

Have you checked the USB side of things? I seem to remember that some folks have had trouble with USB devices losing connection because Windows is set to "save power" by switching off the USB devices if they are not active for a while. You might just need to switch the power saving option off somewhere in Windows.

Regards,

Pete

Well, the problem occurs with all aircrafts, but didn't start until I started using PMDG 747. However, I took the advise of a fellow simmer at a different forum and decided to remove all Logitech software for the joystick and allow Windows to natively calibrate the joystick. Although it's not perfect, and the yoke has jerky moves, I was able to center the handle rotation and handle position. I can fly again, although not as good as before I had this problem. Some how I think a file or program has become corrupted. If it was the joystick that was damaged, it wouldn't have corrected it self as much as it did. I will continue to dig deeper for a better solution. :roll:

It's the joystick Pete. I confirmed it when my son came over with his joystick. He has the same one and it worked fine on my computer. He tried mine and he had the same problem I did. So I guess it's to the store to buy a yoke. I'm done with joysticks :wink:

Thanks for letting me know!

Pete