#1 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:02 AM

I to am having frame rate problems with Harvey and Monroe as well as ground textures,close to the ground up to about 7,000 feet.When i get within the airfield areas i get frame rate drops and studdering,i do not have this problem anywhere else.

My pooter is high ended.Is there a patch or update for this scenery to correct the blurry ground textures.I do not use mega scenery.

For a payware i am not satisfied with it,because i go for quality scenery the best i can get.

I do have most all GeoRender products before the company broke up,and others.

if there is no updates i will probably delete it and absorb the loss,since i bought it at simmarket.com.

THX

George :x

#2 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

Sorry to hear you are having problems George.
There could be a (very small) stutter when you approach the area, becasue it needs to read in the photo texture and paint the objects, but after that little hiccup everything should be smooth. It is on my machine.

I think Bob will drop in here to try and help you....

Meanwhile, could you remind me again of your system specs?

Kindest regards,
Francois

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#3 6297J

6297J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

This is what I get at Harvey/Monore. It will be all clear and then suddenly everything, including the VC snaps into major blur until I've left the area and it gradually comes back into focus again. Never found or heard of a solution as of yet. Curiously, frame rates are pretty good, it's just the sudden blurriness that stops me flying there.

P2.66, 1gb DDR, 9800 Pro

Attached Files

#4 bob5568

bob5568

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'm troubled to hear of both ur problems. We saw none of this in Beta test that I recall. Do you folks mind me doing a trial and error review of your computer settings?

To start, what is your mip map quality set at, and what is your max terrain tex size?

Best,
Bob Bernstein

#5 6297J

6297J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Mine is like this -
I have tried fiddling with Mip map levels before but with no effect on Harvey.

Attached Files

#6 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:38 AM

OK, as to the question of my computer specs, I have the following:

I am using a Thermaltake Armor Full Tower Case with a PC Power and Cooling 510W Deluxe PS.

I'm running an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MB with the NForce 3 Ultra Chipset, an AMD Athlon 64, FX-53 CPU at 2.41 GHz, 2 Gig of Corsair XMS memory, 4 Western Digital 160 Gig SATA 7200 rpm drives in a RAID 0 configuration, and a BFG GeForce 6800 GT/OC with 256 Meg of GDDR3. Not that it's important, but I am running Lite-On DVDROM and CDROM and a Plextor CDRW.

The entire system is liquid-cooled by the Thermaltake "Big Cooler" system. I am really concerned about temps, so there are 3 120 MM fans, two in front and one cooling the radiator as well as 2 80 MM in key locations. With all of this, my CPU temp never hits above 40 C under a full load, which for AMD is pretty darn cool! The OC video card hovers around 55 C under a full load. I have no problems with that.

I run a cheap logisys keyboard because the keys illuminate nicely for nightime flying. I run a fairly standard logitech optical scroll mouse. My speakers are Logitech Z5500's which absolutely ROCK the house. (Believe it or not, I am using the onboard sound on the MSI. I'm having better luck with it than I did with the Sound Blaster Audigy that I once had.)

I'm using the CH yoke while I wait for the Go-Flight version to come out. I do have a complete center console built up with an entire compliment of Go-flight modules.

I'm stopping here for specs. Am going to make another post discussing my concerns for the scenery.

#7 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:15 AM

The screen shots are of my settings. Everything is pretty well maxed out.

Included some screen shots of the Harvey Field area. All but two shots were taken at 3300 ft. The others were taken at 1600 ft.

As you can see, the airport is beautiful, clean and nice. The surrounding area is blurry and awful at any altitude though. Can't get more than about 15 fps while at the airport with lots of stuttering. I have the computer locked at 40 and can normally get 30-35 anywhere else. I don't understand why I'm taking such a hit at Harvey-Monroe and why the immediate surrounding scenery is so blurry and awful.

Attached Files

#8 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:17 AM

A few more.....

Attached Files

#9 bob5568

bob5568

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

Hi George, I'm struggling to figure out how to troubleshoot this, when I don't have the problem.

My system is quite modest compared to all of you, I have an athlon xp 2400, nforce2 chipset mobo, 1gb of ram, ati radeon 9800pro vid.

Performance is smooth.

You'll note my settings are modest. I can certainly cause my system to have performance problems, but that's true independant of Harvey field.

I'm open to suggestion.

How can I help? Should we gather the beta testers and poll them? I addressed all bugs reported during that time, as far as I know.

Best,

Bob Bernstein

PS..you posted just as I was. I get bad performance with 100% 3d clouds settings. The max lights brings down my system too. Seems you've made some choices that slow down the system and you're concernced that the system slows down. How I can help?

Attached Files

#10 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:53 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the prompt response!

I'm really not THAT concerned about the stuttering and low fps right now. I sometimes sacrifice performance (not too much mind you, ha!) for lots of effects, nice scenery, etc.

Normally in other areas, (I have more payware sceneries than you can imagine!!) I have beautiful scenery and good performance. I'm honestly not very happy with the quality of Harvey-Monroe when consideration is given to the associated performance hit.

My REAL concern is the blurry areas that I outlined. Can you take a screen shot on your machine of the smae areas that I took screen shots of? I'd like to see how they compare! Thanks!

See example below of great spayware scenery that has good performance also.

George-

#11 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:55 AM

ooops

#12 George Kuhn

George Kuhn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTucson,Arizona

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:55 AM

Here's a fly tamps scenery.

Nice graphics, effects and no performance hit.

Attached Files

#13 bob5568

bob5568

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:10 AM

Hi George, not at my home computer now, but I'll post screenies tomorrow.

Sorry you are unhappy with my work. Its hard to compare my work to others, as there are many ways to design. Its not obvious in the flytampa screeny whether they used photoreal lod13 textures or perhaps just decorated around the default using vtp lines (I'm of course talking about the area away from the detailed airport polygon.) Without appearing to nit-pik the screeny you show, but the transition from airport to ground polygons does look quite rough compared to mine, which I would associate to the design approach being vtp lines and polygons and landclass update vs photo imagry.

I prefer using photoimagry, but some designers prefer against it to improve performance. Its a tradeoff.

My structures all have multiple model LODs to optimize performance. My photoreal was created per the SDK guidelines.

Do you have other photoreal that works better? Do you have any megascenery? Can you reduce your settings and find a compromise that works far better without sacrificing noticeably?

I would like very much to find a way for you to enjoy Harvey-Monroe. I'll keep thinking about it.

Bob

#14 bob5568

bob5568

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:22 AM

http://forums.simfli...pic.php?t=45387

George, this topic above (in the emma field folder) is all about a different user upset with blurring in megascenery. Megascenery used the same design techique I used, (and even used the same imagry as I did, thou I like my photoediting and autogen better!). Perhaps that thread will shed light on the subject.

I'll review it myself.
B

#15 Bushpilot30

Bushpilot30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:19 AM

Maybe off base here but I had similar issues - I don't recall where. Here are some things to try, all ones I did to solve things:

- lock frames to 20 - 22, no need for more,
- try different drivers (for graphics), newest are not always the best,
- un-check, on the aircraft tab, "Aircraft casts shadows" - I found the largest performance boost with this one.

Good luck
Posted Image
AOPA 05765288
COPA 1594439
Posted Image

#16 ilya1502

ilya1502

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationULLI

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

To correct the blurries, try to add mipmaps for textures. This must help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket