Photo

The forum is moving - PLEASE READ !!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ilan

Ilan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:28 AM

Dear All,

The existing forum provided by SimFlight is about to move to its natural location:

http://www.hangsim.com/forums

This move was requested by Simflight in order to save their bandwidth, and is welcomed because it will allow us to be independant of other providers, and without limitations, banners etc.

I will keep this link alive for several days so you can log into the new forum at your own time, and perhaps re post some of the open topics.

I was not able to retrieve a backup of the old forum ( this one ...) from SimFlight so it is a fresh start.

Please register at http://www.hangsim.com/forums
update your user information and post what you need in order to have some continuity with this forum.
Thank you

Ilan Papini
Quality Simulations
http://www.hangsim.com

#2 Mattaf

Mattaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain... and proud of it!

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

ARGH! MUST SAVE VS THE MOVIE! :shock:

*Goes on a mad saving spree*
VS The Movie II - Return of the Sailors

"Eat your vitamins, pretend your hilarious... and always, always obey the forum rules!"

#3 Travis Reed

Travis Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, US

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

ARGH! MUST SAVE VS THE MOVIE! :shock:

*Goes on a mad saving spree*

*logs in as root, finds the VS, The Movie stuff (1 and 2, and any for 3), then hits the delete button* :twisted:

Well guys, this is likely where I will depart as I'm unsure as to whether I will end up registering over at the new forum...
Current Project: Phoenix 1000 (on hold)
Mobo: Shuttle AN35N-400 | CPU: AMD Duron 1.6 Ghz | RAM: 1536 MB PC 2100 | Video: ATI Radeon 9550 OCed to 400 256MB DDR 400 | Sound: nForce 2 w/ 5.1 surround spkrs | OS: WinXP SP2 | VS 7b2

#4 Mattaf

Mattaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

*Chucks travis reed overboard. Grins as sharks move in to devour him.*

Already backed it up anyway. :P

"Eat your vitamins, pretend your hilarious... and always, always obey the forum rules!"

#5 Travis Reed

Travis Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

*climbs aboard the Seawolf via the diver lockout chamber and hacks into Matt's computer, deleting his backups*
Mobo: Shuttle AN35N-400 | CPU: AMD Duron 1.6 Ghz | RAM: 1536 MB PC 2100 | Video: ATI Radeon 9550 OCed to 400 256MB DDR 400 | Sound: nForce 2 w/ 5.1 surround spkrs | OS: WinXP SP2 | VS 7b2

#6 Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLelystad, The Netherlands

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

Well guys, this is likely where I will depart as I'm unsure as to whether I will end up registering over at the new forum...

But... But... Why??? :shock:

#7 bobhog

bobhog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCheshire UK.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

But... But... Why??? :shock:

One possible reason is that a lot of good people have spent a lot of good time building this forum into an invaluable data base of information, indeed one could say a veritable Aladins Cave, and all this is going to be lost, unless it can be moved to the new forum, as people are not going to re-enter everything that they have previously contributed.
I think that this is a very bad move, but unlike Travis, I will register on the new forum, if this is being shut down, the new forum will be better than none. It will take many years for it to become the useful reference that this present forum has become.
One final point is that we are supposed to be a community, and that should involve a certain amount of democratic decision making.
THIS IS NOT APPARENT!
Bob Hoggarth.
Posted Image

#8 Charlotte

Charlotte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationS34'5" E138'4"

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:42 AM

Now now guys, some times things are forced upon us so the decission making is out of our hands. This is one of those! We have no choice but to move and we have made some effort to migrate this data, however we are uncertain as to whether it is possible.

We all need to stick together now and lend a helping hand rather than to rub the salt in any further.
Charlotte
Don't forget to add your requests for the next version of VS to the VS WishList at
http://www.virtual-sailor.net/
Posted Image

#9 Karbine

Karbine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:43 AM

I agree,unless the database can be moved you will loose many members indeed and lots of there work.

But if thats the only forum,i have no choice than to sign up...
Posted Image
Karbines Site >> Riverthames.co.nr
Bringing Thames boats To Virtual Sailor ;)
*Current Project* Tidy Thames

#10 Travis Reed

Travis Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:22 AM

*is still a little miffed that all of the help he recieved in various threads on scenery and ship creation will just vanish without a trace*

I still look at that stuff occasionally...

*wanders off in a huff*

#11 bobhog

bobhog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCheshire UK.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:52 AM

some times things are forced upon us so the decission making is out of our hands. This is one of those! We have no choice

Ilan's post spoke of a "Request by SimFlight", this does not, to me anyway, imply that there was not an element of choise.
Bob Hoggarth.
Posted Image

#12 PanelMan

PanelMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationParis (Fr)

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

But not only VS Forum is moving! :shock:

Many others too.............! :evil:

I Hate this MINUS Simflight forum! :evil:
During 2 years It was impossible to Log In on this forum, and the MINUS Support of Simflight Forum never replied to my many requests.....! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :x :? :cry: :wink:

OK!, it's my last message on this forum!, it's time to moving NO...! :oops:
Jean-Marc Legris

#13 SabreHawk

SabreHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRenton, Wa. USA

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:12 PM

Well I for one am happy about it, change is always inevitible.............and change can be good.
And in this case, the new forum the way it looks to me so far has the potential to be a much more diverse one.

There are always very positive things to find in what seems at first to be a negative. :wink:
Posted Image
"Altitude,..... airspeed,.....& brains. At least two of these are always needed for successful flight"

#14 cecil-the-sailor

cecil-the-sailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUp a creek without a paddle

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

a lot of good people have spent a lot of good time building this forum into an invaluable data base of information, indeed one could say a veritable Aladins Cave, and all this is going to be lost, unless it can be moved to the new forum, as people are not going to re-enter everything that they have previously contributed.
I think that this is a very bad move, but unlike Travis, I will register on the new forum, if this is being shut down, the new forum will be better than none. It will take many years for it to become the useful reference that this present forum has become.
One final point is that we are supposed to be a community, and that should involve a certain amount of democratic decision making.
THIS IS NOT APPARENT!

I could not agree more with you, Bob.
Cecil

#15 bobhog

bobhog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCheshire UK.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

A big THANK YOU,Cecil, at least I have one friend.
btw - Is there any room up that creek for someone else without a paddle?
Bob Hoggarth.
Posted Image

#16 Bob_Soup

Bob_Soup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

It would be a shame to loose all the posts, and since both forums seem to be using the same software I don't see how it could be that hard to migrate, but even if it isn't possible, we've gone through several different forums before, and everything is still around.

#17 Mattaf

Mattaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

Read request as "we're fed up with you, get lost."

Face it... simflight just don't like us... :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket