• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iain Williams

Iain Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationHobart, Tasmania, Australia (YMHB)

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hello:

ATC when plugged for a landing replies with "enter right traffic runway 34R". Then, later on when plugged for a landing suggests "enter left traffic runway 34R". Both scenarios have identical weather.

Can someone please explain what enter left/right actually means?

Surely ATC would not say "enter right traffic runway 34R" & expect a 737 to enter on the right side of the runway, then cross 34L to get to 34R!

BTW example is KSEA

Perhaps I am missing something here? Many thanks........Iain

#2 JSkorna

JSkorna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

The right/left mean the direction of the turns you will make in order to complete the traffic pattern and land.

Both 34L and 34R are runways that follow the same direction, 340, so it is good that FS04 is using both runways.
Thanks,
Jim

#3 CBris

CBris

Kitchen Cynic and Phriday Filosopher

• Administrators
  • 7,302 posts
  • Locationnear ETHS

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

The right/left mean the direction of the turns you will make in order to complete the traffic pattern and land.

Both 34L and 34R are runways that follow the same direction, 340, so it is good that FS04 is using both runways.

I'll go along with that JSkorna, but ID's problem is a "join left" on 34R - that would place his downwind leg over 34L... could be awkward if 34L is active as well. I certainly wouldn't want to be downwind over an active - no matter whether it's being used for take off or landing :shock: :lol:
Chris B, aka "Dances with paintbrushes", aka EagleSkinner

Posted Image

"EagleSkinner" repaints can be found on my homepage (click the image)

My Blog
Follow me on Facebook too

#4 Iain Williams

Iain Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi guys - thanks for the replies & confirmation that the direction is the vector you turn to make your base leg.

Yes Chris that is my concern - passing over 34L when asked to join left to 34R. In the instance I am referring to, 34R and 34L were active. I had to zap between two landing jets on 34L.

I know this doesn't happen in the real world (well I hope not when I'm a passenger).

Probably just a small bug with FS9. Thanks again for clarifying the direction. Best................IAIN

#5 tim arnot

tim arnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationEngland. Just past the bus stop, on the left.

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

Where you have parallel runways (34L and 34R are parallel runways), the L runway would normally have a left circuit pattern (ie all turns to the left) and the R runway would have a right-hand circuit pattern. That way the traffic for each runway will not cross the path of the other. You can imagine that it's doubly important to fly accurately, maintaining the runway heading on takeoff and finals.

I cannot imagine anywhere would attempt to do it the other way around -- that's just asking for major carnage. So I'd guess it's a bug in FS (Maybe the programmer had his L and R socks on the wrong feet that day?). Sadly the two most important phrases in a pilot's vocabulary -- "Negative" and "Unable to comply" never seem to appear in the list of options. As pilot in command, you are responsible for your actions (not the ATC guy), so if you feel it is unsafe (and it is...) crossing the approach path to the other runway, Don't do it; make a sensible join and argue the toss on the ground.
Posted Image
EFC1168. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
And a blog too!

#6 RFields

RFields

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationPawPaw's House

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

According to the stock airport settings all the runways at KSEA should have a left traffic pattern.

This isn't a "bug" because the program is doing exactly what the configuration tells it to do. Different configuration information is probably not in the Jeppsen charts. If it's a "bug" it's a Jeppsen bug.

In your two scenarios' were you coming from the same airport, were you flying VFR or IFR, did you request a different runway or approach than the one originally offered? Were you east or west of the airport?

Every one of those variables will create a different behavior - a different instruction from the ATC.

FS is not designed to control your aircraft to avoid routes used by other traffic - including / especially landing patterns at multiple runway airports.

That is beyond the processing load our computers could handle at this time.

If you request the distant runway, FS will expect you to avoid other traffic inbound on the closer ruway.

Something we could hope for in the future - maybe.

If you want that level of realism, you really need to be flying on line with VatSim or IAVO.
Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

#7 Iain Williams

Iain Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

Thanks Tim and R Fields - I didn't realise RF that FS acted this way - so I've learnt something. Take care....IAIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket