The simFlight Network Forums

Newbie with connection troubles

Guest Aaron

Guest Aaron

Lets see I have put all the files in there proper place (both Server and Client) and in the ini file on my client I tried typing in my servers computer name and that doesn't work. I get "Needs TC/IP or server name". So I try using the IP Address that you get when you use multiplayer connect in FS. I type that in the ini file IPAddr=xxx.xx.xx.xxx. And I still get the same failure. I am trying to run Megenta demo with widefs. I am using linksys Router.

Any suggestions?

Guest Aaron

Lets see I have put all the files in there proper place (both Server and Client) and in the ini file on my client I tried typing in my servers computer name and that doesn't work. I get "Needs TC/IP or server name". So I try using the IP Address that you get when you use multiplayer connect in FS. I type that in the ini file IPAddr=xxx.xx.xx.xxx. And I still get the same failure. I am trying to run Megenta demo with widefs. I am using linksys Router.

Any suggestions?

Confirm you are using the latest version, WideFS 5.50, please.

You need to show me your INI files (both WideClient and WideServer.ini files) and the Log files produced by both, too. The information needed is in these files.

The format of the parameter you need is "ServerName=..." or "ServerIPAddr=..." -- if you are typing "IPAddr= ..." as you say then it is wrong. Please read the documentation more clearly.

The IP address you use in FS for Multiplayer will *not* be the IPAddress of your FS PC in any case. You should be assigning a fixed IPAddress on you LAN for each PC, in the TCP/IP properties in Windows Networks.

Please note that *everything* I know about Networks is embodied in the WideFS documentation. If you have any problem not already covered there, you need help with your Network and you need someone who knows more than I. In particular, if your PCs are connected using a Router as a Hub or Switch, it is possible that there are firewalls or other blockages being set there which you have to sort out. A router is for connection to the Internet, it is otherwise not required for a Local Network. I think some routers provide hub-type facilities too, so you need to check what it is doing.

BTW, have you tried Magenta support? I think they may know much more about Networks than I.

Pete

You need to show me your INI files (both WideClient and WideServer.ini files) and the Log files produced by both, too. The information needed is in these files.

The format of the parameter you need is "ServerName=..." or "ServerIPAddr=..." -- if you are typing "IPAddr= ..." as you say then it is wrong. Please read the documentation more clearly.

The IP address you use in FS for Multiplayer will *not* be the IPAddress of your FS PC in any case. You should be assigning a fixed IPAddress on you LAN for each PC, in the TCP/IP properties in Windows Networks.

Please note that *everything* I know about Networks is embodied in the WideFS documentation. If you have any problem not already covered there, you need help with your Network and you need someone who knows more than I. In particular, if your PCs are connected using a Router as a Hub or Switch, it is possible that there are firewalls or other blockages being set there which you have to sort out. A router is for connection to the Internet, it is otherwise not required for a Local Network. I think some routers provide hub-type facilities too, so you need to check what it is doing.

BTW, have you tried Magenta support? I think they may know much more about Networks than I.

Pete

Guest Gérard

Any suggestions?

Hi Aaron

Try this link to use SB and WideFs on my website

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gerard.bernard/sbwidefsen.htm

Friendly

Gerard Bernard

F-GEGB Montelimar

twenckie@wanadoo.fr

Helps for beginners? Visit my pages!

Other helps for SB on a LAN

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gerard.bernard/

Guest Gérard

Any suggestions?

Hi Aaron

Try this link to use SB and WideFs on my website

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gerard.bernard/sbwidefsen.htm

Friendly

Gerard Bernard

F-GEGB Montelimar

twenckie@wanadoo.fr

Guest Gérard

Pete

Hello Pete

I am happy WideFs user from 4.30 version without any problem, except with this last version 5.50, and I confirm that

the connection does not make with the PC server...

I give you the files you need to help you to see the prob...

I'm using XP on server and Win 98 SE on client

I see no pop up window error but the connection don't come

WideServer.ini

; PLEASE SEE WideServer.Txt for parameter details

; ===============================================

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; These are commented out and default off. Read the

; .TXT file before changing or uncommenting them

;ShowCounts=Yes

;Run1=d:\RealWx\rwx5.exe

WideClient.ini

; PLEASE SEE WideClient.Txt for parameter details

;===============================================

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.1

ServerNode=0.18457.0.0.256

Port=8002

Window=13,417,1015,333

Visible=yes

Timeout=20

[user]

Log=Errors+

Run3=C:\pmTCAS\pmTCAS.exe

Run1=\\gerard\c\Program Files\~Squawkbox2\squawkbox.exe

Run2=\\gerard\c\Program Files\Resounding\Roger Wilco\Roger.exe

;ShowCounts=Yes

;EFISkbfocus=Yes

;ActionKeys=Yes

WideClient.log

===============================================

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 5.50] *********

Date (dmy): 03/05/03, Time 00:39:48.210: Client name is GERARD

186 Attempting to connect now

1755 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

1810 Ready to try connection again

1826 Attempting to connect now

10370 New Client Application: "SQUAWKBOX" (Id=-1610491)

56351 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

56351 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0

56351 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 88 Freed 88 Refused 0) *********

With 5.40 version, no problem appears...

Hope this help, and take your time to find solution, you are retired soon

then think of you, goes fishing a little , from time to time and many thank to you for all that you make for us

Goodbye

Friendly

Gerard Bernard

F-GEGB Montelimar

twenckie@wanadoo.fr

Guest Gérard

Pete

Hello Pete

I am happy WideFs user from 4.30 version without any problem, except with this last version 5.50, and I confirm that

the connection does not make with the PC server...

I'm using XP on server and Win 98 SE on client

I see no pop up window error but the connection don't come

WideServer.ini

; PLEASE SEE WideServer.Txt for parameter details

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

[user]

Log=Errors+

;ShowCounts=Yes

;Run1=d:\RealWx\rwx5.exe

WideClient.ini

; PLEASE SEE WideClient.Txt for parameter details

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.1

ServerNode=0.18457.0.0.256

Port=8002

Window=13,417,1015,333

Visible=yes

Timeout=20

[user]

Log=Errors+

Run3=C:\pmTCAS\pmTCAS.exe

Run1=\\gerard\c\Program Files\~Squawkbox2\squawkbox.exe

Run2=\\gerard\c\Program Files\Resounding\Roger Wilco\Roger.exe

;ShowCounts=Yes

;EFISkbfocus=Yes

;ActionKeys=Yes

WideClient.log

===============================================

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 5.50] *********

Date (dmy): 03/05/03, Time 00:39:48.210: Client name is GERARD

186 Attempting to connect now

1755 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

1810 Ready to try connection again

1826 Attempting to connect now

10370 New Client Application: "SQUAWKBOX" (Id=-1610491)

56351 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

56351 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0

56351 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 88 Freed 88 Refused 0) *********

Hope this help, and take your time to find solution, you are retired soon

then think of you, goes fishing a little , from time to time and many thank to you for all that you make for us

Goodbye

Friendly

Gerard Bernard

F-GEGB Montelimar

twenckie@wanadoo.fr

Guest Aaron

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ServerName=AMDComputer

[user]

Log=Errors+

This is my ini file in wide client on the client pc. I am trying to use TCP/IP for the connection. Win 98 on Client pc and XP pro on server. I do not have IPX installed. Server computer name is AMDComputer.

My wide server looks like this:

[Config]

UseTCPIP=yes

Port=8002

; ---------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

;----------------------------------

Aaron

Guest Aaron

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ServerName=AMDComputer

[user]

Log=Errors+

This is my ini file in wide client on the client pc. I am trying to use TCP/IP for the connection. Win 98 on Client pc and XP pro on server. I do not have IPX installed. Server computer name is AMDComputer.

[Config]

UseTCPIP=yes

Port=8002

[user]

Log=Errors+

Aaron

No, you omitted the WideServer Log, which would actually show the Server name and allow you to set "ServerName" instead of the awkward IP address.

In your WideClient.ini the ServerNode is irrelevant for TCP/IP, that is only used for IPX/SPX.

[Error=10061] Connection refused

This is NOT the error you said in your earlier message. I don't rightly know what "connection refused" means, Windows tells me that. I suspect you have Windows XP firewall enabled on the server. Check that sort of thing.

There is absolutely no difference between 5.40 and 5.50 excepting

(a) the internal flag to tell WideFS what to do if no "UseTCPIP" parameter is provided is changed to assume "Yes" instead of "No", and

(b) the Shutdown facility uses a different parameter on Windows 98 to Windows XP in order to correctly power off the PC. This is only relevant if you use "AllowShutdown=Yes" and would need everything working in any case.

There is most definitely no difference whatsoever in the Networking side.

I suspect you've changed options in XP, or possibly recently installed, updated, or re-installed it, and haven't got the settings right to allow external access. Please check these things.

Regards,

Pete

No, you omitted the WideServer Log, which would actually show the Server name and allow you to set "ServerName" instead of the awkward IP address.

In your WideClient.ini the ServerNode is irrelevant for TCP/IP, that is only used for IPX/SPX.

[Error=10061] Connection refused

This is NOT the error you said in your earlier message. I don't rightly know what "connection refused" means, Windows tells me that. I suspect you have Windows XP firewall enabled on the server. Check that sort of thing.

There is absolutely no difference between 5.40 and 5.50 excepting

(a) the internal flag to tell WideFS what to do if no "UseTCPIP" parameter is provided is changed to assume "Yes" instead of "No", and

(b) the Shutdown facility uses a different parameter on Windows 98 to Windows XP in order to correctly power off the PC. This is only relevant if you use "AllowShutdown=Yes" and would need everything working in any case.

There is most definitely no difference whatsoever in the Networking side.

I suspect you've changed options in XP, or possibly recently installed, updated, or re-installed it, and haven't got the settings right to allow external access. Please check these things.

Regards,

Pete

Guest Gérard
[

Pete

Saddened for all this disturbance, but it works now with files customer and server configured as I show it here in message above...

Problem resulted from the fact that I had not reset Fs2002 before changing version, for to test what said Pete...

Good fish For Pete :P :P

Gerard

Guest Gérard
[

Pete

Saddened for all this disturbance, but it works now with files customer and server configured as I show it here in message above...

Problem resulted from the fact that I had not reset Fs2002 before changing version, for to test what said Pete...

Good fish For Pete :P :P

Gerard

Here it is:

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ServerName=AMDComputer

[user]

Log=Errors+

[Config]

UseTCPIP=yes

Port=8002

[user]

Log=Errors+

Aaron

Here it is:

[Config]

UseTCPIP=Yes

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ServerName=AMDComputer

[user]

Log=Errors+

[Config]

UseTCPIP=yes

Port=8002

[user]

Log=Errors+

Aaron