The simFlight Network Forums

'Dog in the Manger' fsuipc?

I am attempting to use FS2002 on which I have FSUIPC 3.5.3.0, packaged with and duly registered by IVAO's IvAp software.

Now whenever I try to open FS2002, I get a message telling me that I have multiple copies of FSUIPC and that I should jettison the allegedly extra copies.

However, when I open the Modules folder of FS2002, I see only one fsuipc.dll (one is presumably necessary) accompanied by:

(a) fsuipc Configuration Settings (1KB)

(b) fsuipc text document (2KB)

There is no other reference in the Modules folder to fsuipc at all.

I am, it seems, to be prevented from opening fs2002 at all, until I either give up my IvAp software (which I have duly registered with fsuipc) or work out which of these three files to jettison.

I would be grateful for any help on this.

Thank you.

Tito Livio

To further clarify the problem above, the window which appears whenever I try to open fs2002 says:

"There are duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. Never simply rename modules. Move them out of the Modules folder"

The problem, as I see it, is that I have only one fsuipc.dll file in the Modules folder and I assume that one fsuipc.dll file is necessary. So why the message? If there are duplicate copies, where are they? I would be happy to remove them, if I knew where they were.

Anyway, as I said, if any kind reader has any solutions, I would be grateful to hear them.

Thank you

Vielen Dank

Merci bien

Muchas gracias

Grazie mille

Muito obrigado

Sas efcharisto para poly

Tessekur ederim

Tito Livio

Hi,

I seem to remember that an additional FSUIPC.dll in the main FS folder is (sometimes?) also read at startup and so could cause this error. Have you copied the file to the main FS folder as well by accident?

Regards,

Frank

Frank,

Thank you for your reply and help. I decided that, as you suggest, the problem might be lurking in fs2002 and so I uninstalled fs2002 and then re-installed it. Since then the PUI (programme use interdiction) has ceased.

Therefore perhaps the problem was connected more with fs (or even with my PC) than with fsuipc.

Whatever it was, I certainly hope that it doesn't re-appear.

Much obliged for your help.

Regards

Tito Livio

Although this advice is a little late for you Tito it may be of use later on.

There was no need for you to uninstall FS2002 if there was an extra copy of fsuipc.dll on your system.

Just do a search for fsuipc.dll and if the results come up with more than one entry delete all those which are not in fs2002\modules folder.

Vulcan,

Thank you for your reply. However, what I did - before posting my message - was:

(1) Check the fs2002/Modules folder manually (or perhaps more accurately "visually") for multiple copies of fsuipc.

(2) Did a "search" for fsuipc.dll

In both cases unfortunately only one fsuipc.dll was to be found anywhere on my PC.

I'm even a little surprised - though, of course, very relieved - that uninstalling and then re-installing fs2002 seemed to solve the problem, since such a procedure in my experience normally leaves add-ons in situ.

However, as the fellow said, "all's well that ends well."

Thank you for taking the trouble to offer help.

Much obliged

Tito Livio

In both cases unfortunately only one fsuipc.dll was to be found anywhere on my PC.

I'm even a little surprised - though, of course, very relieved - that uninstalling and then re-installing fs2002 seemed to solve the problem ...

There is another case where multiple copies of running versions of FSUIPC may be detected, and this is where a previous session of FS has been closed, and appears to have closed successfully, but is in fact still running. Such cases are caused by some errors in add-ons -- an early version of Active Camera did this, for axample. It seems that some DLL's create threads which fail to terminate, and the whole process remains in memory, INCLUDING FSUIPC. No sign of FS appears on the desktop, but it is still there -- a visit to the task manager (Ctrl_Alt_Del) and its Process list will show the FS exe.

If this happens again, check that process list, and delete the FS process before running FS again. Then look for the culprit add-on causing the hang on termination.

Regards,

Pete

Hey Guys,

I've been digging for an answer to this problem ever since purchasing my first copy of FSNav (4.7) just a week or so ago.

This dual FSUIPC.dll copy lock-up problem is exactly what's been beating me up me in both on and off line flying. Through several total re-installs of FS9 and testing my add-ons one at a time, this problem only starts up when I load and try to use FSNav 4.7.

This is not a random event. If I run FSNAV for any length of time, it's a 99.99% chance FS9 is going to go down. This is even on a fresh install of FS9 with the only two add-ons being FSUIPC and FSNav.

With the percentage of probabilty being very high that FSNav is at the root of the trouble on my particular system, is there a work around for this at this time?

BTW I'm running FSUIPC 3.53

Thanks!

This is not a random event. If I run FSNAV for any length of time, it's a 99.99% chance FS9 is going to go down. This is even on a fresh install of FS9 with the only two add-ons being FSUIPC and FSNav.

I'm a bit at a loss to understand what this may have to do with a problem of FSUIPC reporting multiple copies upon trying to load FS, unless you are saying that FS9 appears to "go down" whereas it is fact only disappears from the desk top yet remains in the Windows task list as a running process?

With the percentage of probabilty being very high that FSNav is at the root of the trouble on my particular system, is there a work around for this at this time?

I'm not sure why you ask here, but considering that FSNav is one of the top-selling add-ins for FS, so must be in use on many thousands of systems by now, surely the problem is known to the author? Have you reported it? Have you checked that support forum?

Regards

Pete

Pete, thanks for the quick reply.

It's got me scratching my head also. I think it' pretty clear in the community that FSNav is a very well respected and much used products. That's what has me puzzled. I'm pretty good at isolating cause and effect sort of things and the only thing item that keeps coming back to the top of the list is FSNav. As long as it's not installed I can fly on ond off line with no problems. As soon as it is installed the problem reappears.

When I say "go down" it refers to FS9 locking up tight and the message mentioned in the previous part of this thread by tlivio, pops up on my screen. This is the one about two versions of FSUIPC cannot be installed at the same time. I too have looked through my folders and there is no other copy installed. The odd thing is that I'm under the impression that FSUIPC is required for FSNav to work. In my experimental process I pulled FSUIPC out of the modules folder and it didn't seem to affect FSNav's functions??? I was starting that think that the module fsnav.dll was some how acting as the other mysterious FSUIPC. After reading your thought on a second background version still running, that makes much more sense.

The only thing that I think I see from looking through the posts in here trying to find an answer to my particular problem is that there seems to be maybe an issue with FSNav 4.7 giving folks some headaches that they weren't seeing with version 4.6.

I really appreciate your input and the main reason I ended up in here looking for an answer is that when I punched in the search words "FSNavigator and FSUIPC" after clicking "Supprt Forum" on the FSNav home page and the long list of topics popped up, I started reading from the top down. I just now saw the dedicated FSNav forum way down at the bottom. :)

When I say "go down" it refers to FS9 locking up tight and the message mentioned in the previous part of this thread by tlivio, pops up on my screen. This is the one about two versions of FSUIPC cannot be installed at the same time.

FSUIPC only has that message on initial loading -- it in't available to it and nor is the check re-run once the initialisation of FS in completed. It is done in the DLL loading routine (DLLmain) which is called by Windows when a DLL is first loaded.

Therefore, if it is happening apparently DURING an FS session, FS must have thought it crashed and it is trying to reload. There's an option check mark in the error message it displays which can be turned off to prevent automatic restarts, but it sounds like something is obscuring the whole operation on your screen, or there's some problem with the video drivers.

Try running in maximised Windowed mode instead of full screen mode (ALT+ENTER) until it occurs -- maybe you can see better what is going on.

The only other possibility I just thought of is that whatever is going wrong is cauing incorrect code to be executed and somehow the remnants of the DLLmain part is being jumped into by whatever is going berserk, but i think this is so unlikely as to be discountable.

The odd thing is that I'm under the impression that FSUIPC is required for FSNav to work.

No, never. Where did you get that impression?

... there seems to be maybe an issue with FSNav 4.7 giving folks some headaches that they weren't seeing with version 4.6.

Ah .... so maybe if you could get a copy of 4.6 you could at least eliminate 4.7 or nail it that way?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

>>but it sounds like something is obscuring the whole operation on your screen, or there's some problem with the video drivers.<<

Good thoughts and avenues I've already traveled a bit. When I fly off line I'm practically always in full screen mode and when I fly online I'm always in windowed mode. But your thoughts made me try something a little different during tonight's online flying which I'll get to in a second. The other idea about a video driver problem is the first place I also send folks when doing trouble shooting.

With the video drivers I've tried it two ways. I use an nVidia 6800 Ultra and had been using the 71.89 set of drivers for I believe about 6 months or so since they first came out. I had not considered switching from this set in the interim because they have proven to be rock solid on my system with great performance and zero problems. Just recently I switched to the 81.98 set for no other reason than I figured I was falling behind in the upkeep and wanted to give them a shot. During this dual FSUIPC message testing I was in a position with my system, to be able to try both sets on fairly clean post-format installs. After a total reformat I put back only my neccessary software and drivers plus FS9 with no add-ons except FSUIPC and FSNav. First using the time proven 71.89s and then after another total reformat I set it up using the 81.98s. same results both times. I can fly fine and dandy for as long as I want using either set. By the same token, using either set, within a few minutes after starting FSNav, FS9 locks up. The only way to get FS9 shut down is to use the Task Mgr. When I try to restart FS9 I get the dual FSUIPC message. This is a 100% of the time repeatable event using either driver set.

Your idea that something maybe happening underneath my FS9 during this event was a good one. In order to see what I could see I set up for tonight's online flying a little differently than usual. I use dual monitors and normally I have the windowed mode FS9 running on my primary monitor and items like FSNav, the FS9 comms window and the live voice comms window running on the second monitor. If a message window pops up it's always on the primary display.

Tonight I set it up where FS9 in windowed mode was running on the secondary display. On the primary I had only FSNav and the FS9 comms window open. These later two I shrunk them down to a very small size so that I could see 90% of my primary display area. If a pop up message happened it had no place to hide.

About 2 or 3 minutes after take off FS9 locked up. The exact condition was that the image in the sim was frozen, sound still going, sim stayed connected to the comms server and the FS9 server. I could even save my flight, and from recent experience I've learned that the save works and my aircraft will be flying right where I made the save,even though the sim was locked up. No pop up messages on either screen.

In order to get FS9 off my screens I had to use the Task Mgr. As soon as the dual FSUIPC message popped up when trying to restart FS9 I checked the Task Mgr listings. Sure enough that goofy temp file "~E5D141.tmp" was in the list twice. As long as it is listed twice FS9 will not restart. If I delete either one of the listings FS9 starts normally. For the rest of our 3 hour online flight I ran everything set up exactly how I just described it except without ever starting FSNav. The result as I already knew it would be was that the event never occured again. The above is another 100% of the time repeatable event.

>>No, never. Where did you get that impression?<<

My "Duhhh" on this one. I had just assumed that being a module type of thing, that FSNav needed FSUIPC. While doing some looking and learning before flying I ran into "Does not require FSUIPC" on the FSnav page. How I missed that I can only atribute to old age.

>>Ah .... so maybe if you could get a copy of 4.6 you could at least eliminate 4.7 or nail it that way?<<

Before I wrote you the first message that was already on my list of things to try.

I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point. This is too smart of a community to not figure out a thing like this if it really is an issue being experienced by others than me. If it turns out to be one of those system specific oddities I'll probably have another "duuhh" moment and let you know what I found.

Thanks again for all your input so far

About 2 or 3 minutes after take off FS9 locked up. The exact condition was that the image in the sim was frozen, sound still going, sim stayed connected to the comms server and the FS9 server. I could even save my flight, and from recent experience I've learned that the save works and my aircraft will be flying right where I made the save,even though the sim was locked up.

That sounds like not so much a "lock up" as either a pause, or a zero sim-rate setting. Either that or it is the graphics section which is locked up, but I thought that would effectively freeze all FS access as I don't think it is all separately threaded -- FS2004 is *not* written to take advantage of multiple processors, which would be the case if such major portions were threads.

In order to get FS9 off my screens I had to use the Task Mgr. As soon as the dual FSUIPC message popped up when trying to restart FS9 I checked the Task Mgr listings. Sure enough that goofy temp file "~E5D141.tmp" was in the list twice. As long as it is listed twice FS9 will not restart. If I delete either one of the listings FS9 starts normally.

That "goofy" file is to do with the anti-debugging and copy protection in FS2004. I shouldn't really advocate this, but I think you should try getting hold of the No-CD crack of FS9.EXE and see if that fixes your problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the anti-piracy checking is falling foul of something else in your system, like anti-virus checking or something.

I have to use the No CD crack for versions of FS because there's no decent way of developing and debugging my programs with that anti-everything stuff running.

Make sure you get the correct version -- there's one for FS9.0 and a different one for FS9.1.

Regards

Pete

Pete

>>with that anti-everything stuff running.<<

I can certainly understand where that would be a frustrating obstacle.

I'm wondering now if the anti-everything stuff I have installed is what might be at the root of this problem. I'm always online even when not flying online. If for some reason my anti-everything set up tried to verify an action of some sort trying to get in or out of my LAN while I was flying, I'm wondering if it could possibly be triggering FS9/FSUIPC into a "false restart" and the creation of that second .tmp debugger file. Possibly during the real weather updating process?????

The FS9/FSNav/FSUIPC setup across different systems is probably going to be fairly consistant but coupled with all the different security programs and hardware in different stages of online updates you have a mess. Maybe FS9 is just getting a bit confused.

You've given me an idea to look a little more closely at my security settings both hardware and software. I'm going to try some different experiments to see if there's any affect on my problem.

Thanks

FAC257

I'm wondering if it could possibly be triggering FS9/FSUIPC into a "false restart" and the creation of that second .tmp debugger file. Possibly during the real weather updating process?????

Well, FSUIPC doesn't care about the Internet, and FS9 will only "trigger" a restart if it detects a serious error -- and even then you should first get the error report with the "restart FS" option.

You've given me an idea to look a little more closely at my security settings both hardware and software. I'm going to try some different experiments to see if there's any affect on my problem.

Okay. But it might be worthwhile trying the No-CD crack for the FS9.EXE file in any case. I have grave suspicions over interactions between what it does to protect MS's copyrights and what Internet and Anti-Virus related routines do to protect your system. In general most game programs advise disabling virus checking whilst using them.

Regards,

Pete