The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.0 - Addons menu not appearing

After installing FSUIPC 4.0 (and later 4.1) yesterday, I still cannot see it in the menu - the 'Addons' option is simply non-existant. I have read the various threads regarding installation, and how it is affected by installation location, but they don't apply to me - I installed FSX (deluxe) with all the default installation options, and when installing FSUIPC get the 'Installation Successful' (or equivalent) message, this with both versions of the module.

One slightly interesting thing is that I got an 'alert' when starting FSX after the initial installation about the external program, so it was clearly detected, however I'm sure I told it to run the program, and to ALWAYS run programs signed by 'Peter L. Dowson'. Is there any way to check this?

I have also checked my simconnect module, which is the correct version and is in the expected place.

Any ideas what is going on? This is all the more annoying as I paid to upgrade to 'registered' status yesterday!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

same problem to me.

I assigned some aircraft specific axes and the menue entry was gone.

Solved this problem by deleting the FSUIPC4.ini.

BTW the aircraft specific assignment didn't work correct. I changed the aircraft but it saved with the aircraft I started the flight with.

I still cannot see it in the menu - the 'Addons' option is simply non-existant.

Is there a Modules folder in your FSX installation, with FSUIPC4.DLL included? If so, please right-click on it, select Properties, and check that it is Version 4.01 and has my Signature attached.

What Windows version are you using?

One slightly interesting thing is that I got an 'alert' when starting FSX after the initial installation about the external program, so it was clearly detected, however I'm sure I told it to run the program, and to ALWAYS run programs signed by 'Peter L. Dowson'. Is there any way to check this?

Hmmmnot sure. Maybe you accidentally told it NEVER to run programs by me instead? I'm not sure how to find out or how to reverse it if so --- those checks are imposed by Windows following calls to check the modules by FSX's SimConnect. However, I think it should be possible via Internet Explorer (for some reason IE is what Windows uses to manage these things).

Do this:

1. Load IE, select Tools - Internet Options - Content.

2. Click the "Publishers" button.

3. You should now see tabs for "Trusted" and "untrusted" publishers. See which one I'm in.

4. If I'm not in either then your choice wasn't logged, so you SHOULD get the warning next time you run FSX. If I'm in the Untrusted list, Remove me from there. If I'm in the Trusted list, then, wellwe need to look further.

If everything so far checks out I'll probably have to ask my SimConnect contact in the FSX team -- he's been on holiday, but I think he's back this week.

There are two other things you can check, but a little more difficult that those you've already done:

1. In the same folder as your FSX.CFG file (Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX) you should find a file "DLL.XML". If it isn't there, that's the problem. Maybe you installed FSX and FSUIPC4 under different user names? If it is there, Open it with Notepad and look to see if it mentions FSUIPC4 at all. If you aren't sure about all this, ZIP it and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

2. You can get SimConnect itself to do some logging which may show why it isn't loading FSUIPC4. To do this you'll need to create a small Text file (eg in Notepad) containing:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

file=\Modules\Simconnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=1

Fill in the folder stuff, then save this as "Simconnect.ini" in your "My Documents\Flight simulator X Files" folder.

Now, when you run FSX, SimConnect will log all sorts of things to a file "Simconnect0.Log" in the Modules folder. ZIP it and send it to me.

Then delete or rename that Simconnect.INI file. Otherwise, when we do manage to solve your problem, the files will become HUGE (and I mean HHHUUUGGGEEE) with all the FSUIPC4/Simconnect interaction.

This is all the more annoying as I paid to upgrade to 'registered' status yesterday!

Yes. Always best to install, check, then pay, really. We'll sort it out though. Sorry it's so complicated. This is all imposed by Microsoft, it isn't my design. And I am informed it gets worse with Vista. More red tape than the tax man!

Regards,

Pete

I assigned some aircraft specific axes and the menue entry was gone.

Solved this problem by deleting the FSUIPC4.ini.

BTW the aircraft specific assignment didn't work correct. I changed the aircraft but it saved with the aircraft I started the flight with.

Erthat all works fine here, and there's no relationship between anything in the INI file and the "Add-Ons" menu, which is created by FSX when FSUIPC4 starts.

I need more information please. Your INI file, and a LOG for the sequence with the specific assignment not working.

If you've deleted and lost the INI file for the problem and cannot reproduce it then I cannot even start looking at it. :-(

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the quick response!

I still cannot see it in the menu - the 'Addons' option is simply non-existant.

Is there a Modules folder in your FSX installation, with FSUIPC4.DLL included? If so, please right-click on it, select Properties, and check that it is Version 4.01 and has my Signature attached.

What Windows version are you using?

Yes to the Modules folder and FSUIPC.DLL, and it is signed by yourself. I am running XP home SP2, with all the latest updates.

Hmmmnot sure. Maybe you accidentally told it NEVER to run programs by me instead? I'm not sure how to find out or how to reverse it if so --- those checks are imposed by Windows following calls to check the modules by FSX's SimConnect. However, I think it should be possible via Internet Explorer (for some reason IE is what Windows uses to manage these things).

Do this:

1. Load IE, select Tools - Internet Options - Content.

2. Click the "Publishers" button.

3. You should now see tabs for "Trusted" and "untrusted" publishers. See which one I'm in.

4. If I'm not in either then your choice wasn't logged, so you SHOULD get the warning next time you run FSX. If I'm in the Untrusted list, Remove me from there. If I'm in the Trusted list, then, wellwe need to look further.

You are indeed on the trusted list. Though in order to test this, I deleted the entry - and didn't get the message next time I started FSX - doh! Presumably because I had checked 'always accept...' etc.

If everything so far checks out I'll probably have to ask my SimConnect contact in the FSX team -- he's been on holiday, but I think he's back this week.

There are two other things you can check, but a little more difficult that those you've already done:

1. In the same folder as your FSX.CFG file (Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX) you should find a file "DLL.XML". If it isn't there, that's the problem. Maybe you installed FSX and FSUIPC4 under different user names? If it is there, Open it with Notepad and look to see if it mentions FSUIPC4 at all. If you aren't sure about all this, ZIP it and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

It is present, and contains the following:

FSUIPC 4
False
Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

They were both installed on the same username, there is only one on this PC.

2. You can get SimConnect itself to do some logging which may show why it isn't loading FSUIPC4. To do this you'll need to create a small Text file (eg in Notepad) containing:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

file=\Modules\Simconnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=1

Fill in the folder stuff, then save this as "Simconnect.ini" in your "My Documents\Flight simulator X Files" folder.

Now, when you run FSX, SimConnect will log all sorts of things to a file "Simconnect0.Log" in the Modules folder. ZIP it and send it to me.

Then delete or rename that Simconnect.INI file. Otherwise, when we do manage to solve your problem, the files will become HUGE (and I mean HHHUUUGGGEEE) with all the FSUIPC4/Simconnect interaction.

You will have mail shortly...

This is all the more annoying as I paid to upgrade to 'registered' status yesterday!

Yes. Always best to install, check, then pay, really. We'll sort it out though. Sorry it's so complicated. This is all imposed by Microsoft, it isn't my design. And I am informed it gets worse with Vista. More red tape than the tax man!

Regards,

Pete

Ah well, the support is good anyway!

Hi Pete,

seems to be a more random problem.

Tested it again and all works good, even when changing to several aircraft.

For your information, there is also FSInn1.2 installed on FSX (FSCopilot.dll)

witch is pesent every time in the "Add ons" menue of FSX.

But the order entrys appear sometimes change.

I will try to log things happen, as you describe above.

Well, that's short and sweet! It definitely shows SimConnect loading the DLL, but it doesn't then actually call the entry point to start FSUIPC4 off. It is supposed to call a routine called "DLLstart" in FSUIPC4 -- everything kicks off from there.

Is there an FSUIPC4.LOG or INI file in the Modules folder at all? It doesn't look likely, but if there is can you show it to me please?

I recall one (and only one) instance like this in the FSX Beta test group, several weeks ago. The SimConnect author in Microsoft was looking into it. I'm not sure whether it was ever resolved, I've a feeling it wasn't. I'm going to try searching for it now.

Regards,

Pete

For your information, there is also FSInn1.2 installed on FSX (FSCopilot.dll)

witch is pesent every time in the "Add ons" menue of FSX.

But the order entrys appear sometimes change.

Change even within the same FSX session? I can't imagine how that can happen, as FSUIPC4 (at least, can't speak for FSInn) only ever adds its Mnu entry the once.

Maybe FSInn is adding and deleting its entry, and there's a bug in SimConnect which occasionally makes this affect FSUIPC4's entry too. I wouldn't be surprised -- I don't think there's been a lot of testing with multiple SimConnect DLLs running together. I have only ever had one in any case.

If the FSUIPC menu stays put with the other DLL removed (just move it out of wherever it is, temporarily, or rename it), then it certainly sounds like a bug -- you will need to report the details to tell_fs@microsoft.com. Tell me too and I'll tell the guy directly.

Another thing to try is adding the two extra FSUIPC menu entries -- Load Flight and Load Plan. The options for these are in FSUIPC's Miscellaneous page. See if those stay put, with and without FSInn.

I will try to log things happen, as you describe above.

That's for the Aircraft Specific axis assignments problem, which you say you can't reproduce? Could it possibly have been finger trouble at all?

Regards

Pete

Well, that's short and sweet! It definitely shows SimConnect loading the DLL, but it doesn't then actually call the entry point to start FSUIPC4 off. It is supposed to call a routine called "DLLstart" in FSUIPC4 -- everything kicks off from there.

Is there an FSUIPC4.LOG or INI file in the Modules folder at all? It doesn't look likely, but if there is can you show it to me please?

I recall one (and only one) instance like this in the FSX Beta test group, several weeks ago. The SimConnect author in Microsoft was looking into it. I'm not sure whether it was ever resolved, I've a feeling it wasn't. I'm going to try searching for it now.

Regards,

Pete

There is an INI file, containing:

[General]
History=9JO9IXS6W04UDAE5ZQK54
TCASid=Flight
TCASrange=40
AxisCalibration=No
DirectAxesToCalibs=No
ShowMultilineWindow=Yes
SuppressSingleline=No
SuppressMultilineFS=No
WeatherReadSeconds=1
[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes

and a log:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.01 by Pete Dowson *********
User Name=""
User Addr=""
FSUIPC not user registered
WIDEFS not user registered, or expired
Running inside FSX
Module base=61000000
LogOptions=00000001
DebugStatus=0
      109 System time = 12:51:21
      109 FLT UNC path = "C:\Documents and Settings\Martin Hodgson\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"
      109 FS UNC path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
  3875750 System time = 13:55:56
  3875750 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 2 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

and a log:

User Name=""
User Addr=""
Running inside FSX
Module base=61000000
LogOptions=00000001
DebugStatus=0
      109 FLT UNC path = "C:\Documents and Settings\Martin Hodgson\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"
      109 FS UNC path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

Ahit is NOT the same as that old case I mentioned.

It looks like FSUIPC4 is happily running but it totally unable to get any response from SimConnect.

SimConnect, oddly, uses TCP/IP to talk between itself and FSX. I am wondering if there's a Firewall problem, there, or something up with the TCP/IP installation on your PC. Do you think you could try switching firewalls and similar off (as an experiment), and also check your TCP/IP settings?

I may need Microsoft help here. Ity's all getting into areas of FSX beyong my competence.

Regards

Pete

Peter

All sorted - it turns out it was indeed a firewall issue! I had blocked FSX from both the trusted and internet zones when it initially asked me what to do (I'm on a bandwidth limited connection, and didn't want it downloading things and using up my allocation!). I have now allowed it in both zones, and the addons menu now appears.

Quite why it works like that is probably best left to MS!

Thanks again for your help.

Martin

All sorted - it turns out it was indeed a firewall issue! I had blocked FSX from both the trusted and internet zones when it initially asked me what to do (I'm on a bandwidth limited connection, and didn't want it downloading things and using up my allocation!). I have now allowed it in both zones, and the addons menu now appears.

Ahmaybe the "trusted" block was the only one needing allowing. SimConnect doesn't need the Internet, but it does talk to "trusted" programs like FSUIPC4.DLL via TCP/IP.

The thing you'll block on the Internet connection will be the weather.

Regards

Pete

I all I have tryed all that has been suggested firewalls off.

Win XP sp2

Deluxe FSX 10.0.60905.0

simconnect to match above.

Trusted in iternet options menu

modules folder installed correctly

I am at my witts end and been reading and trying for 36hrs now?

and yes I am tired.....lol

any more things I can try?

Steve.

and a log:

User Name=""
User Addr=""
Running inside FSX
Module base=61000000
LogOptions=00000001
DebugStatus=0

Ahit is NOT the same as that old case I mentioned.

It looks like FSUIPC4 is happily running but it totally unable to get any response from SimConnect.

SimConnect, oddly, uses TCP/IP to talk between itself and FSX. I am wondering if there's a Firewall problem, there, or something up with the TCP/IP installation on your PC. Do you think you could try switching firewalls and similar off (as an experiment), and also check your TCP/IP settings?

I may need Microsoft help here. Ity's all getting into areas of FSX beyong my competence.

Regards

Pete

hi peter,

similar problems here...FSX Prof German Version, XP Prof SP2 German Version

no ADDONS Menue showing up.

Firewall, yes, running.

What Modules or Programs have to be set into the NOT blocking list?

I think it can be cured then, I did so far no attempts with TC/IP connections with FSX to connect.

And in addition I´m usiong a proxy via sattelite and cable connection.

Any additional hints?

Yes, I checked all, I got the preper setup, all the necessary files and a fsuipc log and ini file

Thanks

Stefan

ok, dectivated norton firewall completely and got no success,

files as following:

dll .xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

fsuipc.log:

User Name=""

User Addr=""

Running inside FSX

Module base=61000000

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

109 System time = 18:29:27

109 FLT UNC path = "C:\\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"

109 FS UNC path = "E:\FSX\"

12750 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.60905.0 (SimConnect: 2.0.60905.0)

212703 System time = 18:32:59

212703 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

fsuipc4.ini

[General]

History=QCEX5PKWKS2B2Z3UOF9U9

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

AxisCalibration=No

DirectAxesToCalibs=No

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes

SuppressSingleline=No

SuppressMultilineFS=No

WeatherReadSeconds=1

[WideServer]

WideFSenabled=Yes

now indeed I need some hints please!

Thanks

I did today discover one "gottcha" with the SDK, or more correctly the dll.xml file that's used to configure and launch the plugin tools...

At least on my machine, FSX isn't interpreting the "relative path" to the SDK as expected. I have had to explicitly declare the complete path to my SDK installation.

I've double-checked the registry entries for the SDK's path, and they are correct... so I have no clue why the "relative path" entries won't work. They worked fine in Beta2 and Beta3... :roll:

Here is an example!

Object Placement Tool

False

False

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Flight Simulator X\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

THIS should have worked just as well:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Sorry I forgot to metion, I have no Addon menu either :oops:

Is there an FSUIPC4.LOG? Does it look a bit like the one shown earlier here?

If so, can you disable your firewall?

For most of this stuff I am most likely going to have to pass the problems over to Microsoft. It is all to do with their SimConnect interface and its use of TCP/IP.

Pete

Firewall, yes, running.

What Modules or Programs have to be set into the NOT blocking list?

I don't really know. Certainly FSX needs to talk to SimConnect and vice versa. Bt what puzzles me is that these are, of ocurse, actually part of the same process. simconnect uses TCP/IP to talk to FSX, even though it is in the same process (for a DLL in any case).

I think Microsoft did it this way because it then works with external EXE programs, and across Networks, without any extra interfaces. However, it is confusing when one part of FSX cannot talk to another.

I really know nothing at all about firewalls. I use a router for the Internet and leave it all to that. Every time i've tried using any type of firewall I get into all sorts of difficulties on my Network, and it really isn't worth the hassle to me.

Please see the message above from Splodge, who had the exact same symptoms and fixed it.

Regards

Pete

At least on my machine, FSX isn't interpreting the "relative path" to the SDK as expected. I have had to explicitly declare the complete path to my SDK installation.

Hmm. Odd. I've no trouble with the relative path to my FSUIPC4 installed in \Modules.

I've double-checked the registry entries for the SDK's path

I don't think the path used for this is the SDK install path, it will be FSX's install path.

... and they are correct... so I have no clue why the "relative path" entries won't work. They worked fine in Beta2 and Beta3... :roll:

But in Beta2 and Beta3 the SDK was automatically installed into the FSX folder, so the relative path will be correct. In the RTM version, you can install the SDK anywhere. If you didn't install it into the usual place, the FSX folder, then obviously the relative path won't work.

Here is an example!

Object Placement Tool

False

False

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Flight Simulator X\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

THIS should have worked just as well:

Ahthere's your answer. Surely you haven't installed all 8 Gb of FSX into C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Flight Simulator X?

Relative paths for FSX are relative to where the FSX.EXE is placed, which is the folder listed in the registry as "InstalledTo" for Flight Simulator\10.0.

Regards

Pete

ok, dectivated norton firewall completely and got no success

What about WinXPs?

dll .xml:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Object Placement Tool

True

False

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

Are the mission_placement and TrafficToolBox facilities working?

Mind you, I don't think they actually USE SimConnect, they are simply loaded by it, so it probably isn't a good check.

fsuipc.log:

Yes, the log shows FSUIPC4 is running, but there simply is no communication between SimConnect and FSX.

There's not even anything I can do in the program to check and report these conditions. All that happens is that it never does what i ask and I see no responses -- even errors are returned using TCP/IP, so if they're blocked, nothing at all happens. Ugh.

Me too. I've written to the MS chap in charge of SimConnect to see what the best thing to do is -- if I can program a way around it I will, but it seems unlikely. Meanwhile, I think it simply MUST be some sort of firewall protection which you've not actually managed to disable yet. Please look further, see what you can find.

Regards

Pete

ok, dectivated norton firewall completely and got no success

What about WinXPs?

***********it´s deactivated by norton***********

dll .xml:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Object Placement Tool

True

False

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

*******sorry, what components you are talking from, what to do to check them? I get moving traffic...************

Mind you, I don't think they actually USE SimConnect, they are simply loaded by it, so it probably isn't a good check.

fsuipc.log:

Yes, the log shows FSUIPC4 is running, but there simply is no communication between SimConnect and FSX.

There's not even anything I can do in the program to check and report these conditions. All that happens is that it never does what i ask and I see no responses -- even errors are returned using TCP/IP, so if they're blocked, nothing at all happens. Ugh.

********opened the ports 6112 - 6122, created a account for gaming, will see what happens after relauch now*************

Me too. I've written to the MS chap in charge of SimConnect to see what the best thing to do is -- if I can program a way around it I will, but it seems unlikely. Meanwhile, I think it simply MUST be some sort of firewall protection which you've not actually managed to disable yet. Please look further, see what you can find.

Regards

Pete

What about WinXPs?

Well, it seems very strange that you have exactly the same symptoms as someone with a firewall blocking access, who fixed it by removing that block, yet yours is caused by something else.

Anyway, it is certainly now a matter for Microsoft, being a problem between one part of FSX and another. There is no way I can actually debug it. I have written to the appropriate authority in the FSX team requesting assistance on this, and I hope he is returning from holiday this week. I'll get back to you as soon as I know more.

Meanwhile please help by reporting your problems by email to tell_fs@microsoft.com. Provide all the details you have provided me. It all helps to get things fixed.

On the other question i asked, which is probably not relevant really:

*******sorry, what components you are talking from, what to do to check them? I get moving traffic...************

Your DLL.XML contains loading instructions for the Object Placement and TrafficToolBox parts of the FSX SDK. You must have installed these. They add menu items in FSX. Are you programming for FSX, that's why you installed the SDK?

It is getting very confusing here. there are about three intertwined threads!

Regards,

Pete

What about WinXPs?

Well, it seems very strange that you have exactly the same symptoms as someone with a firewall blocking access, who fixed it by removing that block, yet yours is caused by something else.

Anyway, it is certainly now a matter for Microsoft, being a problem between one part of FSX and another. There is no way I can actually debug it. I have written to the appropriate authority in the FSX team requesting assistance on this, and I hope he is returning from holiday this week. I'll get back to you as soon as I know more.

Meanwhile please help by reporting your problems by email to tell_fs@microsoft.com. Provide all the details you have provided me. It all helps to get things fixed.

On the other question i asked, which is probably not relevant really:

Your DLL.XML contains loading instructions for the Object Placement and TrafficToolBox parts of the FSX SDK. You must have installed these. They add menu items in FSX. Are you programming for FSX, that's why you installed the SDK?

*********ah, no, no programing here, I can uninstall the SDK, perhaps this is a try; the only reason installing SDK was to get ImageTool.exe to have a run with nconvert.exe and autogengroundconvert.bat, a small batch for file conversion and rducing size. see here:

http://www.fox-fam.com/wordpress/?page_id=41.

SDK is indeed not necessary for me**************

It is getting very confusing here. there are about three intertwined threads!

Regards,

Pete