The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.0 - Addons menu not appearing

I disabled Autosave and put FSUIC4 Launch at the first Place in DLL.xml.

Eryou mean the FSUIPC4 option for AutoSave? Not sure what that's got to do with anything? It's dormant most of the time.

Was the first one in the DLL.XML file the FSCopilot.dll? If so I'd like to find out what it is actually doing that can remove the FSUIPC menu entry. SimConnect is supposed to treat each client separately and equally, and it is SimConnect which manages the Menus. I hope FSCopilot.dll is obeying the rules and not trying to fiddle the menus directly as we had to in FS2004 and before.

Is FSCopilot freely available? If so where? Maybe I could try it here.

If not, could you do me a favour? Somewhere further back in this long intertwining thread I explain to someone how to get a SimConnect LOG. Could you do that, put the DLL.XML back as it was, then try and reproduce the phenomenon of the FSUIPC entry disappearing?

ZIP up the SimConnect log you get and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Thanks!

Pete

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahthere's your answer. Surely you haven't installed all 8 Gb of FSX into C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Flight Simulator X?

Relative paths for FSX are relative to where the FSX.EXE is placed, which is the folder listed in the registry as "InstalledTo" for Flight Simulator\10.0.

Regards

Pete

Sorry, no cigar! :D

Pete, that is precisely where FSX itself is located. I quite deliberately installed it there (as I have all previous releases) for the simple reason WinXP Home edition won't allow me to "share" C:\Program Files across the LAN...

So, the Registry entry for FSX itself is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\Flight Simulator X

Even so, the "relative path" won't work in dll.xml with the RTM on my system, whereas it did work perfectly with Beta2 and Beta3...

Just for the record pete, I do belive Trackir use`s simconnect and that is not working on my pc either, dispite there being a patch out that corrects this from their Alpha drivers, this would suggest simconnet is working on some pc`s but not others?

Hope this info helps

.steve.

Sorry, no cigar! :D

Shucks! But then I did give up smoking about 20 years ago, in any case. ;-)

I have a sense of Deja Vu here, but for all my other readers, here goes ...

Pete, that is precisely where FSX itself is located. I quite deliberately installed it there (as I have all previous releases) for the simple reason WinXP Home edition won't allow me to "share" C:\Program Files across the LAN...

Ah, sorry. It just looked SO unlikely. The "My Documents" bin gets so full of junk all the time anyway. Ugh.

I always install in its own top-level folder: C:\FSX, or more usually D:\FSX etc -- more efficient if possible to get Windows and FS on separate hard drives, but even separate partitions on the one drive makes regular defragging much more expeditious! And then you can always share it on the Network, no probs.

Even so, the "relative path" won't work in dll.xml with the RTM on my system, whereas it did work perfectly with Beta2 and Beta3...

Must be something to do with its location (and a change in the SimConnect loader checker) then, as it all works fine in the sort of install folders I use.

Certainly worth reporting, and if it is a restriction it should really be detected by the FSX installer so that you get a "can't install there" message before it does so.

Regards

Pete

Just can't find where the simconnect module is.

Can you help me?

Somewhere way back in this thread I gave a very long folder name, so that's one way to start looking, but if I were you I'd simply use Explorer's Search facility. Search the Windows folder for "simconnect.dll".

Pete

Just for the record pete, I do belive Trackir use`s simconnect and that is not working on my pc either, dispite there being a patch out that corrects this from their Alpha drivers, this would suggest simconnet is working on some pc`s but not others?

Well, all the symptoms reported so far point to some sort of TCP/IP blocking going on, so it will depend on what settings folks have, what third party protection programs they've added, and so on.

I've put in a request for clarification to the Microsoft FSX Team. It has to be sorted because, as time goes on, there will be more and more Simconnect client programs and DLLs and there's going to be a lot of unhappy people if there's not a way to plough through the blockages.

I'll post here, and probably in an announcement, as soon as I have a decent solution back from MS. Meanwhile, all I can suggest is checking through all the possible things that may block access.

Regards

Pete

I disabled Autosave and put FSUIC4 Launch at the first Place in DLL.xml.

Seems to work now on my System.

In order to try to find out what this "FSCopilot.dll" is doing to lose the FSUIPC menu entry, I downloaded and installed both FSCopilot and FSInn.

Now I have both FSUIPC and FSCopilot in the Add-Ons menu.

Interestingly, although FSCopilot put itself at the top of the list in the DLL.XML file, the FSUIPC menu entry is still first in Add-Ons.

Whatever I do I cannot either get the order to change, nor make either disappear. I'd be grateful for some more help here, please. How do you do it?

Regards,

Pete

I'll post here, and probably in an announcement, as soon as I have a decent solution back from MS. Meanwhile, all I can suggest is checking through all the possible things that may block access.

I've enabled the Windows XP firewall here, and nothing got blocked in FSX at all. So it isn't simply a matter of "on" or "off". There's evidently more to it somewhere ...

Pete

I've enabled the Windows XP firewall here, and nothing got blocked in FSX at all. So it isn't simply a matter of "on" or "off". There's evidently more to it somewhere ...

Pete

well, feeling a little bit inconvenient and frustrated I tested today my second PC, basicly the same OPS, win XP Home (not prof), the same firewall, the same settings. Firewall is set off, nor additional ports opened and ADDONS menue is visual!!!

The only thibg I change in setup is to get the default MS setuppath (not D:\FSX)....

now? this must be something deep inside of the programming....

The only idea is a fresh install in my backup ops in the same system with problems, so I will see what happens if I do like in the second system.

One point was indeed different: By the first activation I clicked now the options menue and activated trust ptets software all the time...(not ask at every load); maybee this will have some unknown influence...

Best

well, feeling a little bit inconvenient and frustrated I tested today my second PC, basicly the same OPS, win XP Home (not prof), the same firewall, the same settings. Firewall is set off, nor additional ports opened and ADDONS menue is visual!!!

The only thibg I change in setup is to get the default MS setuppath (not D:\FSX)....

I don't think the install path makes any difference, provided you got the installer to do it, not moved it after installation. I never use the default path, it's too long! My FS's are all in places like D:\FSX, G:\FS9 etc. AND shared on the Network.

One point was indeed different: By the first activation I clicked now the options menue and activated trust ptets software all the time...(not ask at every load); maybee this will have some unknown influence...

Don't think so. Whilst developing I don't bother to sign my code, and of course each recompile makes a different version in FSX's eyes, so I always have you explicitly tell it to Run this module from this "unknown publisher".

I'm still hoping to get some answers or at least some help from Microaoft.

Regards

Pete

I don't think the install path makes any difference, provided you got the installer to do it, not moved it after installation. I never use the default path, it's too long! My FS's are all in places like D:\FSX, G:\FS9 etc. AND shared on the Network.

Don't think so. Whilst developing I don't bother to sign my code, and of course each recompile makes a different version in FSX's eyes, so I always have you explicitly tell it to Run this module from this "unknown publisher".

I'm still hoping to get some answers or at least some help from Microaoft.

Regards

Pete

you are completely right! path does not matter, sign in does not cure the problem...will do a test install om my backup ops, only to be sure it is not working there....

you are completely right! path does not matter, sign in does not cure the problem...will do a test install om my backup ops, only to be sure it is not working there....

Maybe different levels of WinXP SP2 security updates represent the differences? I notice that these have been trickling through on my auto-updating systems regularly.

I'm not sure how to compare update levels between two systems. Maybe only by looking at the list in the Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" table? If you check the box "Show Updates" it seems to include a whole load of Security and other updates.

Alternatively, maybe you could try invoking the Windows Update mechanism manually and make sure your WinXP SP2 is fully up to date -- my main PCs are all on "automatic update" settings, with installation being done at switch-off, so I know they are pretty much bang up to date.

Regards

Pete

i did a install on my system backup from 02.10.06, this was updated before to the end level and the addons entry does not appear....

so in the projection for future I will create a own OPS partition on an additional hardrive with win vist and only FSX and one with OPS like XP or vista only for my working issues....

I got to many problems in the past with "strange" things..this wa indeed the reason to make complete backups of the OPS partition.

hopefully MS can give us a fix soon to get conneted modules...

no more ideas here, well, jes, get a new HDD, a clean XP install and FSX, surely this will work without aoo the security patches and so on....

Thanks

Is anyone here who is not getting the "Add-Ons" menu with FSUIPC4 correctly installed using McAfee antivirus?

I've just seen information elsewhere that McAfee 10 (at least) somehow stops SimConnect from working -- whether its checking is enabled or not. Something to do with the actual McAfee installed files I assume.

Please let me know!

Pete

Hello,

First excuse me for my bad english.

I have a same problem with FSX, FSUIPC and other addon.

After a lot of test, with an other developer, we find a solution. We are desactived McAfee version 10, and the addon menu work correctly.

Mcafee block the SimConnect.dll. SimConnect_Open returns E_FAIL whatever you do.

Now I change McAfee by AVAST Familly. This is a free antivirus.

Bye bye

Galaag

After a lot of test, with an other developer, we find a solution. We are desactived McAfee version 10, and the addon menu work correctly.

Mcafee block the SimConnect.dll. SimConnect_Open returns E_FAIL whatever you do.

Okay. Thank you very much for the confirmation!

I will be discussing this with Microsoft in any case. Something needs to be done even if it is only big warnings somewhere. I am a bit worried for all those FSX users who buy boxes of Add-Ons and find they simply don't work. How to get this information to them is a big problem, and a better solution would, in the longer term, for MS to program around it -- in a Simconnect update I would hope.

Regards,

Pete

Well after some long testing I have found out the problem.

McAfee Privacy service is the problem.

I have Mc Afee Secuity centre 8

I un-installed the lot and reinstalled one at a time

Firewall

Virus

and left Privacy service unistalled

and hay prestow , Your Program apears in the menu and Trackir 4 work a treat.

I am just looking into how Inportant the program I did not insatll is.

Steve.

Futher to my testing I have downloaded every Mc Afee Virus Update and Firewall Update and all is still working as in should in FSX.

So the conclution is.

It`s not anything to do with the Virus software , or the firewall.

The privacy Service stop`s simconnect from doing it`s thing!

How I dont no but that is what is happening on my pc.

I hope this helps you guys still having trouble out there.

Steve.

Okay. Thank you very much for the confirmation!

I will be discussing this with Microsoft in any case. Something needs to be done even if it is only big warnings somewhere. I am a bit worried for all those FSX users who buy boxes of Add-Ons and find they simply don't work. How to get this information to them is a big problem, and a better solution would, in the longer term, for MS to program around it -- in a Simconnect update I would hope.

Regards,

Pete

Peter,

I agree!!

Some more testing results here:

I restored a system backup from august, because the big problem, in the runningsystem is/was and still is again thet winupdate (auto or manually with explorer) does not work any longer. It finds once the patches, but can not download them. After a update try these update modules are hoocked up, the are stopping and never again working, system resture has no influence. MS support got no solution...so I backed up the system 4 weeks ago, update worked and now on the same trouble, and FSX gets no ADDONS menue....

Well, long introduction: restore of august, 44 update patche by win update, FSX setup, NO Norton Internetscurity update (so far), FSX start, fsuipc setup, FSX start and, you woun´t think it, ADDFONS menue ist there....

firewall is on, antivirus is on an win update is working too....

now the question will be is there some coinfluence, no working winupdate, with blocking TC/IP com in FSX modules??? Looks strange, but web, mail updates by all other programs are working, still working, even if the winupdate hangs up...

I´m afraid I will find again a point, where winupdate quits the service...so doing montly system backups. I have only to restore then some mails and IE folders, thats easy, and new software that could have been installed.....

Next step will be updatein Norton and see if FSX is still workin and winupdate.

I think there must be some coinfluence deep inside of the system core....

Maybe the people who don´t get ADDONS showing up can check for function of winupdate??

Now I will rebuild some software setups and modifications step by step, hopefully get ALL working, FSX. ADDONS, UPDATES for the next system backup copy.

Best

now the question will be is there some coinfluence, no working winupdate, with blocking TC/IP com in FSX modules??? Looks strange, but web, mail updates by all other programs are working, still working, even if the winupdate hangs up...

Seems unlikely that's the actual cause, maybe it is related to something in the updates though. I've actually never heard of a problem where you couldn't get Windows updates. Hmmm.

I think there must be some coinfluence deep inside of the system core....

Maybe the people who don´t get ADDONS showing up can check for function of winupdate??

So far it seems uninstalling some or all of virus or security software fixes things, but as I say, there are a huge number of WinXP security updates too over the last few months. Maybe there's something wrong with those if, for example, they get installed in the wrong order or similar.

Thanks for the info,

Pete

have a look here:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/showflat.art=2&vc=1

In addition my track IR3 tracker is not working (only sometimes)

Mike_B wrote:

"I am starting to think that it has some thing to do with Simconnect. I downloaded FSUPIC from Peter Dawson and found that it did not appear in the menu as it was suppose to. In fact I have been having a wealth of wierd problems with FSX. Read somewhere that if I had tried the Beta (which I had) wierd things may happen. Don't know if having FSX on my E drive is the causing the problem, Beta was on D drive before I removed it.

Anyone know how to determine if the Simconnect is doing what it should be doing?

Mike"

I testet the FSX beta on my system too, but it did not work with my graphics an uninstalled it after 2 days....the restore of my OPS is FSX beta clean...some ideas to look for

Cheers