• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blue166

blue166

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

FSX.CFG file? how do you find this and how do you edit it?

#2 BFAC

BFAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo Mi, KAZO

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Click on start, search, type in fsx.cfg.

Quicker way. documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator x\
Yes its going to hurt

#3 blue166

blue166

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

Am i stupid, i can not actually find the file fsx.cfg.

#4 BFAC

BFAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo Mi, KAZO

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

Only cats are stupid.

From the start button click on search, from the popup click on for files or folders, on the left of screen click on files and folders, enter fsx.cfg, and in the look in text box, select the drive that FSX is installed.

Other way, open up windows explorer, expand my computer, expand the C drive (system (C: ) ) expand Documents and settings, expand application data, expand Microsoft, expand Microsoft Games, expand Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ find fsx.cfg
Yes its going to hurt

#5 Bob Fiedler

Bob Fiedler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Same here! I've got an inkling though. I changed settings in the program and I asked it to save them, It asked me for a file name, so I called it "settings.cfg". Now I have that file in my "My Documents" folder under "Flight Simulator X Files". My saved flights are in the same folder.
I'm not sure, but I think this "settings.cfg" may have replaced the usual "FSX.cfg" file. I have made the changes to the terrain entries as suggested in other posts and, so far, It seems to have worked.

Bob F.
I may be mediocre, but at least I'm not average! C. Brown

#6 blue166

blue166

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Yeah i've done this, there is no file on my pc called fsx.cfg

i have fsx installed what is up?

#7 petermcleland

petermcleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, Devon

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yeah i've done this, there is no file on my pc called fsx.cfg

i have fsx installed what is up?

Make sure you have it set to "Show All Files" :)

#8 GEEZO

GEEZO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Your hidden folders must be visible. Go to control panel. Click on 'files and folders'. Click on 'view'. Then look down near the bottom and click the button that makes the hidden files visible. Click 'OK 'and then leave control panel. When you find the config file, be aware that there is a folder there labeled 'controls'. There is a XML file in there that relates to all the controls including your joy stick. To view it you just double click on it. To edit the XML you need to right click on it and open the file with word pad. Whichever one you edit, when you are finished just click on 'File', 'Save' and you are done. If you are going to edit , you should back up the file first so you have the original in case you mess up the edit. I hope this helps.

Paul
There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots

HP Pavillion p7-1154Pc. AMD Quadcore
AMD Radeon HP 6530D on board video
1 TB HD. 6 gig mem. CH yoke and Pedals.

#9 petermcleland

petermcleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, Devon

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

Same here! I've got an inkling though. I changed settings in the program and I asked it to save them, It asked me for a file name, so I called it "settings.cfg". Now I have that file in my "My Documents" folder under "Flight Simulator X Files". My saved flights are in the same folder.
I'm not sure, but I think this "settings.cfg" may have replaced the usual "FSX.cfg" file. I have made the changes to the terrain entries as suggested in other posts and, so far, It seems to have worked.

No Bob...your FSX.cfg is here:-

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob Fiedler\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

#10 GaryGB

GaryGB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi All:

This step-by-step guide to the fsx.CFG editing/tweaking process might help clarify things for newcomers. :idea:

Windows XP allows creation of alternate "User Profiles" or "Accounts" which may determine where a given users other (non-FSX) installed programs may write their 'Application Data' under the C:\Documents and Settings folder chain.

When working with (non-FSX) application data, one must sometimes look for one's installed add-on programs in other available "ProfileName" folders under the C:\Documents and Settings subfolder chain to find them; this is especially true when security programs such as Norton Internet Security are installed, so keep on hunting (under the C:\Documents and Settings subfolder chain) until you find what you are looking for!

However, regarding FSX tweaking: I believe I read somewhere that FSX only writes into the "Administrator" profile folder chain located under C:\Documents and Settings, so one need not be concerned about looking/implementing tweaks for FSX itself in any other location.

How to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' (including the "fsx.CFG" file)
1.) On the Desktop, click (or double click) 'My Computer'
2.) In the resulting My Computer "Windows Explorer" window, click 'Tools' on the menu bar
3.) In the resulting 'Tools' pull-down menu, click 'Folder Options...'
4.) In the resulting 'Folder Options' multi-tabbed dialog box, click the 'View' tab
5.) On the resulting 'View' dialog box tab, locate the bottom 'Advanced settings' list
6.) In the Advanced settings list, locate the 'Hidden files and folders' section
7.) In the 'Hidden files and folders' section, click the radio button next to 'Show hidden files and folders'
8.) Click 'Apply' then click 'OK'

How to Edit the "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG file"
1.) On the Desktop, click (or double click) 'My Computer'
2.) In the resulting 'My Computer' "Windows Explorer" window, click 'View' on the menu bar
3.) In the resulting 'View' pull-down menu, click 'Details'
4.) In the Left pane "tree" view, double click the 'C:' drive to expand the folder tree
5.) In the Left side window pane "tree" view, in the 'C:' drive folder tree, double click the 'Documents and Settings' folder to expand its subfolder tree
6.) In the Documents and Settings subfolder tree, double click the 'Administrator' folder to expand its subfolder tree
7.) In the Administrator subfolder tree, double click the 'Application Data' folder to expand its subfolder tree
8.) In the Application Data subfolder tree, double click the 'Microsoft' folder to expand its subfolder tree
9.) In the Microsoft subfolder tree, double click the 'FSX' folder to expand its subfolder tree; "fsx.CFG" is now accessible!
10.) In the Right side window pane, select/highlight 'fsx.CFG'
11.) Press and hold down 'Ctrl', then tap 'C' on your keyboard ("Copy" to Windows clipboard), then release the 'Ctrl' key.
12.) In the Left side window pane, double click the 'FSX' folder again
13.) Press and hold down 'Ctrl', then tap 'V' on your keyboard ("insert" from Windows clipboard), then release the 'Ctrl' key.
14.) A backup "Copy of fsx.CFG" is now pasted into the Right side window pane (never edit this one)!
15.) In the Right side window pane, double click fsx.CFG; it should open in an editor. (*)
16.) Making sure to place all new tweaks 'under and within' their specifed [Section Heading] inside fsx.cfg, save your changes when you exit the editor.

(*) NOTE: At this point a "Windows" dialog box may pop up stating "Windows cannot open this file: File: fsx.CFG".

(This will only occur if you have not already made changes elsewhere in Windows assigning an editor to the CFG file extension in the 'My Computer' menu bar: Tools > Folder Options > File Types > 'Registered file types' / 'Details for "CFG" extension' Change > 'Open With' configuration dialog box). :wink:

If the above "Windows" dialog box pops up instead of an editor, click "Select the program from a list", and then click "OK", then in the next 'Open With' dialog box which pops up, simply double click the "Notepad" item in the presented list of applications.

You should now have fsx.CFG pop up onscreen ready to edit inside Notepad, and will always do so when you double click fsx.CFG from Windows Explorer in the future until you choose to change that ".cfg" file extension (File Type) association to some other program.

Hope this helps! :D

GaryGB

#11 tgibson

tgibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.calclassic.com

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

Don't know where it is in the Control Panel - follow Paul's advice but open up Windows Explorer/My Computer and follow his instructions from there. You must have the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" button checked or you will never find it!

Hope this helps,
Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

#12 GaryGB

GaryGB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

Don't know where it is in the Control Panel - follow Paul's advice but open up Windows Explorer/My Computer and follow his instructions from there. You must have the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" button checked or you will never find it!

Hope this helps,

Hi Tom:

The "Folder Options" applet is located in the Control Panel; opening it there it appears to bring up the same multi-tabbed dialog box which is accessed from My Computer / Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options. :D

GaryGB

#13 NK475

NK475

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

I have windows VISTA and whenever i edit the CFG file in the notepad I can't save my changes.

Anyone can help????
Thanks!!!

#14 toxaris71

toxaris71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I have windows VISTA and whenever i edit the CFG file in the notepad I can't save my changes.

Anyone can help????
Thanks!!!

First, backup the FSX.cfg file, then cut the fsx.cfg file and paste it on your desktop. then do what ever changes u want with it, save it and then cut and paste it back to its original folder. You need to do this on Vista and Windows 7.

Now can someone help me? :/
I can't find my fsx.cfg file, searched everywhere on the fsx folder and also did the search program and files search. I also found out that I have the "view hidden folder" option on in the control panel.
I have windows 7 and FSX service pack 2
can anyone help me?
much appreciated :)

#15 JSkorna

JSkorna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:53 AM

Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
Thanks,
Jim

#16 toxaris71

toxaris71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

oh, ok Thanks :)

now I can finally rest in peace ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket