The simFlight Network Forums

Simconnect Error

I have reviewed all of the latest stickys and some of the posts regarding this subject. I still cannot get the FSUIPC 4.0 file to install. I keep getting that error meassage telling me to execute the simconnect.msi file. I just did a reformat of drive C the other day and am starting out fresh. I have FSX installed. I do not have any other firewalls installed and I have disabled the windows firewall.

I cannot see the add on file at the top of FS, I did install FSinn and Copilot too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark T

I still cannot get the FSUIPC 4.0 file to install. I keep getting that error meassage telling me to execute the simconnect.msi file.

First, please give the full version nmuber. Do you mean 4.00, 4.01 or 4.02? If not 4.02 can you download that and try again?

If you do really mean 4.02, then this can only occur if your FSX instllation is incorrect. Did you by any chance have a Beta FSX installed before? Otherwise I cannot think how you could not have the correct version of SimConnect installed.

Can you search for the SimConnect.dll file in your Windows folder and tell me the folder it is in? Also right-click on it and check the Version number (Properties-Version). Somewhere in one of the longer threads here, about lack of Add-On menus, you will find more information about where the SimConnect module gets installed.

I cannot see the add on file at the top of FS, I did install FSinn and Copilot too.

By "add on file at the top of FS" do you mean the Add-Ons menu entry in the normal flight-time menu bar? Otherwise I don't understand.

FSCopilot provides an Add-Ons menu entry as well. Do the folks there have any better clues than I? The Add-Ons menu is created and maintained by SimConnect. If SimConnect isn't loading then you will not get an Add-Ons menu entry.

It really does have to be your FSX installation gone wrong. Simconnect either isn't installed, or it is but in the wrong place or, less believably, the wrong version (only possible at present from a Beta FSX).

Please also report all this to tell_fs@microsoft.com. They really do need to start helping with these problems, so the more reports (in as much detail as you can please) the better.

Any thoughts?

Only that I think FSX may have been released too early. I'm afraid most add-ons -- all those that already do and soon will be using SimConnect -- just won't work until this is sorted. In my Installer I check these things BEFORE installing a program which simply won't work. It looks like FSCopilot and FSInn just install and hope for the best? I can't blame them. It was quite complex sorting out how to probe manifests for side-by-side installed DLLs like Simconnect.

Regards,

Pete

Peter, It is version 4.02. I did have the Beta version installed a few weeks ago. I installed FSX last week and all the addons were working fine. I was experiencing horrible frame rates so I did a reformat of my hard drive and started over again. The Flight Sim X runs ok now and frame rates are great.

I did find the SimConnect.dll file in my:

Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X file

Yes, by add on I mean at the top of the Flight simX menu header next to help..

Mark T

I did find the SimConnect.dll file in my:

Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X file

That's wrong. It's the right version. But it not only won't work from there, it needs proper Windows installation as a side-by-side library.

It should be in a rather complexly-named Windows folder, inside your Windows \WinSxS folder, but even if we could work out what that name should be, I don't think just placing it there does the job.

I've really no idea at all how your FSX installation went so wrong, but wrong it has most certainly gone.

There are two possible ways of recovering, I think. The one I really should recommend is an uninstall of FSX and then a complete re-install. Then search for Simconnect.dll again to make sure it's worked this time.

An alternative, if you have the Deluxe version, would be to find the SDK on DVD1, install that, then find the Simconnect.msi file which should be in the SDK's "Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib" folder, I think. Then run the msi file to install Simconnect.

Whatever you do, you should never have been able to get into this situation so I think you should still report this problem to MS.

Regards

Pete

Peter, I did the reinstall of FSX. I find the SimConnect folder now in:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9

There is nothing inside of it

I still cannot get FSUIPC to install.

Thanks

Mark T

Peter, I did the reinstall of FSX. I find the SimConnect folder now in:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9

There is nothing inside of it

Er .... that looks right for the FOLDER, in fact it's exactly the same as mine. But what do you mean by "the Simconnect folder" inside it? There should just be SimConnect.dll inside it, no more folders?

I still cannot get FSUIPC to install.

If there is no Simconnect.dll I'm not surprised!!! The error message from my Installer will be the same. Without SimConnect NO ADDONS USING SIMCONNECT will work!

I think you need to contact Microsoft support. If a complete re-install still isn't installing FSX properly then either you have bad DVDs or there's something about your system preventing correct installation and Microsoft need to be told.

After that, if you have the Deluxe version, you can try installing SimConnect from the msi file as I suggested. But you shouldn't need to! Something is wrong and that should be reported!

Regards

Pete

Can I copy the SimConnect dll files from the FSX DVD and just paste them into the empty folder? Is it that simple?

Is there a Simconnect.dll readily available on the DVD? I don't know. you could try I suppose. I just cannot imagine why the installer would bother to create that complicated (but correct) folder and then not put the file into it. Very strange.

Regards

Pete

Yes, I did an explore of disk one and there are 2 simconnect files (.dll) there. I am at work right now. I will drag them into the empty folder later and let you know if it works.

You can't have two files both named the same in the same folder. I don't know why there are two - hopefully they are identical so it won't matter which one you put there. Otherwise, right click and check that the version is the same as that you quoted me someplace (it's also built into part of bthat long folder name).

Regards

Pete

Pete, I went home for lunch, here is what I found:

There are 3 SimConnect files on the FSX disk one.

SimConnect.dll

SimConnect.dll manifest file

Some type if SimConnect exe log file.

I copied the SimConnect.dll file and pasted it into the Windows\Winsxs folder (the one that was empty)

I copied the manifest file into the same Winsxs folder.

Did not work.

I then tried the mainfest file into the Winsxs\manifest folder

Did not work.

I guess I will try another reinstall when I get home.

Mark T

Ok here is what I found out from Microsoft Tech Support

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

there is the x86_SimConnect folder, it should have the simConnect.dll file in it.

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifest-

There should be a simconnect mainfest file and a security catalog file.

Both of these have to be renamed to x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9. This is the product ID number.

It took 2 hours but I finally have it working now, thank you for all of the guidance you gave me, at first he had no idea what I was talking about but persistance pays LOL.

BTW all three of these files can be found on the FSX install disk one.

If you find anyone that did not get it installed properly.

For some reason it did not automatically install for me.

Thanks Again

Mark T

Chicago

Ok here is what I found out from Microsoft Tech Support

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

there is the x86_SimConnect folder, it should have the simConnect.dll file in it.

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifest-

There should be a simconnect mainfest file and a security catalog file.

Both of these have to be renamed to x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9. This is the product ID number.

It took 2 hours but I finally have it working now, thank you for all of the guidance you gave me, at first he had no idea what I was talking about but persistance pays LOL.

Glad you made it through! Well done.

I wonder why the installation didn't work properly though?

I think I'll check out exactly what the SimConnect.msi file does in the SDK -- I would think it would do exactly what you did manually but with no hassle. If so, I will get MS's permission to send it to anyone with such problems, or maybe even host it in my Announcements above.

Thanks,

Pete

Peter, one more thing. I see the addon menu at the top of flight sim. I have FSCopilot there but no FSUIPC. The install of FSUIPC did report ok, I do have a modules folder inside FSX now, but the modules dll is version 4.0.1.5. I have tried the V4.2 again but it is not showing.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks

Mark T

• 2 weeks later...

Pete and Mark,

The same thing happened to me. I was having problems with the first RTM build I downloaded from the beta site. For some reason, it stopped panning in virtual cockpit and spot plane mode. So I uninstalled, defragged and reinstalled. Panning was restored but I was unable to install FSUIPC4. Got the same error message as you did Mark.

Pete I totally concur with your comments about FSX being taken away from its mother too soon. It is really not ready yet. I have heard a lot of angry comments from my pilots at Mountain Air.

So now I gird my loins and hope that I can get the same results that Mark did.

Thanks so much Pete for all of your contributions.

Regards,

Verne Cotton

Peter, one more thing. I see the addon menu at the top of flight sim. I have FSCopilot there but no FSUIPC. The install of FSUIPC did report ok, I do have a modules folder inside FSX now, but the modules dll is version 4.0.1.5. I have tried the V4.2 again but it is not showing.

Is there an FSUIPC4.LOG file? If so, let's see it please.

Are you saying that the 4.026 install (available above) runs through and says "okay" but doesn't actually copy any new files into the Modules folder? I really cannot see how that is possible, as for success Windows must be reporting okay to each operation.

Regards

Pete

another one... I just remove my FSX and re-install guess what

my MULTIPLAYER DON'T SHOW ON MY FSX MENU...crazy..crazy..

I'm afraid I just can't fix FSX install problems. If a complete uninstall and re-install won't fix FSX I'm afraid you will have to call upon MS Tech Support.

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...