KennyG

DEM4km.bgl

55 posts in this topic

Help

I just purchased the 5.1 update and appeared everything went as advertised.

I changed Mytraffic to Mytraffic50 prior to the installation.

I allowed the files to expand, then after completion went to load FSX and I now get the above notice DEM4km.bgl not installed reinstall FSX.

Need Help.

Tks.

Kenny G.

Hi Kenny, looks like a corrupt FSX install. The file you mentioned isn't related to MyTraffic.

Do you have a lot of other addons installed apart from MTX?

If not, easiest would probably be to uninstall FSX SP1, perform a repair install followed by SP1 again. You can leave your new MyTraffic folder as is during this procedure.

The only thing you have to consider afterwards; a FSX-repair creates a fresh trafficAircraft.bgl under FSX\scenery\world\scenery. Delete it, a copy of the original is the file with the *.passive ending. That 'passive' ending disables the Pacificas, Soars etc.

If you have other addons installed, we might be able (or need) to find another way to recover the missing file(s?).

Hope this helps for now, kind regards

Jaap

Hi Kenny, looks like a corrupt FSX install. The file you mentioned isn't related to MyTraffic.

If not, easiest would probably be to uninstall FSX SP1, perform a repair install followed by SP1 again. You can leave your new MyTraffic folder as is during this procedure.

The only thing you have to consider afterwards; a FSX-repair creates a fresh trafficAircraft.bgl under FSX\scenery\world\scenery. Delete it, a copy of the original is the file with the *.passive ending. That 'passive' ending disables the Pacificas, Soars etc.

If you have other addons installed, we might be able (or need) to find another way to recover the missing file(s?).

Jaap

The only add ons I have are several aircraft from FSD no scenery ASX and My Traffic 5.0

I am not very puter literate I have never had a problem with FSX since I purchased it last year when it came out can't understand the problem.

Not looking forward to doing a complete new install:(

Kenny G.

Jaap

The only add ons I have are several aircraft from FSD no scenery ASX and My Traffic 5.0

I am not very puter literate I have never had a problem with FSX since I purchased it last year when it came out can't understand the problem.

Not looking forward to doing a complete new install:(

Kenny G.

Hi Kenny, the method I described was a repair install, not an un-installation. Post SP1 and in combination with MyTraffic, this only requires the additional step I mentioned.

Frankly, this is a tough one to solve. The DEM file missing and MyTraffic are two separate issues. It likely doesn't make much sense to start troubleshooting MyTraffic (if necessary at all?) when the first issue isn't resolved. So, how to obtain the missing file?

Do you have a FSX backup somewhere? If, a copy of the missing file would be in there.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Kenny, the method I described was a repair install, not an un-installation. Post SP1 and in combination with MyTraffic, this only requires the additional step I mentioned.

Frankly, this is a tough one to solve. The DEM file missing and MyTraffic are two separate issues. It likely doesn't make much sense to start troubleshooting MyTraffic (if necessary at all?) when the first issue isn't resolved. So, how to obtain the missing file?

Do you have a FSX backup somewhere? If, a copy of the missing file would be in there.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

I have my original disk will that do the trick.

Kenny G.

DEM4KM.bgl is a very rough model of the earth shapes, used for far awy regions and fats loading, before loading the mesh. Maybe you check first if the file really does not exist, I will look up where it should be.

It should be in scenery\base\scenery. If it ain't there, somebody can help you and upload it for you, it isn't big, just 4M. If it is there, than mybe you have a basic problem with your scenery.cfg file ( in the all users profile ).

Unfortunately a complete reinstall of FSX would not help in this case, unless you manually delete all instaces of FSX settings in all profiles.

It should be in scenery\base\scenery. If it ain't there, somebody can help you and upload it for you, it isn't big, just 4M. If it is there, than mybe you have a basic problem with your scenery.cfg file ( in the all users profile ).

Unfortunately a complete reinstall of FSX would not help in this case, unless you manually delete all instaces of FSX settings in all profiles.

Tks. Burhard

When I get home later I will check to see if it is there.

If not will ask someone to upload.

One thing I forgot to mention, approximately 2 months ago I installed Tile Proxy but could not understand how to completely use it so I uninstalled the program.

This would be the only thing which I have done.

Tks. for your continued support.

Kenny G.

I cannot comment on this one, but many addons need to make changes or to replace stock files. In any of these cases, an uninstall cannot be done - therefore I only can repaet my lonely preaches in the desert that you cannot uninstall addons to FS9 or FSX. :lol:

Hi Kenny, since Tileproxy is scenery related it makes lots of sense. However, DEM4km might not be the only missing file...

If you like, drop me a PM tonight and we'll see what we can can do.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Kenny, since Tileproxy is scenery related it makes lots of sense. However, DEM4km might not be the only missing file...

If you like, drop me a PM tonight and we'll see what we can can do.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Tks. Jaap

I will drop you a PM later tonight and let you know if I have DEM4km in the scenery file or not.

Tks. again.

Kenny G.

Hi Burkhard

I checked Scenery\base\scenery and the folder is there but no files.

I also tried to locate my Scenery.cfg file by search and It does not show as being on my computer.

Kenny G.

If there are no files at all in \scenery\base\scenery, than I would consider the FSX installation to be wideley wiped out, beyond anything I think could be repaired - so a complete uninstall of FSX, deletion of all FSX entries in the all users profiles and in %appdata% should be done, followed by a nw install of FSX, than Service Pack One, than MyTraffic.

If there are no files at all in \scenery\base\scenery, than I would consider the FSX installation to be wideley wiped out, beyond anything I think could be repaired - so a complete uninstall of FSX, deletion of all FSX entries in the all users profiles and in %appdata% should be done, followed by a nw install of FSX, than Service Pack One, than MyTraffic.

Hi Burkhard

If I was to do a restore prior to the date I installed the upgrade to 5.1 will that bring FSX back to the state it was in before I tried to install the upgrade.

Kenny G

Hi Kenny, I fear not. The problem seems to be related to the scenery folders. MyTraffic doesn't alter these.

OTOH, you could always give it a try. If it works, perhaps call back before installing MyTraffic? We'll walk you through it.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Kenny, I fear not. The problem seems to be related to the scenery folders. MyTraffic doesn't alter these.

OTOH, you could always give it a try. If it works, perhaps call back before installing MyTraffic? We'll walk you through it.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

If I use a restore point prior to attempting to install the ugrade to 5.1 would it not include MT 5.0 which I had installed prior to the upgrade 5.1.

Tks. for ur comments

Kenny G.

Hi Kenny, a restore point should indeed put you back to that point. Not much can go wrong. AIM, the only thing I fear is it doesn't fix the prob. If it does, great, and we can look into installing the new MTX version.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hm. Maybe I'm old fashioned. But those restore points, do they help if files got overwitten and deleted than, to get back the originals? My understanding is that they restore the registry settings only, but do not set the file systemback to that state. Or am I wrong, and didn't get a major revolution in computing while painting aircraft?

Probably a mixed bag. DX for example, can't be rolled back AFAIK.

Copied and pasted from winXP's 'Help and Support' section

Copyright MS ;-)

System Restore Overview:

- System Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.

Understanding System Restore

- If you restore to a restore point before a program was installed, that program does not work after restoration. If you want to use the program again, you must reinstall it.

- System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program. To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.

- System Restore does not monitor or restore contents of redirected folders or any settings associated with roaming user profiles.

- System Restore monitors and restores only the partitions and drives that it is configured to monitor, not partitions or drives that are redirected or excluded from System Restore monitoring.

- If you have encrypted program files (such as files that have the .exe or .dll file name extensions), you can ensure that they can never be restored to a decrypted state. To do this, turn off System Restore before you encrypt your files or folders, and then turn System Restore on again after the files or folders are encrypted. Or, if you have already encrypted the files or folders, turn System Restore off and on again. When you turn off System Restore, you delete all restore points. The restore points that are created after System Restore is turned on again will not include times when the files were decrypted. Typically, you only encrypt data files, which are not affected by System Restore.

- Antivirus utilities can affect whether your system can be restored to a previous point. If a restore point contains an infected file because the utility is not set to clean the file within the restore point, or if an infected file has been removed from a restore point by an antivirus utility because it could not be cleaned, System Restore will not recover the computer to this partial or infected state. If System Restore could not restore your computer to a previous state, and you suspect that one or more restore points contain infected files or have had infected files removed by the antivirus utility, you can remove all restore points from the System Restore archive by turning off System Restore and then turning it back on.

Hi All

Tks. for all your comments on my problem with trying to install the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 which resulted in a scenery problem not allowing me to open FSX.

I am going to uninstall FSX and after, reinstall MyTraffic.

I was fortunate I paid the extra $3.00 to provide me with a link until Jan. 2008.

When I download MyTraffic will it be the latest edition 5.1 or will I have to apply the update from 5.0 to 5.1.

Tks. for any comments.

Kenny G.

Hi Kenny, it depends on the version you have. If memory isn't failing, you had a Simmarket version and downloaded the new v.5.1 installer which is ca 400MB for 5 Euro. Correct?

In this case you only need to execute the new file, it's a completely new installer. No intermediate steps are required. Please remember to not interrupt the installation process, specially during the creation of the traffic.bgls. ;-) Depending on your system this may take a little while.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Kenny, it depends on the version you have. If memory isn't failing, you had a Simmarket version and downloaded the new v.5.1 installer which is ca 400MB for 5 Euro. Correct?

In this case you only need to execute the new file, it's a completely new installer. No intermediate steps are required. Please remember to not interrupt the installation process, specially during the creation of the traffic.bgls. ;-) Depending on your system this may take a little while.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Jaap

Just so I have this correct, I just execute the 5.1 installer which I purchased to convert 5.0 to 5.1 which caused my problems LOL.

Tks. for your comments.

Kenny G.

Hi Kenny, frankly, I wouldn't dare confirm without exactly knowing which 'exe' you have. So, pls tell us which one you've got - exact filename and size - and we'll confirm.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap