#1 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

Hi all,

I recently took the plunge and upgraded to a Dell 720 XPS system. I'm running Vista and am overall getting great frame rates (>40 fps)on decent settings.

Problem is, FSX will freeze up intermittently, usually 3-10 minutes into a flight. I do have track IR and 2 GoFlight modules (GF-46 and RP48), but I have tried to isolate these and still have the lock up problem even with these uninstalled.

I can't seem to identify a particular culprit. I am running Vista with UAC turned off and programs have permission in McAffee firewall.

any thoughts would be appreciated - I've invested in a nice system but can't enjoy it in FSX :cry:

thanks!

#2 Burkhard

Burkhard

Product Support

• Moderators
  • 14,374 posts
  • LocationIn front of my computer

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

What does freeze up mean?

Does it recover after a second or a minute?

Have you to terminate it?

Have you to restart the computer?

#3 tim arnot

tim arnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationEngland. Just past the bus stop, on the left.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

Is this online (ie multiplayer/vatsim/IVAO) or offline/single player? I have a similar system (XPS M1710, with Vista32), and the only time FS ever freezes is when I'm on Vatsim, and that's definitely in the court of the multiplayer client software. This is with FSX SP1.

Also, are you using SP1 or SP2/Acceleration?
Posted Image
EFC1168. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
And a blog too!

#4 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

Good questions - let me be more specific:

By "freezing up" I mean:

1) video/screen images do not move
2) background engine sound continues without change
3) no response from keyboard/mouse/yoke etc...
4) no response to "Esc" key in attempt to end flight - must use CTL ALT DEL to get to Task Manager, and then FSX shows Not Responding

The problem will not self-recover. I can get out of FSX using Task Manager and don't need to restart the computer.

The problem occurs off line in single player mode. I previously was using Vatsim with FSInn, but now that it locks up so much, I don't even bother with online flight.

I'm using SP1. Actually just bought Acceleration/SP2 today and was thinking of installing to see if that might help. (will backup system in case I need to roll back)

Interestingly, the first time I try to run FSX again I get an error sayting the FSX Module to GoFlight bridge not responding. If I exit out of the GoFlight config icon (using most recent update V1.77) on the right lower corner (by the clock icon etc...), I don't get the data bridge error until it "freezes" again and I repeat the process. However, even with the GoFlight modules uninstalled, it will still lock up, though variably - I can't seem to isolate the culprit. I'm not sure, but I might have experienced more problems after the updating the new GoFlight software - tried uninstalling, and even loading the prior version, but I still get the same problem.

thanks for your help!

#5 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:07 AM

For what it's worth - I installed FSX acceleration and that fixed all my problems! I think there must of been some conflict with the GoFlight config software, as now the GoFlight box turns off after quitting FSX, (as it's supposed to with the latest update), but it never did before the upgrade. Track IR is running smoother too, and the graphics look great!

ok, I'll stop answering my own post now, but if anyone else encounters a similar problem, you might try loading FSX acceleration with SP2 and see if that helps.

#6 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

It appears I spoke too soon. Everything worked great for 1 day, now back to same problems. Can't figure this out.
Maddening! :evil:

#7 N99WB

N99WB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

"now back to same problems."

You're having problems withe GoFlight software again?

#8 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

I'm thinking that may be the culprit, but still occurs even if I uninstall GFConfig. Thing is, all works great for a variable amount of time - from 20 sec to 20 minutes (more like 20 sec most recently) and then comes to a halt. Will keep trying...

#9 joeyp78

joeyp78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

have you had any luck with this problem? I stumbled across this board while trying to figure out why my 720 keeps freezing. I am not running a flight sim, but everyday tasks such as running firefox freezes my pc. I have been on tech support for the last month and they have yet to diagnose anything. They are finally sending me out a new video card and memory to see if thats the problem.

#10 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hi Joey,

I can never tell how long a "fix" will last, but now I'm thinking it was Track IR that was messing things up - particularly at high frame rates. I did a complete reinstall of FSX and FS Acceleration. With the default FPS at 25, I now seem to be having better luck. We'll see how long this lasts though.

As far as the XPS 720 (and sorry if off topic) I spent the last 3 months trying to isolate a sound problem. Dell ended up replacing the mother board, memory, power source, sound card X 4, and even sent me a new computer. Ended up being primarily a problem with the LED Effects software.

Go to the LED quick set panel and try this:
1) turn on LED effects
2) click apply
3) turn the transition speed slider all the way to the left - lower is better here, that was a key part of the problem
4) click apply
5) turn LED effects off
6) click apply
7) if that doesn't work, try turning off LEDs in the BIOS

not sure if that will help you, but as stated, it took me 3 months of near daily tech support to figure that out, so hope that it might help you too!

#11 docehrenhoefer

docehrenhoefer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSt.Gallen

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

Well, it might be that it is the same problem as I had with my system...
So called "out of memory errors", there is a fix by microsoft. Google "phil taylor blog" and "oom", there is
a microsoft windows patch (somthing like KB940105), has to do with a memory allocation error.

If you use more that 2G RAM, there is a tweak on avsim.com, you have to do a bcdedit to allocate more
virtual ram. I don't really know the prompt exactly any more, as I am nothing more than a simple user,
but it is linked on phil taylors blog.

My problems were solved by that....

Greets!

#12 joeyp78

joeyp78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:55 AM

awesome thanks for the tips. I just put in the new video card 8600 gts and a stick of ram that they sent me but as soon as it starts acting up again I will for sure try that.

#13 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

arg...FSX gremlins again! :evil:

I thought I had solved the problem by just reinstalling everything, but FSX keeps freezing up on me - screen doesn't move, controls don't repond. Usually happens a minute our so after takeoff. At first I thought it was a problem with GoFlight or Track IR, but now having same problems with out either running. Could be something with Vista? (I'm running 32 with UAC turned off). After doing a complete reinstall, I can't seem to get GoFlight working either and am still trying to figure that out. When all works, everything is great, but this is maddeniing - I may be doomed to sit out FSX, despite my investment in a new machine.

All suggestions appreciated, as for now I am grounded :cry:

#14 baksteen33

baksteen33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationIn the mountains

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi Orbit,

Vista32 seriously sucks in RTM condition IMHO. I would either crossgrade to 64-bit or give Vista SP1 RC1 a try. Over here, RC1 turned V32 into a somewhat usable system altogether.

http://www.microsoft.../detafe9461f808

Good luck and kind regards

Jaap

#15 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Jaap, but could you clarify for me - what does RTM and RC1 stand for? Is this basically SP1, similar to what came out for XP a while back?

thanks!

#16 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

If you don't want any headaches... Go back to XP and FS9. In all other cases, continue to tinker with two bleeding edge programs :mrgreen:

Seriously, I have read quite a number of 'freezing' issues in the combination of Vista, FSX and 8800 cards. Haven't read what card you have?

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#17 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

Hi Francois,

I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (single card).

I did a total reinstall and then stepwise re-installed SP1 and then Acceleration. I was able to complete a few patterns without FSX "freeze". Not sure how long will last though. Next I'm going to try Track IR again - somehow I think that might be the culprit (or maybe in combination with GoFlight) , but problem occurs sporadically and has been difficult to isolate.

BTW: would have stayed with XP if I knew then ....

#18 baksteen33

baksteen33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationIn the mountains

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Sorry for the slang, Orbit.

RTM = Release to manufacturing

RC1 = Release candidate 1 (this is often very close to what the final product will look like)

Also a merry Christmas to you, gentlemen.

Kind regards

Jaap

#19 Orbit

Orbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Jaap.

Things remain screwy in FSX-Vista-Land. After doing a complete reinstall -AGAIN- FSX seems to work, at least temporarily - we'll see how long that lasts, but now I can't get Track IR to recognize FSX. (Using Track IR 4 Pro with clip) tracking lights work fine, but no blue light, and will not recognize FSX profile. Tried deleting and reinstalling Track IR but no use. Odd b/c I had been using it for months and for the most part worked, until things got screwy.

any Vista-FSx-Track IR tips?

well, I don't wont be a Grinch, so happy holidays to all!

#20 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:50 AM

TrackIR guys are usually pretty responsive to problems. Did you contact them directly yet?

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket