Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi all
I just bought the courchevel scenery from LLH, very nice, and well worth the €20!

But I've noticed that, due to having to re-design it to be able to display the sloped runway in FSX, it isn't where the default LFLJ was/is in FSX.

Which means of course that the LFLJ in the FS GPS doesn't correspond anymore to where the LLH LFLJ Courcheval actually is.

Which in turn means that you can't use the GPS to navigate there anymore.

It would interest me how you find it in real life, I presume with good old NDB/VOR nav, which means I'll be needing a chart for the area.

Anyone know how it's done in real life? And when I need a chart: Which one, and where can I obtain it?

I did watch this video:

, but it's not really clear how he found his way to it, he makes it look sooo easy! (I thought his landing was a bit..er..firm though :-) )

I'll be grateful for any ideas :-)

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

"Air Force 54, it appears your engine has... oh... disregard, I see you've already ejected."

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
AMD Opteron 180 on MSI K8T Neo2-F
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
Samsung 22" TFT + LG 19” CRT
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#2 tim arnot

tim arnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationEngland. Just past the bus stop, on the left.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

http://www.sia.aviat...v.fr/aip_uk.htm

Select Courcheval from the list.
Posted Image
EFC1168. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
And a blog too!

#3 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

I fly there in real life. It's a VFR only 'field' ('slope' is a better nominator). Usually we follow mountain chains, knowing what they look like. Strangers are not allowed to land on Courchevel without a special mountain endorsement. So they usually don't need to find it ;-)

There are no navaids. You just flry south from Albertville to Moutiers, turn left into the second valle south of Moutiers towards the city of Bozel and join the patter (as described in the French airport chart Tim pointed you to).

But I believe that he author (LLH) has added a (fictitious) VOR station to make finding it easier ???

Bests,
François

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#4 Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Francois
I was hoping that you'd reply too, as you're on one of the few people I know that's really been there :-)
The chart that Tim pointed me too is very helpful, but your key words
"You just fly south from Albertville to Moutiers, turn left into the second valley south of Moutiers towards the city of Bozel and join the pattern" were really all I needed!

I did notice though that the pilot in the YouTube video approached from Chambery, so I got to thinking...
I started from Aix-le-Bains (LFLB) and flew 115° at 7000ft until I saw the 8000'er mountain marked on the chart. I kept left of it and flew down the next valley looking for Courchevel. When overhead of Courchevel I did a sort of triangular approach like the pilot in the video, and managed to do a very nice controlled crash in the F1 PC-12 :-)
Thanks everybody for the help!

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

"Air Force 54, it appears your engine has... oh... disregard, I see you've already ejected."

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#5 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

There you go ! :D

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#6 Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, well..I spoke too soon. the second time I tried it, I crashed and burned :mrgreen:

Now I'm off to fly the published approach, maybe I'll live longer that way :D

On the other hand, the Visa card statement came today (Flight1, ESDG, Aerosoft, two expensive books about radial engine development etc, etc, you know what I mean..), and when my wife sees it, I suspect I haven't got long to live anyway, hehe...

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#7 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Use PayPal ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#8 Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Solid advice as always Francois, a support forum for every problem to do with FS!
Nice one with Paypal, it could've been a good idea,but Paypal also debits my Visa card, and not all companies accept Paypal anyway.
This time I've made do with "misplacing" the Visa statement till she forgets about it, it's worked quite well in the past, otherwise I'd have been dead long ago :mrgreen:

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#9 tim arnot

tim arnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationEngland. Just past the bus stop, on the left.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

I'd recommend getting hold of a VFR chart if you plan on doing much flying in the area. That part of France is covered by IGN chart "France Sud-Est", or Jeppesen chart LF-4 (available from pilot supply stores, or try eBay for expired ones). I've collected quite a few over the years, and they definitely enhance VFR flying.
Posted Image
EFC1168. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
And a blog too!

#10 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yup, indeed, getting some real charts of the area makes it more fun and realistic!
I'll see if I can post a few shots from my flights there one of these days.....

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#11 alexf

alexf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationBetween KMIA and KFLL

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

Loved the thread and the video. Thanks for the info. Now I have to get past the wife to get Courchevel, (I have the same problem with the wife and just spent a lot in Euros in FSX upgrades). :)
Alex

Posted Image

#12 Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Well, after seeing all the advice in this thread, I've been and gone and done it: I just ordered the relavant Jepp. chart from Skyfox in Berlin. €14.65 with the postage, a lot of money for a piece of paper some would say, but, compared to it's usefulness, cheap at the price. I just hope my wife feels the same way, :mrgreen:

Now all I need is the Twotter from Aerosoft, and it'll be perfect :D

I've been using Flight One's PC-12 in the meantime, a handy tool, but it's a slippery bugger, you really need to to get your act together with the speed management on the approach! The fact that as go-round is not an option seriously increases the "pucker-factor" on finals :lol:

Here's my favorite video showing how the profi PC-12 drivers do it: http://www.youtube.c...P9CRFre=related

I haven't had so much fun in FS since I don't know when. I'd LOVE to do it for real, maybe one day....

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#13 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

I haven't had so much fun in FS since I don't know when. I'd LOVE to do it for real, maybe one day....

Regards
Grahame

Just make sure you have a good instructor with you. We saw quite a few crashed planes parked behind the hangar and witnessed an accident ourselves last yearthis is definitely NOT a strip for inexperienced pilots :wink:

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

#14 Benoit

Benoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Yep, I like a lot too the info found in this thread :P

Courcheval is awesome, didn't tried it until yesterday though it's in default version. Maybe will buy the scenery Graham you suggest but looks like a little "hard" to run on middle specs, what I have? :roll:

I based this on the video in the web site, it seems to lag a little big and is made by the authors so I'm wondering...

The clip is really cool!
Ben.

Sig_4.jpg

#15 CBris

CBris

Kitchen Cynic and Phriday Filosopher

• Administrators
  • 7,302 posts
  • Locationnear ETHS

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

PMFBI...

You "fly" Courchevel, Francois? Do you know Dan Knutti? If yes, say hi the next time you see him.

Piper Cheyenne - grey uppers green unders and a godawful set of stripes to do for a repaint - his skin is one of the most popular paints I did for the PA31 - even any of my paints.
Chris B, aka "Dances with paintbrushes", aka EagleSkinner

Posted Image

"EagleSkinner" repaints can be found on my homepage (click the image)

My Blog
Follow me on Facebook too

#16 Grahame Myers

Grahame Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLübeck Germany

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

Ben
I haven't noticed any FPS drop with Courchevel, although I must say that on my somewhat "last-generation" system I don't run Autogen at all (looks awful in my opinion, giant trees and lego houses :lol: ), or the default traffic.
I use MyTrafficX, but turn it off when flying Courchevel as MT doesn't recognise it for AI, although it still runs in the background and uses CPU resorces which I can better utilize for other things.
I have my FPS set to unlimited, and get 20-28 at Courchevel using the FlightOne PC-12, which is OK.

Regards
Grahame
EFC_239

XP Pro SP2
FSX+SP1+SP2
RX1950Pro 512MB
2Gb Corsair XMS
Audigy X-Fi
Corsair VX450 PSU
Antec 900 Case
TrackIR4 Pro
Saitek Yoke+Pedals
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS

#17 Benoit

Benoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Thx for these clarifications Grahame.

I'm really considering it then. Maybe I will buy it this weekend :wink:

Ben.

Sig_4.jpg

#18 Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas

Former Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,747 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

AI wouldn't work anyway at Courchevel, since it can't cope with sloped runways :?

FSAddon.com Publishing
EuropeRides
... and the man's Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket