The simFlight Network Forums

Tutorial: how to get LUA Vars or commands out of FS

guenseli

• 5 months later...

Because of several questions I have decided to write a little tutorial for this people which want to assign their custom key commands via FSUIPC using LVARs or just the logging.

Hi, I am new to this, so please bear with me...

I would like to detect when a specific "L" variable in FSX changes value

from 0 to 1 and then issue a keypress.

I know how to issue a key press when a joystick button is pushed

and I have read that I can read Lvars using a LUA IPC command,

so I suspect that what I want to do is possible.

I need someone to confirm that this is indeed possible and point

me to a tutorial on how to construct the needed pieces and

how to string them together into a working solution..

I have the patience to try a few things, but am stuck at the very beginning...

Edit: after reading your tutorials and examples, I've actually got it working!

Little LUA program:

while 1 do
enter=ipc.readLvar("L:XXXXX")
if enter ~= 0 then
ipc.keypress(113,32)
end
ipc.sleep(100)
end

and an AUTO entry in FSUIPC.ini to start the lua program

for this aircraft.. and it works!

Thanks for all the great info here and the brilliant

FSUIPC program. :D

• 2 months later...

Oh wow!

Old as this thread is, I've only just read it (or tried to :oops: )

It's brilliant. Only wish I had the 'know how' and aptitude to impliment this stuff.

I only recently aquired some saitek panels (yuk! But hindsight is a wonderful thing :huh: ), for which some of this stuff can actually make work.

This is just a 'pre-emptive' thanks to the contibutors (and Pete of course) in case I just happen to be able to make use of it.

So, Thanks all!

• 5 months later...

Now left me a question, how could I detect when these FSUIPC variable was modified? What I mean is, like FSUIPC can log an action in a case such as variable L: EmbLandLt = 0, referring to the Landing Light, yet use FSUIPC as I could in my program and do the same?

I'm a bit confused by your question.

If you want to see when L:Vars change, there's a Lua plug-in provided in the Examples installed by FSUIPC which logs L:Vars and their changes in real-time to an overlain Lua display window. It's called "log lvars.lua".

If you are instead referring to internal FS values, not local gauge variables, then you can monitor the relevant offsets using the FSUIPC monitoring facilities in the Logging section. You'll need to find the appropriate offsets and their types from the documents provided in the FSUIPC SDK. For instance the lights are all individual bits in a word (U16) at offset 0D0C.

Regards

Pete

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Pete,

could this work with the flight1tech g1000 training software, which uses external switches on hardware (no visible panel).  If I flip a switch on the hardware while in fsx, could I get a logging or lua variable?

thanks, 

John

Just now, jmg225 said:

could this work with the flight1tech g1000 training software, which uses external switches on hardware (no visible panel).  If I flip a switch on the hardware while in fsx, could I get a logging or lua variable?

Sorry, I've no idea what you want to do. If the switches are seen by FS and FSUIPC then of course you can assign them to various things, but what do me mean "get a logging or lua variable"? "Get" what to where and for what?

Best to post support questions to the Support Forum. This subforum is really a reference section and I rarely look here.

Pete

• 2 years later...