4 replies to this topic

#1 Hiconic

Hiconic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCairns,Australia

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

I'm getting an error msg on FSX loading, I guess it's been caused by one of the many planes/missions I've been downloading and installing. The message is and I quote " Scenery,CFG,file error, Invalid Remote Scenery path in Area ,121." Can anyone help me as to where I start to track down and how to reverse this problem. I understand that Area 121 is default scenery and in the scenery library I get told cannot be edited, but I was wondering if I go into FSX program CFG files and have a look there?
Pete

#2 Burkhard

Burkhard

Product Support

• Moderators
  • 14,332 posts
  • LocationIn front of my computer

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

FSX itself ends with 116, so most likely an addon. Just look under users\all users\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

#3 GaryGB

GaryGB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hello:

As Burkhard points out, the area layers physically "above" FSX default layers 1->116 (which have "larger" area numbers, ex: 121) in the FSX Scenery Library User interface are normally add-ons (...unless the Scenery.Cfg has been manually edited to purposely rearrange it).

Try this: :idea:

1.) From the FSX main menu navigate to Settings > Scenery Library (or in a full-screen flight, press to bring up the FSX menu and navigate to World > Scenery Library).

2.) In the FSX Scenery Library User interface will be your "stack of layers" which list default FSX scenery areas at the bottom, and add-ons will appear "above" (...usually in the order that one installs them to FSX).

3.) Scroll up/down as needed to find Area 121

4.) Select Area 121 in the list, and click "Edit Area" button to verify and/or refresh the path so in a "detail view" browse dialog, one sees:
a.) "\Scenery" folder in the right hand window pane (Windows XP)
b.) or the "top" folder above that "\Scenery" folder is showing in that right window pane (Vista / Win7).

5.) After refreshing the proper path to your add-on BGL file(s), click OK to return to the FSX Scenery Library User interface

6.) Click OK again to re-index the Scenery Library and return to the FSX main menu (...or your flight in process).

FYI: Because a "Remote Location" parameter appeared in your FSX error message, if you get another error complaining about the files for Area 121 again, verify if the files were on a removable media disk or a USB drive that you have lost connectivity with.

BTW: If you do use FSX scenery on a removable media disk or a USB drive, be sure to tick the "Cache This Scenery" in the "Edit Area" radio button in that dialog, and then un-check "Empty scenery cache on exit" in the FSX Scenery Library User interface to improve FSX access and read performance for scenery ordinarily accessed much slower from those types of drives.

If there is no access issue with a removable media disk or USB drive, your Scenery.Cfg may require a quick maintenance procedure; if so:

With FSX NOT running on your system:

1.) Browse to: http://home.earthlin...wood/cenery.zip

2.) Be sure Vista / Win7 UAC is off, you have Administrative permission, and "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is enabled under
a.) Folder Options in Windows XP
b.) or the equivalent user interface in Vista\Win7

3.) UnZIP fsscenery.zip into:
a.) Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\["All Users" OR "All Users.WINDOWS"]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\
b.) Vista / Win7: C:\Users\["All Users" OR "All Users.WINDOWS"]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

NOTE: Verify that you have the "active" "Scenery.Cfg" file with a current date and time in that folder, or it may be the wrong folder !

4.) Follow the instructions in the FSTscenery Readme file:
a.) "Place FSTscenery.exe and scenery.cfg in the same folder"
b.) "Double-click FSTscenery.exe to run the program".

NOTE: The Readme further states- "The application creates a copy of your original as scenery.org
and constructs a new scenery.cfg file in the same folder
".

After maintenance that verifies/realigns Area and Layer numbers is done ( a split second normally), restart FSX to see if the error recurs.

Please post back here again to let us know how this worked out for you. :wink:

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

#4 Hiconic

Hiconic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCairns,Australia

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Gary for the very detailed, and for you, time consuming! solution to my problem. Yes it did the trick and the annoying error msg on start-up of FSX has disappeared back into the hidden depths of FSX to await it's next mission. I do appreciate the effort you put in to assist me, very generous of you. For me it was yet another educational lesson in PC fiddling and tinkering, something that previously used to scare the crap outta me now has become a bit of a challenge just as in learning to fly with FSX, only I think you need to get the reward for this mission. :D
Pete

#5 GaryGB

GaryGB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi Pete:

Glad that worked for you ! :D

Happy Flying ! 8)

GaryGB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket