The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with WideFS

Hello,

I've done a search in the forum and can't find any answers to this issue. First, I'm running FSX+Acceleration, Win 7 64, registered versions of FSUIPC and WideFS. Last night I decided to install MyTraffic X 5.3. Prior to the install, I could start a flight anywhere and WideFS would start up with the notation in the title bar "Mircrosoft Flight Simulator X with WideServer: waiting for clients". However, after the installation of MTX, this doesn't happen. The only way I can get it to start is by starting the default flight first, then ending the flight. If I start at any other airport with any other aircraft, WideServer wont start. My Windows 7 firewall is set to allow connections to port 8002. I have also tried doing a re-install of FSUIPC and WideFS, same outcome. Here is the copy of my WideServer log. It seems normal, but the problem is when I do any other flight then the default, a log wont even be created.

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.60a] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 18/08/10, Time 17:36:36.202: Server name is JEREMY-PC

16022 Initialising TCP/IP server

16022 Initialising IPX/SPX server

16022 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

16022 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

16022 Initialising UDP/IP server

16100 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

16693 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=9756) TCP

16927 Connected to computer "JEREMY-CLIENT" running WideClient version 6.780 (skt=9756) TCP

76254 Error 10053: client socket disconnected at Client: removing (skt=9756) TCP

168606 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=3724) TCP

168653 Restarting service due to zero reception!

168653 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

171617 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=9728) TCP

171726 Connected to computer "JEREMY-CLIENT" running WideClient version 6.780 (skt=9728) TCP

Last night I decided to install MyTraffic X 5.3. Prior to the install, I could start a flight anywhere and WideFS would start up with the notation in the title bar "Mircrosoft Flight Simulator X with WideServer: waiting for clients". However, after the installation of MTX, this doesn't happen.

There's nothing in MTX which affects anything in either FSUIPC or WideFS. Something else has been corrupted by the sound of it. I've applied all of the MTX updates, including 5.3. They simply affect the scenery CFG file and provide the additional SimObjects reference (in FSX.CFG) for the AI aircraft.

The only way I can get it to start is by starting the default flight first, then ending the flight. If I start at any other airport with any other aircraft, WideServer wont start.

That makes no sense at all. There is nothing in FSUIPC or WideFS which knows or cares what aircraft or airport you use. It sounds more likely you have some corruption in some of your saved flights which is messing something up in FSX's internals.

I have also tried doing a re-install of FSUIPC and WideFS, same outcome.

How exactly do you "re-install WideFS"? There's no installation for it, WideServer 7 being part of FSUIPC4!

Here is the copy of my WideServer log. It seems normal, but the problem is when I do any other flight then the default, a log wont even be created.

Since WideServer is part of FSUIPC4, the FSUIPC4 log is important too. FSUIPC only starts up the WideServer part when FS is "ready to fly". It sounds like you are sometimes never reaching that "ready to fly" stage. I need to see an FSUIPC4 log with that happening. The whole log, please, after FSX is closed, not a partial one like that from WideServer you showed. Best if you enable "Extras" logging (in the FSUIPC Logging tab), then close and restart FSX. The 'extras' logging shows SimConnect's flight status. Try one session with it going wrong and another with it going right, so we can see the difference.

Regards

Pete

There's nothing in MTX which affects anything in either FSUIPC or WideFS. Something else has been corrupted by the sound of it. I've applied all of the MTX updates, including 5.3. They simply affect the scenery CFG file and provide the additional SimObjects reference (in FSX.CFG) for the AI aircraft.

I never said that I thought MTX had anything to do with the issue. I was simply stating that it worked prior to the installation.

That makes no sense at all. There is nothing in FSUIPC or WideFS which knows or cares what aircraft or airport you use. It sounds more likely you have some corruption in some of your saved flights which is messing something up in FSX's internals.

Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense...that's why I posted. I wouldn't have posted if it made sense. Regardless if it made sense or not, it happened and I don't know why.

How exactly do you "re-install WideFS"? There's no installation for it, WideServer 7 being part of FSUIPC4!

Excuse me, but I'm an air traffic controller, not a programmer, I had no idea that WideServer was part of FSUIPC. I simply ran the FSUIPC install program and it asks if I want to register FSUIPC, WideFS, or Both...so I assumed they were two separate entities.

Since WideServer is part of FSUIPC4, the FSUIPC4 log is important too. FSUIPC only starts up the WideServer part when FS is "ready to fly". It sounds like you are sometimes never reaching that "ready to fly" stage. I need to see an FSUIPC4 log with that happening. The whole log, please, after FSX is closed, not a partial one like that from WideServer you showed. Best if you enable "Extras" logging (in the FSUIPC Logging tab), then close and restart FSX. The 'extras' logging shows SimConnect's flight status. Try one session with it going wrong and another with it going right, so we can see the difference.

No need, I fixed the issue by building a new fsx.cfg file...sorry I asked for help, I don't need to be spoken to like a child.

Excuse me, but I'm an air traffic controller, not a programmer, I had no idea that WideServer was part of FSUIPC. I simply ran the FSUIPC install program and it asks if I want to register FSUIPC, WideFS, or Both...so I assumed they were two separate entities.

But I needed to ask, because it has been known for folks not to read the instructions and install WideServer.DLL, which is for FS9 and before only. Please don't get upset because I ask relevant questions. How else am I to find out what is going on?

No need, I fixed the issue by building a new fsx.cfg file...sorry I asked for help, I don't need to be spoken to like a child.

What a strange reaction! Please read my reply again, as I'm sure you must be misreading it. I need to ask questions to get information sufficient to assist. If you cannot understand that I am wondering what sort of ATC you provide. I don't think I'd like to come across you as a pilot! :-(

Pete