The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS Server names translating into incorrect IP addresses

Pete Dowson

• 4 years later...

Hello Pete,

the link doesn´t work anymore.

The connection via wlan worked between the server and client. For testing purposes I changed the connection to cable. The network is ok, I find any folder in the explorer on the other PC. Simconnect does work too. Only Wideclient doesn´t make the connection to the server. I use the name of the server in the .ini, so it should find it automatically, doesn´t it. Protocol=TCP.

********* WideClient Log [version 6.999n] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 27/01/15, Time 12:27:01.948: Client name is SCHLEPPI
      188 Attempting to connect now
      188 LUA: "C:\FsWide\FSWide\Initial.LUA": not found
      188 Trying TCP/IP host "RABBIT" port 8002 ...
      188 ... Okay, IP Address = 192.168.178.27
    21232 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out
    21232 Ready to try connection again
    22262 Attempting to connect now

44414 ****** End of session performance summary ******
    44414 Total time connected = 0 seconds
    44414 Reception maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    44414 Transmission maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    44429 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

44429 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

The IP Address is wrong. How can that be?

Peter

the link doesn´t work anymore.

Ah, thanks for pointing this old statement out. I've changed it now. It was covered in the WideFS Technical guide not long after.

However, your IP address doesn't look like an Internet address either. 192.168.xxx.xxx are reserved for local networks I think. It's evidently the address provided to WideFS by Windows in response to querying it about the PC called "RABBIT". Maybe thereare two LAN connections enabled on it?

Have you tried setting the correct IP address explicitly, instead of using the PC name "RABBIT"?

Pete

Yes, I tried the right IP, but no success. And yes, there are 2 networks, one for wlan and one direct from the server to the client without going through the router. IPv4 is configured manually for direct (without router) connection. But Wideclient keeps trying the old wlan adress, thats wrong. And of course they cannot communicate through the router because i changed the setting in the router to: not allowed to communicate to each other. I want to use cable for testing purposes.

Peter

Yes, I tried the right IP, but no success. And yes, there are 2 networks, one for wlan and one direct from the server to the client without going through the router. IPv4 is configured manually for direct (without router) connection. But Wideclient keeps trying the old wlan adress, thats wrong. And of course they cannot communicate through the router because i changed the setting in the router to: not allowed to communicate to each other. I want to use cable for testing purposes

Sorry, I've no idea how to force a program to use a different routing -- it uses the IP address supplied by Windows if you give it the computer name, or the one you give it directly by parameter. If neither of those methods work then there's something weird going on. WideClient can do no more that request the specific port on the specific IP address.

Pete

Mhm. So Wideclient needs to have a router. Not simconnect. Well, it´s not too bad, my wlan doesn´t have a problem. I just wanted to see if simconnect/ASN is faster without the routing. But it doesn´t. There is no increase in framerate. This was just a happening besides and it is not causing anything. I´ll switch back to wlan and everthing is fine.

Thanks for reply Pete, appreciate your work for so long!

Mhm. So WideClient needs to have a router.

No, I've got 8 PCs on a hub, no router necessary. A router's only needed for Internet access and there's no internet stuff built into Wideclient or FSUIPC. None at all.

Sorry, I really don't know why using the correct IP address doesn't work. You say that even if you specify the correct address it is trying to use the other. How are you checking this? Are you sure it isn't just a firewall problem?

Pete

You made me test once more. Thank you, it works now! Maybe I had a misspelling in the "ServerIPAddr" (what a shame) or in the properties of the IPv4 on the client. The Standardgateway has the IP of the server "rabbit" = 192.168.0.2. That must be correct, I think, because the client wants to make a connection to the server. So I didn´t change it. On the other hand I changed the Standardgateway IP on the server from 192.168.0.1 (schleppi) to 0.2. It was just a shot. If that doesn´t matter, I had a misspelling. If that is the case I am deeply sorry for wasting your time.
Entering the name of the server doesn´t work, so it must be an IP Addr. Look at the second log.

Date (dmy): 28/01/15, Time 01:06:27.981: Client name is SCHLEPPI
      187 Attempting to connect now
      187 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.0.2, port 8002 ...
      187 LUA: "C:\FsWide\FSWide\Initial.LUA": not found
      297 Connection made okay!
      406 Connection closed by server!
      421 Attempting to connect now
      421 Connection made okay!
    68781 New Client Application: "VAS_Monitor" (Id=6484)
    94958 New Client Application: "FSC" (Id=3744)

140417 ****** End of session performance summary ******
   140417 Total time connected = 140 seconds
   140417 Reception maximum:  32 frames/sec, 1147 bytes/sec
   140417 Reception average whilst connected:  31 frames/sec, 804 bytes/sec
   140417 Transmission maximum:  6 frames/sec, 176 bytes/sec
   140417 Transmission average whilst connected:  0 frames/sec, 24 bytes/sec
   140417 Max receive buffer = 670, Max send depth = 1, Send frames lost = 0

140417 **************** Individual client application activity ****************
   140417 Client 6484 requests: 279 (Ave 1/sec), Data: 5620 bytes (40/sec), Average 20 bytes/Process
   140417 Client 3744 requests: 1454 (Ave 10/sec), Data: 65920 bytes (470/sec), Average 45 bytes/Process

140417 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 3, Alloc 6262 Freed 6262 Refused 0) *********

Date (dmy): 28/01/15, Time 01:03:30.343: Client name is SCHLEPPI
      187 Attempting to connect now
      187 LUA: "C:\FsWide\FSWide\Initial.LUA": not found
      203 Trying TCP/IP host "RABBIT" port 8002 ...
      203 ... Okay, IP Address = 192.168.178.27     <----WRONG IP !!! that´s the wlan IP which is blocked.
    21232 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out
    21232 Ready to try connection again
    22292 Attempting to connect now

48313 ****** End of session performance summary ******
    48313 Total time connected = 0 seconds
    48313 Reception maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    48313 Transmission maximum:  0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec
    48313 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

48313 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********