• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 n5sap

n5sap

• new Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

I am running the FSCommander with FSX installed on my notebook.
But, I wish to instal it on my other PC which DOES NOT have FSX installed and those are the requirements.

Is there anyway that I can install FS Commander without having FSX installed?

I just want to use it for to get a sense of where all the VORs and stuff are located and just print it out...

Or, if not, is there any programs which is similar to FSCommander which I can use without Flight Simulator X installed?

Thx.

#2 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the middle, UK.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

I had the demo of 8 installed on a second computer that didn't have FSX installed when I was evaluating it - that worked and I strongly suspect that 9 will as well (although I haven't tried it).

If you download the package from the FSC website, you can run it as a time limited demo - you might like to try that and register it if it does what you need.

Edited to add: I think I did have to either copy the scenery.cfg over from the other PC, or brose to it across the network, to scan for files. I may be wrong on that, though.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#3 n5sap

n5sap

• new Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Ian,

But can you please explain in detail on how to copy those Scenery files from and to where?
I will give that a try if you explain it.

Just please explain the process.

Regards

#4 Sascha Felix

Sascha Felix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationFar Away

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

what Ian wrote is correct. V. 9.0 as well as previous versions have this ability.

Note, however, that this works only if your computer (without FSX) and your computer (with FSX) are connected in a network, because FS Commander does need access to the files on your FSX computer.

How this is done in detail is being described in the manual (downloadable from www.fscommander.com). Check out the section on the "Database Manager" as well as the Appendix at the end which explains how you do things in the network.

If you run the program and want to be connected with FSX (moving map, etc) you also need Peter Dowson's WideFS.

If you have any further questions, you can also contact me via e-mail. My address is at the bottom of our website.

Regards

Sascha

#5 n5sap

n5sap

• new Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:27 AM

I do not want to be connected to any network. I just want to use FSCommander WITHOUT FSX at all.....
I just wish to use it as a flight planning tool to get an idea on where all the waypoints are.

#6 JSkorna

JSkorna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

Then the answer is probably no.
Thanks,
Jim

#7 JRBarrett

JRBarrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

Even though Sascha is the author of the software, perhaps he didn't fully clarify the point I think you're asking.

The long and short of it is that you very definitely CAN use FSC on a stand-alone computer, without being connected to the FSX machine. But - it does require that the two computers be connected when FSC is initially set up.

During the setup process, you need to make your main FSX and data directories visible via the network to the remote computer running FSC. The specific way you go about this varies depending on which OS is running on each computer - (i.e. XP, Vista or Win 7.) The FSC documentation goes into this in detail.

Once the drives are mapped, the FSC DBManager program needs to be run one time. This program will scan (over the network) all scenery on the FSX machine, (based on the contents of scenery.cfg), in order to build a database of airports, including runways, taxiways, aprons and parking spots, plus VORs NDBs terrain etc.

Once the database is created, it is stored on the remote FSC computer, so you no longer have to have the FSX computer connected in order to use FSC. You can look at airport layouts, view navaids and airways, build and save routes and flightplans for later export to FSX, even overlay realtime weather on the maps, (as long as you have an internet connection)- all with no connection to FSX.

Unless you later add new scenery, or new custom airports, you really don't ever have to run the DBmanager program again after that initial setup.

Not all database info in FSC comes from the initial scan. Other data, such as airways, RNAV waypoints, SIDS, STARS etc. comes from Navigraph,and can be updated monthly independent of FSX.

Obviously, some FSC features, such as moving map, autopilot control, overlay of AI or Vatsim traffic do require a live connection to FSX, but other than that, FSC works perfectly well as a standalone app, once the initial DB setup is completed.

Jim Barrett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket