The simFlight Network Forums

Profiles vs Aircraft Specific

I am fairly new at this but have a registered copy of FSUIPC with Ch Eclipse Yoke and the 6 Lever Throttle Q. I have successuflly set up 3 airplanes, C182, B737, and the Lear using short names so that the variations work the same. My questions are can't I just copy the settings for a say B737 and paste those into the ini and rename to the. B 767? I have also considered converting to profiles and starting over except the settings for both the Lear and 737 are essentially what I would use for a twin engine jet so couldn't I just use those in the profile setting? I would think I would first want to back up my working ini file and put it someplace safe then make the changes and see what happens. I guess if I screw up I can always put the working ini back, right? I know this sounds pretty basic but I have learned the hard way to be sure you know what you are doing before messing with software.

Yes, you can. That's exactly how I make most of my "aircraft specific" profiles.

It's also worth making the change as described in the manual to allow only part of the aircraft name to be used for the profile in the ini file - that means that you can call it ".737" and anything with "737" in the aircraft title line will be used. This is of particular use when you get one aircraft entitled "B-737" and another labelled "B737".

Another option is to add a section to the title of every aircraft that you want to use a certain configuration (say "ip2eng", "ip4eng", etc.) but that's very time consuming and I only ever tried it once.

Cheers!

Ian P.

Another option is to add a section to the title of every aircraft that you want to use a certain configuration (say "ip2eng", "ip4eng", etc.) but that's very time consuming and I only ever tried it once.

Far easier by far to simply change to Profiles instead. you can name those what you like. Aircraft are assigned by name (long or short) to profiles in sections in the INI, but you can convert automatically initially, and then rename the profiles afterwards, in the INI.

Regards

Pete