The simFlight Network Forums

Simconnect problem. Please help?

All,

I've been having fits getting my FSUIPC to install. It gives an error message saying that my simconnect is an incorrect version or not found (don't remember the exact wording).

I have tried everything I can think of to fix simconnect, including a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSX.

Info:

I'm running XP media. I have FSX Gold with Acceleration and all updates. I have also successfully run AICarriers2 without any problems (there are some files labeled "simconnect" in the AI Carriers folder)

What do I need to do to get this resolved?

I've been having fits getting my FSUIPC to install. It gives an error message saying that my simconnect is an incorrect version or not found (don't remember the exact wording).

The FSUIPC installer produces a Log file. All the information I need is there. You'll find it in the FSX Modules folder. Please cut and post it here.
I have tried everything I can think of to fix simconnect, including a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSX.

Often doing that turns out to be the worst thing you can do -- SimConnect doesn't uninstall properly, and when you try to reinstall it gets corrupted somehow. I have two PCs where I've managed to reproduce this -- one with winXP and the other with Win7, and I've not yet figured out any way of fixing the problems without reinstalling Windows itself from scratch.

Luckily, in my case, the latest (SP2) version of SimConnect did re-install correctly, so it hasn't prevented use of FSUIPC, only programs needing the SP1 or Base version of SimConnect.

I'm running XP media. I have FSX Gold with Acceleration and all updates. I have also successfully run AICarriers2 without any problems (there are some files labeled "simconnect" in the AI Carriers folder)

In general it is NOT a good idea for separate add-ons to try using their own copies of Simconnect. What are the exact filenames of those files?

Regards

Pete

The FSUIPC installer produces a Log file. All the information I need is there. You'll find it in the FSX Modules folder. Please cut and post it here.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have conducted a search on my hard drive and don't seem to have a folder called "modules" associated with FSX. This is the error message the installer pops up:

"Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.60a

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

... >>> OK! FOUND FSX! <<< ...

Looking in registry for ESP install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"AppPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Probe Manifest fails to match a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!"

Often doing that turns out to be the worst thing you can do -- SimConnect doesn't uninstall properly, and when you try to reinstall it gets corrupted somehow. I have two PCs where I've managed to reproduce this -- one with winXP and the other with Win7, and I've not yet figured out any way of fixing the problems without reinstalling Windows itself from scratch.

Luckily, in my case, the latest (SP2) version of SimConnect did re-install correctly, so it hasn't prevented use of FSUIPC, only programs needing the SP1 or Base version of SimConnect.

In general it is NOT a good idea for separate add-ons to try using their own copies of Simconnect. What are the exact filenames of those files?

It's C:\Program Files\AICarriers\ jsimconnect-0.7 It's an executable jar file (please bear with me when I state stuff you already know; I'm way over my head here)...

Edited by GoSlash27

Thanks for the quick reply. I have conducted a search on my hard drive and don't seem to have a folder called "modules" associated with FSX. This is the error message the installer pops up:

... Probe Manifest fails to match a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!"

Okay. I'm afraid that, on the face of it, it is pretty bad. It isn't that there's a broken SimConnect, more that FSUIPC isn't able to find ANY SimConnect, a major part of FSX! I've actually never seen such an occurrence before!

It's C:\Program Files\AICarriers\ jsimconnect-0.7 It's an executable jar file (please bear with me when I state stuff you already know; I'm way over my head here)...

I have no idea what a "jar" file is -- probably Java, so it's some sort of setup program or interface. The fact that it's named SimConnect is probably not relevant to your problem.

The latest version of FSUIPC4's installer no longer uses "Probe Manifests" and might tell us more. Please go to the Download Links subforum above, Updated Modules thread, and download the Installer for 4.638 you'll see there. Try that. If it doesn't work, please, again, show me the Log.

Regards

Pete

Sorry for the delay. I had some problems finding the forum. :unsure:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.638

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"AppPath"

... >>> OK! FOUND FSX! <<< ...

Looking in registry for ESP install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"AppPath"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft ESP\1.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"AppPath"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D

Parameter"SetupPath"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:

AppPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original), but this is not correctly installed!

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07), but this is not correctly installed!

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07), but this is not correctly installed!

... Failed to find a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!

Sorry for the delay. I had some problems finding the forum. :unsure:

Really? Aren't the subForums all shown at the top, before all the general posts like your own? They are here. I don't know if there are different display options.

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original), but this is not correctly installed!

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07), but this is not correctly installed!

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07), but this is not correctly installed!

... Failed to find a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!

Okay. This installer does find all of the SimConnect DLLs themselves, in the WinSxS folder, but they are not correctly linked in the Registry, so cannot be used.

I have a similar problem but only with builds 60905 and 61242. Luckily, as I said, the SP2/Acceleration version, 61259 did re-install okay.

I suspect you have the situation now worse than before you tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I notice you said you were on WinXP, which might make it easier to recover. If you delete the three SimConnect related folders in Windows' WinSxS folder THEN try repairing FSX (reinstall or repair, whichever options it gives you), you might get the SimConnect parts to remake the broken links.

First, though, a possibly easier course. As you have FSX Gold, then you should be able to install the FSX SDK. Inside the SDK folders, in the Core Utilities Kit folder, you will find the Simconnect SDK. Within that, in "lib" there's a SimConnect.msi foile. After deleting those folders in WinSxS, try running that msi file. That should reinstall the latest SimConnect. Do that and try the FSUIPC4 installer again.

If that works, then for other programs needing earlier versions of SimConnect, you could try going to the "LegacyInterfaces" folder and finding the RTM and SP1 SimConnect.msi files and running both of those.

Regards

Pete

I did not go through all those gyrations when reinstalling FSX. I just popped in the disks and let them load. Could that be related to the problem?

Reinstalling successive updates to FSX without running it between each can easily lead to problems, but I don't think these would be with SimConnect.

Overall the business of uninstalling and reinstalling FSX is a mess. Most all of the problems I hear about have this as one of the probably causes.

Pete