The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and ELITE THROTTLE QUADRANT

Hello,

i have a problem . With Microsoft FSX and Wilco Airbus Vol 1 (and ELITE THROTTLE with FSUIPC) i cant use throttle.

Only with Wilco Airbus Vol 1. With Airbus standard of MS Flight sim i have no problem.

There is a setup for fsuipc that it permits to use it with Wilco Airbus ?

Thank You

Fabio

i have a problem . With Microsoft FSX and Wilco Airbus Vol 1 (and ELITE THROTTLE with FSUIPC) i cant use throttle.

Only with Wilco Airbus Vol 1. With Airbus standard of MS Flight sim i have no problem.

There is a setup for fsuipc that it permits to use it with Wilco Airbus ?

You don't give enough information for me to help much, but usually for proper Airbus "fly-by-wire" implementations, where the aircraft code intercepts the throttle axes in order to determine thrust modes, you need to assign (whether in FSUIPC or FS) to the FS axis controls, not 'direct to FSUIPC calibration' which bypasses everything and sends the thrust data direct to FS.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete... the problem is that Elite Throttle have a driver that talk with FSX directly i think through your FSUIPC (because Elite driver install it). All works fine with standard aircraft of FSX but with Wilco Airbus Elite throttle doesnt work.

F.

You don't give enough information for me to help much, but usually for proper Airbus "fly-by-wire" implementations, where the aircraft code intercepts the throttle axes in order to determine thrust modes, you need to assign (whether in FSUIPC or FS) to the FS axis controls, not 'direct to FSUIPC calibration' which bypasses everything and sends the thrust data direct to FS.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete... the problem is that Elite Throttle have a driver that talk with FSX directly i think through your FSUIPC (because Elite driver install it). All works fine with standard aircraft of FSX but with Wilco Airbus Elite throttle doesnt work.

Ah, in that case I don't really think there's an answer -- unless you want to try writing a Lua plug-in which reads the values which the Elite driver is writing (presumably?) direct to the throttles, and forwarding those via the Axis controls.

If you want help with that, left me know. But have a look at the Lua documents first.

Regards

Pete

Pete if you can help me with LUA ... im very happy for that :-D .... i dont know LUA at all ...:-(

Thank you very much

Fabio

Ah, in that case I don't really think there's an answer -- unless you want to try writing a Lua plug-in which reads the values which the Elite driver is writing (presumably?) direct to the throttles, and forwarding those via the Axis controls.

If you want help with that, left me know. But have a look at the Lua documents first.

Regards

Pete

Pete if you can help me with LUA ... im very happy for that :-D .... i dont know LUA at all ...:-(

Thank you very much

I'll help, but I'm not going to do all the work. First you need to download the FSUIPC SDK and locate the throttle values, because probably your Elite driver is writing direct to those.

Then check the Lua library documentation (installed in your FSUIPC Documents subfolder, in the Modules folder of FS). In particular look up the "event.offset" function, in the EVENT library, because you will be using that to monitor the changes the Elite driver is writing. The only other Lua functions you are likely to need are the ipc.read and ipc.write functions -- there's a series of each for different value types -- and the ipc.control function, which you'll use to send the Axis control to FS. (FS controls are listed in the "List of FS controls" document, also in your FSUIPC Documents folder).

You'll also only want this Lua plugin running when you are using this specific aircraft, so you need to check the aircraft name, or title. For that again check the offsets list. (use Search). You'd read that string value and compare it -- using a string library function which I'll explain when we get that far.

Pete

Thank you for all ... i ll start to do tha... and after i ll ask you last thing about string compare...

Fabio

I'll help, but I'm not going to do all the work. First you need to download the FSUIPC SDK and locate the throttle values, because probably your Elite driver is writing direct to those.

Then check the Lua library documentation (installed in your FSUIPC Documents subfolder, in the Modules folder of FS). In particular look up the "event.offset" function, in the EVENT library, because you will be using that to monitor the changes the Elite driver is writing. The only other Lua functions you are likely to need are the ipc.read and ipc.write functions -- there's a series of each for different value types -- and the ipc.control function, which you'll use to send the Axis control to FS. (FS controls are listed in the "List of FS controls" document, also in your FSUIPC Documents folder).

You'll also only want this Lua plugin running when you are using this specific aircraft, so you need to check the aircraft name, or title. For that again check the offsets list. (use Search). You'd read that string value and compare it -- using a string library function which I'll explain when we get that far.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete;

I just did something like what you recommended here to get my PFC throttle quadrant to work with the Wilco Scarebus. In doing so I got to thinking that it might be a good feature to add to either the PFC driver or FSUIPC to allow a FSUIPC-calibrated value to be applied directly to the axis input. Anyone using a standard HID control device has the option of calibrating that in Windows or possibly in FS itself...with a PFC setup, the best I could do with FSUIPC was to send uncalibrated values direct to the axis, which makes it impossible to scale the inputs, establish dead zones or use the control curves elsewhere available. It wasn't hard to write a mini-driver to do that, but custom programmatic solutions are only available to a relatively small number of us with that skillset. PFC users in particular might appreciate being able to use their gear with the growing number of fly-by-wire implementations.

Cheers

Bob

I just did something like what you recommended here to get my PFC throttle quadrant to work with the Wilco Scarebus. In doing so I got to thinking that it might be a good feature to add to either the PFC driver or FSUIPC to allow a FSUIPC-calibrated value to be applied directly to the axis input.

You know you can disable the quadrant axes in the PFC driver and assign them in FSUIPC instead, don't you?

Anyone using a standard HID control device has the option of calibrating that in Windows or possibly in FS itself...with a PFC setup, the best I could do with FSUIPC was to send uncalibrated values direct to the axis, which makes it impossible to scale the inputs, establish dead zones or use the control curves elsewhere available. It wasn't hard to write a mini-driver to do that, but custom programmatic solutions are only available to a relatively small number of us with that skillset. PFC users in particular might appreciate being able to use their gear with the growing number of fly-by-wire implementations.

All that can be done by assigning in FSUIPC and disabling in the PFC driver.

Regards

Pete

You know you can disable the quadrant axes in the PFC driver and assign them in FSUIPC instead, don't you?

All that can be done by assigning in FSUIPC and disabling in the PFC driver.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete...yes, I did try that, but how does one get a calibrated value sent direct to an FS axis? All I could seem to manage to get to the axis was the raw PFC axis value rescaled to the FS axis range.

On a related note, is there a way of setting the reversers via an axis input? The regular throttle offsets, for example at 088C/089A, don't work with the Wilco bus, as his code watches for input events. When I send values from -16383 to 16383 to the axis, that corresponds to the 0-100% throttle range.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Pete...yes, I did try that, but how does one get a calibrated value sent direct to an FS axis? All I could seem to manage to get to the axis was the raw PFC axis value rescaled to the FS axis range.

The PFC axes feed through to FSUIPC as axes on joysticks 16-18. They are assignable in the Axis assignments exactly like any other, so you can assign them either direct to FSUIPC calibration, or to an FS control which can then be calibrated.

Are you using FS9 or FSX, BTW. You don't say which. I've not looked at PFC on FS9 for some time. But it does work fine in both.

On a related note, is there a way of setting the reversers via an axis input? The regular throttle offsets, for example at 088C/089A, don't work with the Wilco bus, as his code watches for input events. When I send values from -16383 to 16383 to the axis, that corresponds to the 0-100% throttle range.

If the Wilco implementation doesn't allow negative thrust values to engage reverse, then I wouldn't think there was any way via an axis except to assign to the "throttle decr" FS control (same as F2) as send it repeatedly over the number of zones you are allowed in one direction, and throttle incr (same as F2) in the other direction, with maybe a throttle cut at the idle point just to be sure. This can be done on the right-hand side of the axis assignments tab. It's not very appetising though.

Regards

Pete