The simFlight Network Forums

Strange FS behavior (throttles and controls)

Good day and Happy New Year!,

I recently acquired a new system (Alienware Aurora_R2, equipped with Intel i5 CPU 760@2.8Ghz, 6 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit).

I re-installed FS9, along with all FSUIPC (version 3.98), and PFC dll (version 2.307). I'm using the Cirrus Beech yoke, throttle quandrant (King Air throttles), and yoke assembly, connected to the PC via a serial to USB converter(with the appropriate drivers installed).

I had the same set-up installed on my previous PC with no issues.

However, I'm experiencing intermittent issues whereby the controls and quandrant would suddenly stop responding to my inputs, and move on their own. (the movements are erratic, and can be seen externally(control surfaces) and inside the cockpit when the throttle quadrant window is opened). As I said earlier, this only happens every so often, and, since it happened this morning, I decided to record the PFC and FSUIPC log. Additionally, I disconnected the throttle quandrant to see if it would make a difference, but, it still happened.(Note: Before this latest event, I reinstalled FSUIPC and PFC dlls to see if that would make a difference also). As the log files are pretty big, can you tell me which info from the logs would be helpful in assisting you with determining the cause.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J.C.

I recently acquired a new system (Alienware Aurora_R2, equipped with Intel i5 CPU 760@2.8Ghz, 6 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit).

I re-installed FS9, along with all FSUIPC (version 3.98), and PFC dll (version 2.307). I'm using the Cirrus Beech yoke, throttle quandrant (King Air throttles), and yoke assembly, connected to the PC via a serial to USB converter(with the appropriate drivers installed).

I had the same set-up installed on my previous PC with no issues.

With the same USB serial adapter? Was your previous PC running Win7 64 bit?

When I updated to a 64-bit operating system, first Vista the Win7, I couldn't find any 64-bit compatible serial USB adapter drivers that worked properly. Your symptoms:

However, I'm experiencing intermittent issues whereby the controls and quandrant would suddenly stop responding to my inputs, and move on their own. (the movements are erratic, and can be seen externally(control surfaces) and inside the cockpit when the throttle quadrant window is opened)

were typical. In fact, since I also use the full PFC centre console on the same connection, odd switches were switching and changing the radio frequencies, and manyualy controlling anything became precarious. These symptoms seemed to start after a while. powering everything off and back up again would reset everything to normal, but some time into a flight it would all happen again.

I am sure it was the USB serial drivers, just not made properly for the 64-bit operating system.

I changed to BrainBoxes serial ports on PCI cards (UC-235), see http://www.brainboxes.com/product/items/uc-235-lp-upci-1xrs232, and haven't had any problems since. I've put the same card in two other systems since then.

Regards

Pete

With the same USB serial adapter? Was your previous PC running Win7 64 bit?

When I updated to a 64-bit operating system, first Vista the Win7, I couldn't find any 64-bit compatible serial USB adapter drivers that worked properly. Your symptoms:

were typical. In fact, since I also use the full PFC centre console on the same connection, odd switches were switching and changing the radio frequencies, and manyualy controlling anything became precarious. These symptoms seemed to start after a while. powering everything off and back up again would reset everything to normal, but some time into a flight it would all happen again.

I am sure it was the USB serial drivers, just not made properly for the 64-bit operating system.

I changed to BrainBoxes serial ports on PCI cards (UC-235), see http://www.brainboxe...lp-upci-1xrs232, and haven't had any problems since. I've put the same card in two other systems since then.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

No, my previous system was Windows Xp professional (32 bit). Interesting, I'll try your suggestion (such a pity ,though, since I really love Windows 7 so far :))

Thanks,

J.C.

No, my previous system was Windows Xp professional (32 bit). Interesting, I'll try your suggestion (such a pity ,though, since I really love Windows 7 so far :))

It's worth sticking with Win7, and the 64-bit version does make the most of your new setup. I just think the 64-bit FTDI drivers (most of those USB adapters use FTDI chipsets I think) aren't, er, quite ready yet. Maybe you can find later ones on their website, or the website for the make of adapter you have. I haven't really tried one for nearly a year after finally changing all three of my 64-bit systems to use the BrainBoxes device.

I see on the BrainBoxes website they also do a USB adapter -- maybe that would be another, easier, solution, provided it uses their own chipset and drivers.

Regards

Pete

It's worth sticking with Win7, and the 64-bit version does make the most of your new setup. I just think the 64-bit FTDI drivers (most of those USB adapters use FTDI chipsets I think) aren't, er, quite ready yet. Maybe you can find later ones on their website, or the website for the make of adapter you have. I haven't really tried one for nearly a year after finally changing all three of my 64-bit systems to use the BrainBoxes device.

I see on the BrainBoxes website they also do a USB adapter -- maybe that would be another, easier, solution, provided it uses their own chipset and drivers.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter, I work for Brainboxes, thanks for recommending our products, if you would like to have a USB adapter (http://www.brainboxe...-1xrs232-1mbaud) for your own use and to test, please private message me and I will arrange that for you.