The simFlight Network Forums

SimConnect Failure

I've been trying to get FSUIPC4 and WideFS installed on a Dell XPS Gen4 running under Windows XP. The goal is to use it as a network client connected to an Alienware Aurora system running FSX under Windows 7 Home Premium. If successful I hope to run an add on called Plan-G on the client, which will display a moving map. This will allow using the monitors on the Aurora to display instrument panel and outside views while flying. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get SimConnect to work to do this. An alternative is to use FSUIPC on the Aurora and XP computers, which should work according to the Plan-G manual. However, although I have installed FSUIPC, it does not appear in the FSX menu. It does appear on the menu for the Aurora, however. The following is the FSUIPC4.log file

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.60a by Pete Dowson *********

Reading options from "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

User Name="James Kaye"

User Addr="jkaye_1@charter.net"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WideFS7 Key is provided

Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=255

594 System time = 14/01/2011 18:19:28

594 FLT UNC path = "\\FLIGHTSIM_1\mydocuments\Flight Simulator X Files\"

594 FS UNC path = "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1672 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

1797 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

7500 Exception 5 "VERSION_MISMATCH", Ref 1, Version 0.61242: Open: SimConnect Version incorrect!

7500 Trying another version of SimConnect ...

7610 Trying to connect to SimConnect SP1 May07 ...

7610 Now running with SimConnect SP1 May07

7719 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

7719 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...

7719 Trying to connect to SimConnect Original ...

7719 Now running with SimConnect Original

7829 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

7829 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...

256391 System time = 14/01/2011 18:23:44

256391 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 2 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

How can I resolve this problem? I recently replaced the hard drive on the client Windows XP machine and reinstalled FSX. The log indicates there may be three versions of SimConnect, but apparently none of them have the correct version number.

Jim Kaye

Reading options from "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

7500 Exception 5 "VERSION_MISMATCH", Ref 1, Version 0.61242: Open: SimConnect Version incorrect!

7500 Trying another version of SimConnect ...

7610 Trying to connect to SimConnect SP1 May07 ...

7610 Now running with SimConnect SP1 May07

7719 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

7719 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...

7719 Trying to connect to SimConnect Original ...

7719 Now running with SimConnect Original

7829 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

7829 ... Now trying to connect to another version of SimConnect ...

How can I resolve this problem? I recently replaced the hard drive on the client Windows XP machine and reinstalled FSX. The log indicates there may be three versions of SimConnect, but apparently none of them have the correct version number.

Re-installing FSX seems to be able to create SimConnect problems 90% of the time.

In this case, although it appears as if you've installed FSX SP2 or Acceleration, that version of SimConnect is not correctly installed. The version number returned by FS is 61242, which is the SP1 version, so if I were you I'd try re-installing SP2 or Acceleration, or possibly just running the SP2 "Simconnect.msi" which you will find in the FSX SDK if you have it installed and updated.

FSUIPC4 does try desperately to recover by then trying to link to the older versions, but when things are screwed up like this those attempts too always seem to fail with that error "80004005" which is an "access denied" error. I think this is because one part of SimConnect can't talk to the other.

You could also try updating to the current interim version of FSUIPC4, 4.651, which you can obtain from the Download Links subforum above. I changed the method of linking to SimConnect to make it a little more resilient, though it still can't cope with a total SimConnect mess.

Regards

Pete

I was able to resolve this problem by first uninstalling FSX SP2, then uninstalling SP1, then reinstalling SP1 and last, reinstalling SP2. Now the FSUIPC options come up in the menu list when running FSX on the networked client PC. I did not have to reinstall FSX.

I would now like to be able to run FSX on an Alienware Aurora system and run Plan-G on the networked Windows XP computer. According to the Plan-G manual, I need to install WideServer.ini on the Aurora and WideClient.ini on the networked PC, and edit the configuration files to transfer the necessary information to the networked XP computer. I have WideFS on both computers, just need correctly edit the configuration files.

Thanks very much for your help. FSUIPC is a great program. I use it all the time on the Aurora, especially the AutoSave feature, since sometimes FSX freezes and then goes to the FSX startup screen. With Autosave I can complete my flight from within 5 minutes of when this happens.

Jim Kaye

Re-installing FSX seems to be able to create SimConnect problems 90% of the time.

In this case, although it appears as if you've installed FSX SP2 or Acceleration, that version of SimConnect is not correctly installed. The version number returned by FS is 61242, which is the SP1 version, so if I were you I'd try re-installing SP2 or Acceleration, or possibly just running the SP2 "Simconnect.msi" which you will find in the FSX SDK if you have it installed and updated.

FSUIPC4 does try desperately to recover by then trying to link to the older versions, but when things are screwed up like this those attempts too always seem to fail with that error "80004005" which is an "access denied" error. I think this is because one part of SimConnect can't talk to the other.

You could also try updating to the current interim version of FSUIPC4, 4.651, which you can obtain from the Download Links subforum above. I changed the method of linking to SimConnect to make it a little more resilient, though it still can't cope with a total SimConnect mess.

Regards

Pete

I would now like to be able to run FSX on an Alienware Aurora system and run Plan-G on the networked Windows XP computer. According to the Plan-G manual, I need to install WideServer.ini on the Aurora and WideClient.ini on the networked PC, and edit the configuration files to transfer the necessary information to the networked XP computer. I have WideFS on both computers, just need correctly edit the configuration files.

There is no WideServer.INI file for FSX. WideServer is part of FSUIPC4. Do NOT put any WideServer files into the FSX Modules folder!

You do not need a WideClient.INI on the Client, only WideClient.EXE, which you run. It will make its own INI file in any case.

Note that Vista/Win7 and WinXP use different default "workgroup" names. You should make them match. I always change the name to "Petes" on all my PCs in any case. Provided both PCs are in the same workgroup they should link up fine, given either no firewalls or exceptions made for Wideclient and FSX.EXE.

Regards

Pete

Success!!!:D :D :D. Thanks to your help, today I was able to successfully run Plan-G on my networked PC running under Windows XP, while running FSX under the much faster Alienware Aurora. I don't know why Plan-G would not connect to the network like it is supposed to, but FSUIPC works! This is great, because Plan-G allows me to see all of my Ultimate Traffic 2 AI, as well as my flightplan. I can change the map position or magnification without pausing the in-progress flight.

Jim Kaye

There is no WideServer.INI file for FSX. WideServer is part of FSUIPC4. Do NOT put any WideServer files into the FSX Modules folder!

You do not need a WideClient.INI on the Client, only WideClient.EXE, which you run. It will make its own INI file in any case.

Note that Vista/Win7 and WinXP use different default "workgroup" names. You should make them match. I always change the name to "Petes" on all my PCs in any case. Provided both PCs are in the same workgroup they should link up fine, given either no firewalls or exceptions made for Wideclient and FSX.EXE.

Regards

Pete