#1 AAREDSOX327

AAREDSOX327

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

Is it possible to fly a successful SID/STAR while agreeing with hard altitude requirements? Or even in some STARS (Motif 3 at KMDW for example) will require you to be at a certain altitude before reaching the first waypoint of the STAR. Should I fly the soft altitude requirements or use atc altitudes which usually don't match up with requirements?

Thanks for the feedback
--BL--
Posted Image
FSX Deluxe SP2 HP Compaq dc7700 Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 3.50GB of RAM
GO RED SOX!!

#2 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,283 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the middle, UK.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

If you're using FS internal ATC, It doesn't do Vertical Navigation at all. The altitude clearances you are given are just calculated by taking the cruise speed of your aircraft, a climb/descent rate of +/-1800fpm and seeing how far you need to start descending before hitting the next waypoint. That's when you'll be given the altitude change.

It does follow STAR paths, but only horizontal, not vertically, in my experience. If you deviate from ATC's instructions, they'll just cancel IFR on you eventually, so unfortunately you're probably best sticking with what they tell you, even if it isn't even close to correct procedure for an airport.

Or use VATSIM/IVAO. ;)

Cheers,

Ian P.
Posted Image

#3 abarter

abarter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Basically what I do is heed the altitude requests and acknowledge, but ignore, the heading requests and follow the STAR or SID. You'll get to a point where you will need to ignore the altitude requests on final but eventually you will be cleared to contact the tower.

#4 Jumbolino

Jumbolino

• new Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between EDKA and EHBK

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Maybe you should have an eye on 'Proflight Emulator Deluxe' or - my personal favorite - 'Radar Contact'.

#5 ronzo155

ronzo155

• new Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Or; use Vox ATC. It replaces the default ATC.

So, not only will you be able to fly SIDS and STARS, but you communicate with ATC using voice recognition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket