The simFlight Network Forums

FSX controller settings reset to default

Mr. Dowson,

I am at a point I don't know what to do to alleviate what's been going on. I don't think this has to do with your software, but I am lost for sources to get answers. I'm hoping you can help.

Hardware

Logitech G940 Flight system

Symptoms

FSX controller settings reset to default no matter what I try.

After installing FSUIPC, I start FSX and go into the control settings. I deleted all the axis and button assignments for the joystick, pedals and throttle. I chose an aircraft to fly, opened FSUIPC and ran through the buttons, axis and other settings through that. All works great as planned. After a flight I shut down FSX like any other time previously. Later when I load FSX, all the default controller & button settings have been reset? Once again, I go through and delete all of them. FSUIPC still works as configured. This symptom happens every time and I don't know how to resolve it. I've searched forums, Google, asked others that have the same flight sticks, and no one has had this trouble that can help. I'm hoping you may be able to.

If any other information is needed, please ask

OleBoy

FSX controller settings reset to default no matter what I try.

After installing FSUIPC, I start FSX and go into the control settings. I deleted all the axis and button assignments for the joystick, pedals and throttle. I chose an aircraft to fly, opened FSUIPC and ran through the buttons, axis and other settings through that. All works great as planned. After a flight I shut down FSX like any other time previously. Later when I load FSX, all the default controller & button settings have been reset?

FSX does that if it finds spare unassigned axes and buttons.You just have to disable controllers instead.

Pete

I don't understand. The only controllers FSX displays are the three from my G940 flight system. And the keyboard bindings.

But isn't it the G940 you want to disable in FSX? What's the problem? Disable the controllers, obviously not the keyboard! The latter won't interfere in any case.

You can't pick and choose which controllers to disable -- it's all or none. In Settings - Controls, just uncheck "Enable controllers" on the main "Calibration" tab.

Pete

Alright, now I'm following your meaning. Hmm, I never tried disabling the controllers like that. They always worked fine prior to this instance. Will ALL FSX commands still be available through FSUIPC? The reason I inquire, is there are several buttons that I had programmed through FSX via the flight sticks. If your suggestion does all buttons, I'm all for it!

I will use (in the manual) pages 57-61 to get all the basics, and then go (learn) from there. The only one that's confusing at this point, is the hat/pan on the joystick itself. My goal is a smooth pan rate while in both interior and exterior views.

Alright, now I'm following your meaning. Hmm, I never tried disabling the controllers like that. They always worked fine prior to this instance. Will ALL FSX commands still be available through FSUIPC? The reason I inquire, is there are several buttons that I had programmed through FSX via the flight sticks.

All FS controls and a lot more are available through FSUIPC assignments, but the names are not always obvious. they are the intrernal FS names extracted from the CONTROLS>DLL and used in the assignments XML file in your AppData folder. If you aren't sure of a name to assign to, enable event logging in FSUIPC then use the control via keyboard or mouse, then check the FSUIPC log.

I will use (in the manual) pages 57-61 to get all the basics, and then go (learn) from there. The only one that's confusing at this point, is the hat/pan on the joystick itself. My goal is a smooth pan rate while in both interior and exterior views.

The FSUIPC implementation of PAN VIEW, if you assign the hat as an axis in the axis assignments, is reasonable. It may not be quite as smooth. Try it first and see.

Regards

Pete

Well Pete, (laughing because I'm frustrated) all was well for a short period of time. All controllers were disabled (including the mouse) and settings removed for everything inside FSX. FSUIPC was doing the intended job most excellently. Then I had to go cook dinner. I shut down FSX, did my duties and came back. When I started FSX, all the default settings had returned. I'm lost for thought and shutting down for the evening. I had enough frustration for the day.

I'll check back later. Maybe you've got an idea or two.

Well Pete, (laughing because I'm frustrated) all was well for a short period of time. All controllers were disabled (including the mouse) and settings removed for everything inside FSX. FSUIPC was doing the intended job most excellently. Then I had to go cook dinner. I shut down FSX, did my duties and came back. When I started FSX, all the default settings had returned.

I've never heard of FSX losing the setting for whether controllers are used or not. I think your FSX did not close properly, but crashed at the end instead. There are several add-ons which can cause that. If it happens then any changes you make, anywhere in the FSX settings, aren't saved into the FSX.CFG file (unlike FSUIPC, FSX only saves the settings when it closes).

Two things you can try. Either load FSX, go direct to Settings - Controls and untick the Controllers selection, and then immediately close FSX. Hopefully nothing will have happened by then to cause it to crash instead of save an updated CFG file. Or simply find the FSX.CFG file yourself (in your user AppData\Microsoft\\FSX folder) and change the option directly. It's in a section called [CONTROLS]. change JOYSTICKS=1 to JOYSTICKS=0.

Pete

• 2 years later...