hi1pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationJo'Burg

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Sorry for my ignorance about P3D...
Is it a seperate Flightsim to FSX? or is like and Addon and i know that it dosent cover the whole world but if im in the US and i go somewhere else that isnt covered by P3D Will i see Normal FSX or if its a compleatly different program will it not let me go there?

#2 Andydigital

Andydigital

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationMacclesfield

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Google "Prepar3d"

supporter1.jpg
Cheers,
Andy.

#3 hi1pie

hi1pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationJo'Burg

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

That would be the obvious thing to do :huh: - and i have done that... my question was more specific :???:

#4 Andydigital

Andydigital

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationMacclesfield

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

You can't have read anything at all then if you can't work out the answer to those simple questions. Burkhard isn't here to answer everyone's questions about mundane things that can be answered by a quick Google search, this is a support forum for MyTraffic, not Wolfram Alpha.

supporter1.jpg
Cheers,
Andy.

#5 hi1pie

hi1pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationJo'Burg

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

I didnt ask for an argument, i asked about P3D so if you cant be helpful, then please dont wast yours or my time replying

#6 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the middle, UK.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's still not a valid question for this forum area... I'm just looking for somewhere more appropriate to put it!

However, it took me about two seconds to get this:

"About Prepar3D®
Training meets reality with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation software. Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning.

Prepar3D (pronounced “prepared”) is a visual simulation platform that allows users to create training scenarios across aviation, maritime and ground domains. Users can train anywhere in the virtual world, from under water to sub orbital space.

Prepar3D furthers the development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D."

That's kind of self explanatory?

ESP was Microsoft's "commercial" version of FSX. It basically was FSX, but with more of the code opened up for changes. They sold that to Lockheed-Martin, who have developed it (much) further into Prepar3D. As the last line says, most things that work in FSX also work in P3D. Think of P3D as being "FSX SP3" if it helps, but in reality, it is a lot more than that... and has a submarine I can't drive for the life of me.

The good news is that they do, at least, tell you how to say it, there... Preparthreed is a bit of a mouthful. ;)

Edit: I've moved this to the "Other" forum for the moment, as it is not MTX related.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#7 hi1pie

hi1pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationJo'Burg

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

yes, ive been there, but it says it covers 45 airports, are these all in the US or are they major airports scattered around the world? and in P3D is it possibe to go to an airport that isnt Supported by P3D in which case it will just go to Default FSX?

#8 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

I just flew from Sleap (EGCV) to Welshpool (EGCW)...

All the airports from ESP (the same ones as FSX) are present in the "go to airport" list. I can but presume that the "45 airports" are detailed ones?

However let's get one thing straight here: Prepar3D is not FSX. It is itself. Not an add-on, nothing at all to do with FSX other than as a parallel development path by ACES under the Microsoft banner which became P3D's progenitor. I don't know where you came up with this suggestion that P3D may have been an "addon for FSX" but forget it. The two are entirely seperate simulators.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#9 hi1pie

hi1pie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationJo'Burg

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yes, I know its a Seperate Simulator i was just making sure because i didnt know much about it.

I just flew from Sleap (EGCV) to Welshpool (EGCW)...

All the airports from ESP (the same ones as FSX) are present in the "go to airport" list. I can but presume that the "45 airports" are detailed ones?

Thats all i wanted to know
Thank You

#10 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Just for the record, by the way, everything I have copied from FSX into P3D has worked... There was an interesting graphical bug on the A2A Spitfire, which I believe might have been caused by different versions of Simconnect (it was "boiling coolant" even though it was neither overheating, nor was the coolant level dropping) but other than that, everything has copied in without incident, whether scenery or aircraft.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#11 Burkhard

Burkhard

Product Support

• Moderators
  • 14,321 posts
  • LocationIn front of my computer

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Prepare 3D is FSX Service Pack 3 fullstop. Just the price is not heavily subsidized like FSX is.

#12 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm afraid I have to disagree, Burkhard. P3D has moved a long way away from FSX via first ESP and then the changes implemented by Lockheed Martin.

Although it shares a common base platform, it is not the same simulator. The most visible change to users is the water transparency and ability to travel underwater, but I'm sure you've read more of the technical side than I have and even I can see that there are massive changes in the system that Microsoft would never have done, even had ACES not been closed.

It is a different sim. One which has retained the majority of backwards compatibility with FSX although I'm also sure that you are aware ESP was created in parallel with and not as a descendant from, the consumer product.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#13 macca22au

macca22au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm now permanently on P3D, the advances are too many for me to list, but smoother all round with all the same add-ons to use. Takes more fiddling, needs a good migrator tool - I use the Estonian one - and SimLauncher to give it a front-end GUI. LM have mentioned on Facebook that v1.5 is on the way, and I look forward to that step in constant improvement.

Many scenery makers have dedicated P3D installers, like Orbx and Aerosoft, and there is a large number of aircraft with dual installers, but most can be migrated over rrom FSX.

On many forums there is fiery, sometimes vicious, and spiteful debate over the meaning of the EULAs on both the base P3D product, and attached to add-ons. Make your own decision and make up your own mind.
macca22au

#14 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

The author of the Estonian Migration Tool left simFlight just before he was forcibly removed a while ago, macca - the reason being that he was using this forum to actively encourage and provide information on how to bypass protection on products to allow them to be used in P3D when the license specifically stated that they must not be and code was put in to enforce that license.

Contrary to some peoples' opinion, these licenses exist for a valid reason, not just to spite users or to try and grab money off you(*). There are very good reasons for enforcing them and, while it's hardly going to be the end of the world if you use P3D for entertainment and they really don't seem interested in enforcing their licenses anyway, people might like to think a lot more carefully about the results of their actions before they broadcast how to actively broadcast how to crack protection, for example.

( * - it does have to be said that in some 3rd party developers' case, different FSX and P3D versions exist purely because they can make more money by selling the same thing twice with slightly altered paths in the installer!)

Ian P.
Posted Image

#15 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Ian, one other thing about commercial (payware) products usage in sims other than FSX is that often the licenses the companies have with IP owners are specifically limited for use in FSX.

Getting permission to port their product to another platform such as Prepar3D or X-Plane may well require renegotiation of their license(s) as well as a possible increase in license costs...

...which quite naturally may well result in those additional costs being passed on to the consumers. :???:
Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft
Intel® Core™ i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit
NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...
Posted Image

#16 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

That's a big part of my previous comment, Bill. We already know that a number of Lockheed-Martin's real world competitors have strong opinions about the use of their trademarks in P3D - that strong opinion tends to be "if you allow your product to be installed to Prepar3D, we will pull your license to use our IP".

I guess the question is whether people want to continue to see licensed products from other major manufacturers than L-M in any MSFS-based product or not.

Cheers,

Ian P.
Posted Image

#17 macca22au

macca22au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ian P:

You come across as stern as your image.  

However, the sensible thing is for all users to decide for themselves whether the P3d EULA matches their use, and the same for the EULAs on any add-ons. That is the mature way, then it is between the user, LM, and third party publishers if it ever came to that!

Most everybody in these and other forums pay for their computer ware, remember Torrents are readily available via privacy and EULAs mean nothing to them.  So let the honest establish their own position on a topic like this.

In a free society external censorship sits very uneasily.

macca22au

#18 macca22au

macca22au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

sorry ..  via piracy.   And to second guess commercial debates between LM and other publishers is way beyond our realm of control.

macca22au

#19 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

The law is neither "mature" nor "immature" though, it's simply "the law". You sign a legally binding agreement by installing and using software, whether it is Windows, P3D, an FS add-on or anything else. Those terms are drawn up for a reason. if you disagree with them is irrelevant - you have the right to use the software within the terms of the license, or not to use the software. If you breach that by illegally downloading software, you're in breach of the law in most places as well as being in breach of the license you accepted - usually without reading it in most cases.

That's the legal situation. It's not "censorship", so please don't try and twist it into something it isn't. It's a license agreement that you sign and accept by installing and using the software. End of story.

The reality is that it is highly unlikely that anyone will hunt you down, as a user, for breaching licenses on your personal computer. If, however, a major multinational competitor of Lockheed Martin, who has expressed extreme dislike of people using their legally branded and licensed products in the L-M sim sees a lot of people using their licensed product in P3D, they will pull the licenses from people able to sell those products and you lose them in the future. We're not second guessing, action has already started to implement this in the form of letters from lawyers telling developers to enforce their EULAs or further action will be taken up to and including revocation of existing licenses.

So. Without specifically naming the companies involved (which I do know), but listing a whole horde, are you saying that your desire to use a company's product in P3D outweighs your desire to see licensed products from, say, Airbus, Boeing, Raytheon, Textron... potentially even Lockheed-Martin, as they have excluded certain of their own aircraft from being installed to P3D by license agreement?

Is that not a rather short-sighted attitude, just because one person wants to do something, everyone else should suffer the consequences of those individuals' actions?

Ian P.

(P.S. The  dress blues pic is over 20 years old now... I just never get around to changing it. I'm *far* grumpier now than I was then! ;))

Posted Image

#20 peterhayes

peterhayes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

I find that these pontifications about legality of this and that, are totally ironic!  LOL

Especially,  when I doubt that less than 20% of the posters here actually qualify LEGALLY under Lockheed's licencing terms for P3D. 

Isn't this a case of the kettle calling the pot black? 

Or is everyone a student or a developer?

Perhaps the end justifies the means.

Regards

pH

P Hayes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket