The simFlight Network Forums
Karamich

How to make a specific list of airlines appear at a specific airport

Hi

Sorry I ask too many questions but I am in the process of experimenting with MTX tools...

I selected the schedule 2011 and although every airport is very well populated with traffic, I noticed many airlines visiting airports that do not visit in real life thus creating an overloaded ambiance.

So I was thinking to have the true airlines that visit the apropriate destinations only...

I noticed in the editor we can forbid an airline from coming to a specific airport. However, we first we need to know in MTX 2011 schedule, what airlines visit the airport in order to sort them out. So I thought using the schedule board and started to click Forbidden for every airline that I could not find in the real world list... But the issue is that it is a long schedule list and every time I click Forbidden, the list jumps back to the first entry and I loose where I was in that list...

Is there an easier way to do that?

Because let's say we have a real world list of airlines that visit a specific airport, is there an easier way to simply enter that list instead of the one in the schedule and instead of searching for each airline and forbid it ?

Also once we do that, do we have to recompile or something? I was lost in the rescheduling dialog with many checkboxes / options

Thanks for the help

Michel

If in real life only those few airlines listed by the airports or some web sites would fly into airports, there would be no spotters. From my experience as a spotter I can tell you that every day you will see flights the whole community would swear they never happen, so to my personal experience MyTraffic hits the reality out there in real world much more than the online sites which only know of a handful of airlines, only show flight numbers which have been submitted by them many months ago etc. So cutting down to what Flightaware or similar sites show is a real loss of reality - the airport I use most of the times these sites show less than 10% of the airliners which fly there, OK one airline operating only about 250 B737-800 currently is dominant there and missing in those data completely. If you want to reduce the number of potential visitors to those verified there reduce the traffic density to about 30%, then there are practically no and at 25% definitively no visitors left that have not been observed on the last two days of the data collections. Theremay be deviations, technical landings, and many wet charters, but these exist in real life...

So going to the schedules to eliminate flights makes no sense, if you want to add more this is good for, but removal not. But the tools to do so are easiy: Go to the departures dialog and press "print" - now you get a text file containing all flights, which you can easily check to identify if really there is an excessive number of flights at an airport that you can confirm by own observation not to happen - you can then mark them as forbidden and run a new "Create schedules, files and traffic" once this is done - keeping in mind that real life has much more varity than airport scheduled departure sites or Flightware and dependent sources.

Hi Burkhard,

I agree with you certainly but for a specific airport I know, like OLBA, Beirut Intl, thanks to your MTX its revenues jumped radicaly up and they could think about expanding the airport to accomodate the whole international flights coming in... Of course in FSX :) I love your traffic there, but as I know the airport well, I know that it is always almost empty.

So I do not want to kill the traffic at this airport but I want to disable for example flights by U.S airlines to OLBA that are available in MTX but not in real life because they do not fly there at all in real life due to political reasons. This is why I need to disable the way off schedules and airlines that go there in MTX

And thanks for mentioning the tips that make the adjusments faster !

Cheers

I just Printed the schedule and it opens in Notepad and i am looking at the columns with numbers and I am trying to guess what column or number to change to mark an airline as Forbidden?

Example line from notepad schedule (what to change to mark forbidde?):

0047 | 0120476 | Monarch A321 Dest: EGBB Birmingham daily 240

Thanks again

Michel

My recomendation for this case is the following:

Don't waste time with scheduling. Looking at the departure schedule, approximately half the flights have low numbers there, the rest long (internal) flight numbers - the 01xxxxx comes from autoscheduling, the 02xxxxx from the preferred scheduling. So it looks like your wish is that you just want the flight tracking based schedules.

You can achieve this by loading the default data base, calling "Create all files and traffic", setting the airliners percentage number from 25 to 90, and pressing OK. Now all autogenerated airliners will be above 90 traffic density, set you slider in FSX to 85% and you are where you want to be.

Of course you could set Monarch to be a forbidden airline at OLBA - but the next creation of schedules would of course generate another airline to fly there. So another alternative is to do the following:

For the moment, in a copy of the database delete all autogenerated, preferred and random flights. Now look under airports - edit airports to OLBA. You will see

Capacity: 420 Usage 221. ( Dont mind if your numbers are slightly different ). This tells you that in oder to fill the airport until it needs expansion about 200 flights need to be added by autogeneration etc.

Now change the scalar to 0.3, close the airport dialogs, then open them again, and you will see the capacity will be down to 180. So, if you run a create schedules, files and traffic now, it knows you want OLBA to be quiet, and it will not add any autogeneration - there you are.

I'm making AI traffic now since 10 years, and besides the Concorde into VHHX and the Beluga between Toulouse and Hamburg never touched any individual schedule - with the number of schedules in MyTraffic getting near to one million it makes absolutely no sense to think about individual schedules, all it needs is a very general approach to traffic.

Thanks again Burkhard, I will see what I can do following your tutorial

I agree the more I know about MTX the more I discover that it is different from UT that I used to use back in FS2004.

So I will see what I can do with the tips you mentioned as I prefer to have airports that reflect more or less the real world sort of ambiance and avoid to have strange airlines in strange airports.

Cheers!

One of my best spotter episodes was 20? years ago when I was a day in Glasgow by fortune, went to the airport, searched a nice place at the fence, a little local boy standing there and asked me "You also wait for the Concorde?" and indeed he was well informed... she came in charted for some sight seeing tour over the sea - which had to be skipped due to weather getting really nasty. but I saw her.

Back in the bad old days when I spent my very brief period in uniform (see avatar!), I did my basic training at a place called Pirbright in Surrey, a place that is no longer The Guards Depot.

Twice a day, all activity on the drill square ceased, because the commands could no longer be heard above the roar of four Rolls Royce Olympus engines on full reheat, climbing out towards New York.

On one particular day, we were waiting for a Guards' platoon to finish training so we could take the square, when we heard the command that summed up the experience for everyone...

"PLATOON! FOR THE CONCORDE! PLATOOOOON HALT!"

Fantastic aircraft, but fricken' noisy! :mrgreen:

Ian P.

Hi Burkhard

I followed your tips and succeeded (making a copy of dbase, removing what you mentioned, chanding scalar of OLBA and recompiling)

Now I think this will influence the world wide airports schedules by disabling the random and preffered and autogenerated? I hope so because now I have a better feel of the traffic :)

Also if I have a custom scenery for OLBA do I also change the scalar in the ADF of that custom scenery to 0.3?

Thanks

My recomendation for this case is the following:

Don't waste time with scheduling. Looking at the departure schedule, approximately half the flights have low numbers there, the rest long (internal) flight numbers - the 01xxxxx comes from autoscheduling, the 02xxxxx from the preferred scheduling. So it looks like your wish is that you just want the flight tracking based schedules.

You can achieve this by loading the default data base, calling "Create all files and traffic", setting the airliners percentage number from 25 to 90, and pressing OK. Now all autogenerated airliners will be above 90 traffic density, set you slider in FSX to 85% and you are where you want to be.

Of course you could set Monarch to be a forbidden airline at OLBA - but the next creation of schedules would of course generate another airline to fly there. So another alternative is to do the following:

For the moment, in a copy of the database delete all autogenerated, preferred and random flights. Now look under airports - edit airports to OLBA. You will see

Capacity: 420 Usage 221. ( Dont mind if your numbers are slightly different ). This tells you that in oder to fill the airport until it needs expansion about 200 flights need to be added by autogeneration etc.

Now change the scalar to 0.3, close the airport dialogs, then open them again, and you will see the capacity will be down to 180. So, if you run a create schedules, files and traffic now, it knows you want OLBA to be quiet, and it will not add any autogeneration - there you are.

I'm making AI traffic now since 10 years, and besides the Concorde into VHHX and the Beluga between Toulouse and Hamburg never touched any individual schedule - with the number of schedules in MyTraffic getting near to one million it makes absolutely no sense to think about individual schedules, all it needs is a very general approach to traffic.

If you change nothing, the result of a new create schedules, files and traffic will be more or less identical to what gets delivered.

If you only change the capacity of OLBA, you will not see much difference elsewhere, the Monarch A321 will go somewhere else from Birmingham, so while in detail the autoscheduling will be different globally the picture will remain the same everywhere but in Beirut.

Hi Burkhard

I've been wondering this same thing for a few days and i tried what you told Karamich to do but with a different airport, it reduced a good amount of flights but for some reason it "messed up" the afcad file of the airport because now the planes are parking all weird and not as they did before (btw im using a custom airport), do you know why this might be happening? Also, is there a way to just delete all flights of an specific airport?

Thanks

Look where your custom airport is in your scenery library with relation to MyTraffic's entry.

Your custom airport needs to be higher priority (i.e. lower number).

Ian P.

Also, is there a way to just delete all flights of an specific airport?

Thanks

There is no official way to do so, since every flight plan has at least two airports you cannot delete for one only.

There is a dirty trick to do so. After exprorting as usual, edit MyTraffic\Myairports.dat, search for the airport you want, delete all the parkings, svae the airport, and run trafficbat.bat again - and Trafficdatabasebuilder will reject all flights into that airport...

Hi guys, thank you both for your quick response.

Burkhard I tried what you said and it really worked, no traffic there. :D

But at the time I want to add my own schedules (therefore I would need to restore the parking at my airport) wouldnt that make that my schedules go combined with the default ones in MyTraffic? The only idea that came to me was to make a copy of the database and erase all the schedules there and create my own ones in the copy but I don't think that running two databases at the same time its even possible... Any ideas?

Thanks

When experimenting and programming you should have many databases - FSX will display what you created last.

But now I do not understand what you want - deleting schedules isn't reasonable. So maybe define exactly what you want to achieve, best in a new topic with a descriptive title, and I can say you how to do it. They way will depend on a lot of details, as example if the airport is filled as it comes with real life schedules, and you want to remove those, or by automatic scheduling, ...