The simFlight Network Forums

Zoom with FSUIPC

Hi,

I got the registered version of FSUIPC and would like to assign an axis of my Satek X52 Pro with a zoom command in FSX. Basically, my axis is a slide horizontal cursor on the throttle. I would like to assign the default zoom (x1) when the cursor is in the right extremity, and a value of my choice when the cursor is in the other extremity, with a linear progression between the 2 values.

Is it possible? Could you help me?

Thank you very much (sorry for my english).

Nico

sanstitrepj.jpg

I got the registered version of FSUIPC and would like to assign an axis of my Satek X52 Pro with a zoom command in FSX. Basically, my axis is a slide horizontal cursor on the throttle. I would like to assign the default zoom (x1) when the cursor is in the right extremity, and a value of my choice when the cursor is in the other extremity, with a linear progression between the 2 values.

I suppose you could do that by assigning to View zoom set and using the axis scaling option in the INI assignment line. You'd need to work the latter out based on the range of inputs from the Axis, whch you will see in the assignments tab. For example, with an axis range of -16384 to +16383 (i.e. a "perfect" input range), I find good Zoom values are obtained by scaling of *0.01 (i.e divide by 100) and +164 (to make the minimum positive). On the axis assignment line in the FSUIPC INI file this looks like:

3=2Z,256,F,65701,0,0,0,*0.01,+163

Your axis might have a different range, and you might want the top Zoom value to be smaller or larger, so obviously you need to adjust the multiplier and adder accordingly.

Regards

Pete

• 2 months later...

Nico, Peter...thanks for all the information. I'm learning FSUIPC ( version 4.827 ) slowly but surely, and I too wanted to assign zoom view to the thumb slider on the Saitek X52 Pro throttle. Thanks to this thread, I have been able to.

:)

The entry in my fsuipc.ini file is exactly the same as Nico's... 6=0S,256,F,65701,0,0,0,*0.01,+163

Can I edit this to reverse the axis...so I zoom IN when I move the thumb slider to the right, instead of zoom OUT ? Sorry if its a stupid question.

Regards

Paul

Can I edit this to reverse the axis...so I zoom IN when I move the thumb slider to the right, instead of zoom OUT ? Sorry if its a stupid question.

As the manual states:

,*<number> to multiply the axis value by <number>. This can be a fraction, such as 0.5 (to divide by 2), and it can be negative, to reverse the axis direction.

Having made it negative, thought, you'd need to correct the range by adding more, so you'd need something like

*-0.01,+327

I've not tried this. You may need to tune it a little.

Pete

Hi Peter, thanks very much. I kept it *-0.01,+163, and that seems fine, though I will tweak it a little.

Please accept my apologies - I'm really getting places with the FSUIPC manual and tutorials now, but the reverse axis part obviously eluded me. I'm sure you have better things to do on a Thursday afternoon than repeat what you've already said in the manual, so I apologise again.

Thanks once more for your help and this absorbing FSUIPC you've come with, Peter. The more I learn, the more amazed I am at what it's capable of. No flight simmer should be without it. :smile:

• 7 months later...

i have used pete's code for assigning the slider on my saitek 52 for zooming. However, I am getting too much zooming. How would I limit the zoom to say 5x down to 0.25x? Perhaps, someone could explain exactly what each of the aspects or elements of the axis code refers to.

i have used pete's code for assigning the slider on my saitek 52 for zooming. However, I am getting too much zooming. How would I limit the zoom to say 5x down to 0.25x? Perhaps, someone could explain exactly what each of the aspects or elements of the axis code refers to.

What needs explaining? The only relevant part to scaling the input value to get values more suited to what you want are these:

*-0.01,+327

which simply says "multiply by -0.01" then "add 327". i.e. it changes the sign, making positive negative or vice versa, then divides by 100 (same as multiplying by .01 = 1/100th) before adding 327. You'd need to experiment really.

I'm not totally sure without experimenting myself, but I think the value for 5x needs to be 320 and 0.25x is 16, so you want the minimum axis value converting to 16 and the max to 320. If the values run from -16383 to +16383 you'd need something like:

*.0092779,+168

the first number being 304 / 32766 to get the full ranfe -16383 to +16383 to be -152 to +152, and the +168 adjusts this to +16 to +320, as required.

As before, you can reverse this is you wish by using *-.0092779,+168

Pete

• 1 year later...

Pete, can I dig this one up again for an additional question? I've just bought FSUIPC tonight to finally be able to use the coolie hat for trim, plus I want to use the joy twist axis for view zoom. Found this thread, read through the section in the manual and came up with something that works for me - now when I twist my joy left, the view zooms in - finally a good use for that control! 

The ini line that works for me is: 0=0R,256,F,65701,0,0,0,*0.01,+33

Now, my question: actually the desired behavior is that only one half of the axis is used for zooming (in), the other half ideally wouldn't to anything. I.e., twist axis neutral (0) is zoom neutral (my regular zoom level) - twist left to zoom in, twisting right from neutral should *not* zoom out though. 

I can live with simply not twisting that stick right, that's ok - but out of curiosity: is there a way to limit this mapping like that? 

Thanks in advance!

Pete, can I dig this one up again for an additional question? I've just bought FSUIPC tonight to finally be able to use the coolie hat for trim, plus I want to use the joy twist axis for view zoom. Found this thread, read through the section in the manual and came up with something that works for me - now when I twist my joy left, the view zooms in - finally a good use for that control! 

The ini line that works for me is: 0=0R,256,F,65701,0,0,0,*0.01,+33

Now, my question: actually the desired behavior is that only one half of the axis is used for zooming (in), the other half ideally wouldn't to anything. I.e., twist axis neutral (0) is zoom neutral (my regular zoom level) - twist left to zoom in, twisting right from neutral should *not* zoom out though. 

I can live with simply not twisting that stick right, that's ok - but out of curiosity: is there a way to limit this mapping like that? 

Not just with the single line parameter input. You'd either need use the range option, on the right-hand side of the assignments, to assign the Zoom Set control to part of the range, and nothing to the other part -- this is INSTEAD of assigning directly on the left -- or have a small Lua plug-in program which discards the part of the full range you don't want.

The latter would be more flexible as I don't think the range setting option allows for a multiplier and adder as you are needing to use. It might do, though. I'd need to delve deep into ancient code to find out!

Pete