The simFlight Network Forums

FSX message buffer(s)?

Hello Pete,

I am wondering if there are user-readable offsets where FSX places the tsxt for the messages

that are displayed to the user...namely the messages in Multiplayer such as "XXX has joined the game",

"yyy has left the game", "Aircraft xxx substuted by Aircraft yyyy".

These messages are extremely difficult to read unless you happen to be running the display at 1024x768

as they are the red-text-on green-background type.

I used the "WhiteMessages=Yes" in the FSUIPC4.ini file and that works fine for the ATIS broadcasts

and my Lua display messages but that does not affect the 'comings and goings' messages.

I have observed, and written to, offset 0x3380 and these messages come out OK but that is not

the buffer used by the messages I wish to access.

What I want to do is grab the text in the 'comings and goings' buffer and re-write it to my

Lua window, which is very readable.

Any clues as to where that buffer might be? I assume the messages are sent via simconnect

but I have zero experience in that realm.

I find it interesting that the ATIS red-on-green messages are now white-on-green with the ini file

line added but the messages I am after are not affected by that fix.

Any clues/help would be appreciated.

Paul

I am wondering if there are user-readable offsets where FSX places the tsxt for the messages

that are displayed to the user...namely the messages in Multiplayer such as "XXX has joined the game",

"yyy has left the game", "Aircraft xxx substuted by Aircraft yyyy".

I've never found them -- not that i looked for those specifically, but I most certainly wanted to intercept the ATC messages.

Any clues as to where that buffer might be? I assume the messages are sent via simconnect

but I have zero experience in that realm.

Why would messages internal to FS be sent via SimConnect? SimConnect is an interface for add-ons.

If you ever find a way to get to these messages, do let me know, please!

Regards

Pete

Why would messages internal to FS be sent via SimConnect? SimConnect is an interface for add-ons.

I see the message content coming in from the Server in a particular packet using Ethersnoop.exe

so I assumed that SimConnect would be involved in the MultiPlayer Server-Client configuration.

I couldn't find anything identifiable in the simconnect.log file however.

I'll continue to dig around and let you know if I discover anything of use.

Paul

I see the message content coming in from the Server in a particular packet using Ethersnoop.exe

so I assumed that SimConnect would be involved in the MultiPlayer Server-Client configuration.

Multiplayer facilities were incorporated into FS before SimConnect was thought of. I don't know of any MP facilities in SimConnect. All the SimConnect client/server activities are related to getting inforation to applications and events back. It's a different interface altogether.

Regards

Pete

Multiplayer facilities were incorporated into FS before SimConnect was thought of. I don't know of any MP facilities in SimConnect. All the SimConnect client/server activities are related to getting inforation to applications and events back. It's a different interface altogether.

Regards

Pete

Hummm...over at FSDeveloper, in the SimConnect forum, I see a good number of threads dealing with communicating to

a multiplayer server via sinconnect. Not having an SDK covering the FSX version of multiplayer seems to cause a lot of

difficulty, from what I read there, but the threads definitely indicate that simconnect is used to create objects in the

multiplayer server as well as remove them.

Paul

threads definitely indicate that simconnect is used to create objects in the multiplayer server as well as remove them.

Yes, of course. Same as Ultimate Traffic 2 using SimConnect to create AI Traffic and GSX to create ground traffic. That's not a specific Multiplayer facility, it's an AI object interface. FSUIPC uses the same interface to get information on objects for TCAS tracking and to remove certain airport vehicles when AES is active.

If you want information on AI aircraft you can get that from SimConnect, or via FSUIPC if you like. If that's the only information you need t could use something ready-made like Super TrafficBoard, or evben my own freeware TrafficLook.

Pete