The simFlight Network Forums

Xponder configuration

I would like to build Xponder that will emulate the Garmin GX320 (or any other Analog Xponder)

is there away to configure the buttons & the knob through FSUIPC

• 1 Rotary Knob with the:

Off, SBY, On, Alt, Test, positions

• 9 Buttons for the numbers
  • 1 Button for the IDENT
  • 1 Button for the VFR Reset

Appreciate your advice

Yair

I would like to build Xponder that will emulate the Garmin GX320 (or any other Analog Xponder)

is there away to configure the buttons & the knob through FSUIPC

• 1 Rotary Knob with the:

Off, SBY, On, Alt, Test, positions

• 9 Buttons for the numbers
  • 1 Button for the IDENT
  • 1 Button for the VFR Reset

Do you have a gauge which has all this? Or are you building hardware for this? Because FS itself only has the 4 numbers you can change. No other transponder functions at all.

How do you select which of the 4 you are setting? Is it one of those which simply cycles left to right or right to left? Whatever way that works you could certainly easily program that in a small Lua plug-in which puts together the transponder value as you press the numbers and writes the resulting value back to the FS offset for transponder code (a 16 bit value holding the code in Binary-Coded decimal form -- i.e. 0x1234 for code 1234). You can't do it very easily using standard FS controls as they inc/dec each digit -- 8 separate controls. It can be done with those but it would be a real mess.

The VFR reset button could be a simple assignment to an FSUIPC Offset Word Set control to the 2-byte transponder offset of 0x1200. (The offset is 0x0354).

Regards

Pete

What about the IDENT function ???

All IDENT does is make the transponder send a different signal which causes the ATC blip to go bright or glow longer on screen, so the controller can ID you. If you fly on-line the different programs (FSInn, Ivap and Squawkbox) have their own different ways for you to do this so you'd need to handle it accordingly. if you don't fly on line then there is no consequence. All you might see on the transponder is some longer lighting of the "transmit" light. That's up to you to engineer locally.

The on-line programs also need you to tell them "off/standby" or "on/modeC" etc.

Pete

Sorry to butt in, but the "VFR" button works in FSX default Transponders as well, setting the code to 1200. It certainly did when I pressed it on the default C172's panel earlier anyway!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Sorry to butt in, but the "VFR" button works in FSX default Transponders as well, setting the code to 1200. It certainly did when I pressed it on the default C172's panel earlier anyway!

Yes, but I don't think there's any FS control to operate that button from a real button. So my answer stands, I think.

Pete