The simFlight Network Forums

Engine thrust control in FSX?

Hi Pete

Im working on a project that requires me to control the thrust of a turbine engine directly in FSX. Since Simconnect doesnt allow this I was wondering if you know of some sort of hack to get hold of the variable in memory and control it?

Thanks

Jonathan Bleeker

Im working on a project that requires me to control the thrust of a turbine engine directly in FSX. Since Simconnect doesnt allow this I was wondering if you know of some sort of hack to get hold of the variable in memory and control it?

Sorry, no, not I. Since SimConnect I've managed to avoid most hacking inside FS's convoluted code. Prior to fSX it was based on comparisons with earlier versions (which were C and ASM based, with much simpler code). As they moved to the horible "object-oriented" approach with convoluted C++ and impenetrable black boxes, I've avoided looking at it as far as possible. Sorry.

Maybe using Prepar3D would lead to more satisfaction in this sort of thing as I think it either does or is proposed to be opened up more for individual core aircraft simulations. And being an ongoing development with a reasonably responsive support team, you might get along with it better.

Regards

Pete

Danged.....Thanks anyway though. Im guessing that the turbine engine simulation is not quite the same in FSX as it is in FS9 so it wont transfer over ? (aside from the new afterburner systems....)

Danged.....Thanks anyway though. Im guessing that the turbine engine simulation is not quite the same in FSX as it is in FS9 so it wont transfer over ? (aside from the new afterburner systems....)

Virtually nothing that I'd investigated in any depth transferred over I'm afraid. Your area might possibly be more amenable then the others, but since I didn't have cause to find out such things in FS9 I never looked in FSX.

Most of my hacking into FS9 and before was for weather stuff, and the weather module was completely revised between FS9 and FSX, so much as to become unrecognisable.

Pete

I'm afraid direct control of turbine thrust in FS(9/X) is'nt possible. Turbine thrust is the result of a complex calculation from throttle position, mach and atmospheric parameters involving several turbine parameters (defined in aircraft.cfg) as well as several lookup tables (.air file).

However theoretical calculation of FS turbine thrust is possible as far as all parameters are correctly taken into account

For a general chart of thrust calculation by FS see here: http://www.mudpond.org/jet_flow_chart.pdf

Herve