The simFlight Network Forums

Traffic Zapall

Pete

I'm running FSX with FSUIPC 4.839b in W7 x64.

Forgive me if I missed this in the docs, but what parameters should I set for Traffic Zapall and Traffic Zapper in the Key Presses dialogue? I wish to be able to remove AI planes that are in my way on short finals, and also when they are about to taxi through me on the ground. So, a narrow beam with a range of 1-2 miles extending around 800ft QNH would seem about right. Having said that, your default values for most things in FSX usually fit the bill.

I know I should not mix topics but I read a lot now on these boards about Lua. Is this a language the inquisitive but poorly informed sim pilot should learn?

Best regards

John

Forgive me if I missed this in the docs, but what parameters should I set for Traffic Zapall and Traffic Zapper in the Key Presses dialogue?

The assigned traffic zapper controls take no parameters so any provided will be ignored.

I wish to be able to remove AI planes that are in my way on short finals, and also when they are about to taxi through me on the ground. So, a narrow beam with a range of 1-2 miles extending around 800ft QNH would seem about right. Having said that, your default values for most things in FSX usually fit the bill.

The default values for the INI file parameters "ZapAirRange" and "ZapGroundRange" have always worked for me in the situations you describe. They are described in the Advanced User's Guide. Just search on "Zap". There's also "ZapCylinderAltDiff", if you want to play with that.

The "ZapAll" deletes all aircraft meeting the set values, whilst the normall Zapper just deletes the nearest.

I know I should not mix topics but I read a lot now on these boards about Lua. Is this a language the inquisitive but poorly informed sim pilot should learn?

There's no point unless you want to do something which is not already catered for. As the descriptive documentation states, it' was added to allow folks to extend FSUIPC's capbilities -- i.e. to save me adding new facilities all the time. You could even use it to make your own Zapper, though that's a pretty complex thing to contemplate as a Lua starter! ;-)

Maybe look at it when you actually want to use it for something, rather than out of idle interest -- unless you are curious (as, actually, I would be! ;-) ).

Regards

Pete