8 replies to this topic

#1 vandijk

vandijk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Microsoft decided to cancel the development of Flight. I wait now for their decision to continue the support for FSX.

FSX is a great sim, but there are a lot items that could be improved. (scenery, aircraft, stuttering, ATC-bugs).

I hope the community agrees, and will highly appreciate such a decision!

#2 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,374 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the middle, UK.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Can you explain from MS's strategy and business perspectives what the advantage to them in doing so would be?
Posted Image

#3 vandijk

vandijk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

Ian

MS has an obligation to the FS-community, that already 30 years exist. FS has a lot of profit brought to MS.
OK, new management, new rules.
But what do we see now?
A new project, about six months later the failure. Do you see the advantage for MS ?
I see the comments an the forums.
That's why in my opinion MS should resume the support for FSX.

#4 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Obligation? How? They only have one "obligation" and that is to maximise shareholder returns.

It's got nothing to do with new management or new rules, go back and read MS press statements from pretty much ever since Apple released the iPod Touch, iPhone and later iPad and you'll see that their direction hasn't changed; "WE WANT MORE AFTER SALES INCOME", but in bold, italic and with a lot of whimpering around it.

Unfortunately, MS are utterly incompetent in that area, as Flight has proven once again, but the MSFS goes completely against their corporate policies and has done since FS9. That is why the MSFS line was closed along with the ACES studio. They want everything in-house, controlled and with all funds going to them, not third parties. Look at any MS line and you'll see the same thing happening, including Windows 8.

I'm afraid that while your opinion may match a lot of people in this hobby and industry, it will be completely ignored by Microsoft. The FS market is a miniscule sub area and they ignore massive corporate pressure to add or remove "features" from Government and multinational businesses, so why should we be special?

Ian P.
Posted Image

#5 CXA001

CXA001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCEO Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Read the licence for FSX. Microsoft is under no obligation to do anything.

Besides I beleive they have sold the engine for FSX to the guys are Prepare 3D.
Posted Image

#6 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not quite - they sold the code for ESP, which was formed from the same source code as FSX, to Lockeed-Martin, who developed it into Prepar3d. ESP and FSX were similar, but not the same. P3D has split further from the FSX source, but retains enough that most add-ons for the two are basically compatible.
Posted Image

#7 PT.Vohnsen

PT.Vohnsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

They should continue support with FSX, no doubt about it.
I still can't see the audience for Flight, it was doomed to fail from the beginning.
If Flight was made a real simulator like FSX, they could have made tons of money along with DLC.

HAF X Full tower with 1200W Corsair ATX Gold
ROG Asus Maximus IV Sandy Bridge
i7 2600k 3,4 ~ 4,6Ghz with Zalman cooler
16Gb Vengeance 15250MB/s
2x2 TB HD, Writing at 185-200MB/s, 500GB for Windows 7 Ultimate
GTX780
27" 16:9 HD 1ms response

#8 Ian P

Ian P

Grumpy Old Mod

• Administrators
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

You're enjoying being the embodiment of the old adage that "there's none so blind as he who chooses not to see", aren't you?

FSX is dead. Terminated. Ended. Deader that Flight is (and killed off considerably earlier, in case you forgot) in Microsoft's eyes. It is written off as a product, no longer in development and is completely against the corporate culture, direction and intentions of Microsoft as a company.

MS are completely incapable of succeeding in after market sales for exactly the reasons Flight has shown. They're too slow, too expensive, too few in number and too closed to allow themselves to react to a changing situation. Acceleration proved it as well - how many people do you know that use its flagship online air racing functionality, compared to those that bought it for carrier ops and maybe multi-engine helicopters? I know exactly none. I know air racers, but they use other, 3rd party, aircraft that don't require acceleration. How many fixes have there been to Acceleration's many bugs and issues? None. Flight proved it with the never-ending stream of cockpitless warbirds and one whole scenery release in its entire life, in spite of massive negative feedback about what was being done. Microsoft don't care. They don't - cannot - react in the way a 3rd party developer can.

The fact that they closed both Flight Simulator and Flight down proves that it isn't the massive profit maker you suggest.

In other words, you're still choosing not to see reality through your rose tinted spectacles.

Ian P.
Posted Image

#9 Burkhard

Burkhard

Product Support

• Moderators
  • 14,508 posts
  • LocationIn front of my computer

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

We have to be aware that MSFS never was a money maker for Microsoft. Due to its challenges for computer and software ressources it served as a technology platform, starting from proving that games are possible under DOS, under Windows95, 98, under XP and with unseen grafics under Vista. So to skip it shows to me that MS is no longer leading at the technology front.

A former Microsoft top manager told me the following story:

When FS98 was published, which was the best selling ever (around 10 million copies sold), Microsoft management found out it was not bringing in a profit, and proposed to terminate the series. Only one person opposed to it and said:

"When I took over the Flight Simulator from Bruce in 1982, I gave him my word that we will continue to develop it - we will do so as long as I have a word to say at Microsoft".

HE now is a privateer with many many billion bucks and has nothing to say at Microsoft any longer. Our beautiful hobby has been possible only because it was a great gift of many many million $ by Mr. Bill Gates. Thank you, Bill!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About simFlight - simflight.com - simflight.de - simflight.fr - simflight.nl - simflight.pt - simflight.es - simflight.it - simflight.jp - simrussia.com - simMarket