The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle setup for Eaglesoft citation x

I know I'm not the only one out there who has pulled their hair out trying to set up the throttles on the Citation X. I have a doctorate level education and setting the throtlles was not as intuitive as one may think. However, mine are working just fine now and I want to share how I set them up with everyone. Hopefully Pete can give some input as well

1. Delete your axis for throttle on the fsx throttle control page

2. Go to the axis tab of FSUIPC and move your throttle. It should give you an axis.

3. Click on the box where the control is sent directly to FSUIPC

4. Pull the tab down for throttle one

5. Just under that pull down the tab and click for throttle two

6. Go to page 3 of the joystick section

7. Move your throtttle to max and click set

8. Do the same for idle

9. If you have a Saitek x-52 then you can also set reverse thrust. I dont know about other vendors

10. Now go to throttle two on the same page and make sure the values are the same for both throttles. This way they work together. My main problem was one throttle being higher than another.

11. I dont know what the filter is about and I dont know what the exclude throttle nset means either. Anyway I clicked it and it all works great now.

I hope this helps some of you. The other planes are so easy to set up I dont know what the deal was with Eaglesoft. Either way its a great jet and goes like a bat out of hell

I know I'm not the only one out there who has pulled their hair out trying to set up the throttles on the Citation X. I have a doctorate level education and setting the throtlles was not as intuitive as one may think. However, mine are working just fine now and I want to share how I set them up with everyone. Hopefully Pete can give some input as well

I'll try to clarify some of this if I can. But apart from the variety of options FSUIPC provides so so many different aircraft types can be programmed correctly, I'm not sure what you find difficult or confusing. Maybe it is something about the fussiness of the particular aircraft which makes the choice so narrow and therefore more difficult to determine?

1. Delete your axis for throttle on the fsx throttle control page

Doesn't the aircraft work with normal FSX assigned throttle? I can't imagine they'd design an aircraft with FSUIPC dependency built-in.

But please note that if you don't actually disable controllers in FSX it is liable to re-assign automatically, especially if one time it thinks the device is newly connected.

4. Pull the tab down for throttle one

5. Just under that pull down the tab and click for throttle two

I'm not sure whay you need to assign the same axis to both throttles there, when you could, as documented, just map the first onto the second in the calibration tab (page 3). Maybe you are using an out-of-date version of FSUIPC which had a problem with the mapping in some configurations? The current version is 4.84, with 4.85 due to be released this weekend.

9. If you have a Saitek x-52 then you can also set reverse thrust. I dont know about other vendors

Any throttle lever can be set with a reverse thrust zone if required, though I know many with the Saitek quadrant use the button engaged at the full back position to activate the "throttle decr" control for reverse instead of losing some of the lever movement.

11. I dont know what the filter is about and I dont know what the exclude throttle nset means either. Anyway I clicked it and it all works great now.

Both are documented. The filter attempts to smooth out severe jitters, those caused by a bad power supply rather than dirt. It isn't recommended otherwise because it can affect responsiveness -- not a good idea on a fast aircraft! The exclude options at the bottom are special fiddles needed for some add-ons, and all i can say about those is try it and see -- It depends on the add-on implementation.

Regards

Pete

P.S. You may like to re-post your helpful notes in the "User Contributions" subforum, where it will remain as a reference for others. Messages here scroll out of easy reach quite quickly.

Pete, the Citation X v2.0 uses FSUIPC to intercept the hardware throttle input(s), pass them through the FADEC system, then forwards the massaged values onto the sim.

Ed Wilson chose to use a user's registered FSUIPC since the same gauge module had to be compatible with both FS9 and FSX. :cool:

The CX is still "flyable" without a registered version of FSUIPC of course, albeit without the finesse of FADEC support.

Pete, the Citation X v2.0 uses FSUIPC to intercept the hardware throttle input(s), pass them through the FADEC system, then forwards the massaged values onto the sim.

Ah, is it one of those implementations which used the values in certain offsets which were actually faulty, and instead of reporting the fault to me so I could fix it long ago, adapted to the incorrect values? If so, then because i corrected those values a while back it may be one which needs the "AxesWrongrange=Yes" parameter to make those offsets revert to their previous wrong values.

The reference is here (quoted from the Advanced User's manual)::

AxesWrongRange=No: This goes into the [General] section, and when set to Yes it makes FSUIPC revert to an erroneous way of providing certain control axis values in offsets. more details:

Offsets 332E–3336, and 3412, 3416, 3418 are intended, and documented, to provide the axis values in the correct range, calibrated if so set. For throttles, for example, the correct range is 0-16k for forward thrust, with negative values providing reverse. These values are then suitable for application directly to the FS control offsets, exactly as documented. Unfortunately these offsets were wrong for a long time, often providing the incorrect range (-16k to +16k). This went unreported and therefore unfixed during a period when some add-ons were developed which used the incorrect values.

Therefore, when this serious bug was eventually located and fixed, those add-ons stopped working correctly. So, to force these back to their old (wrong) behaviour: set "AxesWrongRange=Yes".

If so then it might exaplain why such a very specific series of settings appeared to be needed to work around this without the parameter set specifically for the aircraft.

Regards

Pete