The simFlight Network Forums

Possible solution for FSUIPC access violation

huppel

What follows is a possible solution for an access violation in FSUIPC that can suddenly appear.

Note: the symptoms look very similar to what is described in the “FSX fails to run after FSUIPC4 first installed” FAQ post. The problem is different in the sense that in that case it will happen before FSUIPC ran successfully for the very first while in the problem solved in this post it occurs after FSUIPC has been running successfully for some time already.

So the symptoms are:

• FSX reports “Flight simulator has detected a problem with a third party software program” where FSUIPC is mentioned as the third party add on
  • If you choose to continue running FSUIPC from the above dialog FSX will crash
  • No FSUIPC log was generated for this run
  • In the simconnect logging there is nothing to be found about FSUIPC (please see in the FAQ how to turn on the simconnect logging)
  • In the windows event logger for applications you will find an entry similar to:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: FSUIPC4.dll, version: 4.8.5.9, time stamp: 0x50f440c1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001c2a4

Note: the fault offset will most likely be different for every different version of FSUIPC
  • If you delete the FSUIPC.ini file the problem will not disappear (if it does then you have a different situation and the problem might be caused by the content of your ini file)

The problem is caused by MS Windows which suddenly incorrectly determines that FSUIPC should be corrected to make it run ok on your machine and in the process just makes it crash!

How to solve this problem (requires editing your registry, only do this if you know how that works and don’t blame me if things do not work at all after doing this):

1) Open regedit

2) Goto the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

3) Delete the key "C:\\Games\\FSX\\fsx.exe"="$~ RUNASADMIN IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll>"

If the key does not exist or does not end with the “IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll>” then you have a different problem than described here…

4) If you would like to run FSX as an administrator you need to activate that again as you removed that in step 3.

Note 1: it could be that this problem is caused by switching to another application while FSX is loading (while the splashscreen is shown) although I’m not certain about this.

Note 2: it could be that this problem is Windows 8 specific but again I’m not sure.

Best, Marcel Fransen

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What follows is a possible solution for an access violation in FSUIPC that can suddenly appear.

Note: the symptoms look very similar to what is described in the “FSX fails to run after FSUIPC4 first installed” FAQ post. The problem is different in the sense that in that case it will happen before FSUIPC ran successfully for the very first while in the problem solved in this post it occurs after FSUIPC has been running successfully for some time already.

So the symptoms are:

• FSX reports “Flight simulator has detected a problem with a third party software program” where FSUIPC is mentioned as the third party add on
  • If you choose to continue running FSUIPC from the above dialog FSX will crash
  • No FSUIPC log was generated for this run
  • In the simconnect logging there is nothing to be found about FSUIPC (please see in the FAQ how to turn on the simconnect logging)
  • In the windows event logger for applications you will find an entry similar to:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: FSUIPC4.dll, version: 4.8.5.9, time stamp: 0x50f440c1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001c2a4

Note: the fault offset will most likely be different for every different version of FSUIPC

• If you delete the FSUIPC.ini file the problem will not disappear (if it does then you have a different situation and the problem might be caused by the content of your ini file)
The problem is caused by MS Windows which suddenly incorrectly determines that FSUIPC should be corrected to make it run ok on your machine and in the process just makes it crash!

How to solve this problem (requires editing your registry, only do this if you know how that works and don’t blame me if things do not work at all after doing this):

1) Open regedit

2) Goto the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

3) Delete the key "C:\\Games\\FSX\\fsx.exe"="$~ RUNASADMIN IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll>"

If the key does not exist or does not end with the “IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSUIPC4.dll>” then you have a different problem than described here…

4) If you would like to run FSX as an administrator you need to activate that again as you removed that in step 3.

Note 1: it could be that this problem is caused by switching to another application while FSX is loading (while the splashscreen is shown) although I’m not certain about this.

Note 2: it could be that this problem is Windows 8 specific but again I’m not sure.

Best, Marcel Fransen

Hi Marcel;

I looked in the registry but I did not find that key in the location specified. I am using windows 7, would that make a difference?

Regards,

Michael.

• 2 years later...
On 17/01/2013 at 9:26 PM, huppel said:

Best, Marcel Fransen

Just to confirm, I had the same problem running Windows10x64bit.

Your instructions cured it for me.

Regards,

Ben.

• 1 year later...

Actually, this hint can be a game saver. FSUIPC (latest version) worked without any problem till last Monday. Then I obviously made a big mistake as I updated my W10/64  to 1809. Today my attempt starting FSXA ended with a silent crash. Unfortunately I only can check the registry change next Monday. However, there is just an observation making me uncertain. It only happened when running FSX in a user environment without elevated privileges.

Regards,
Axel

• 4 months later...

Help this problem or similar may have risen from the grave with the latest update to Win 10 installed 2 days ago.All has been going perfectly till last night when FSX SE dropped without warning and any attempt to load since has garnered the attached screen message recent updates are'---- Feature update 1907, Cumulative for net framework 3.5 4.8 for win 10 1903 x64  and security for Adobe Any ideas ? or have microsoft struck again

Screenshot (4).png

Hi  John re replies not confident enough yet with 10 to go into registry. {Only went up from 8.1 and old PC to a new PC and 10 in May).  Continue is the instant kiss of death My problem occurs even with Admin privileges.  looks like Flying Axe has the same problem in the same timescale and updates Ps  my fsuipc 4 is up to date

7 minutes ago, Tony90 said:

Oops misread date on flying Axx post but sounded  very similar ie MS upgrade Fsipc fails 

Again, I have no idea what this means, sorry....

7 minutes ago, Tony90 said:

No I have not accessed the registry.  How certain can we be that itr is the same problem?

Does it matter? Make a backup of your registry and you can always revert back to it later if it causes issues.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what support you require. Please follow the instructions. If  that doesn't work, then post the results here and we'll try to help.

John

P.S. You are hijacking a FAQ thread. If you have any issues, can you please start a new thread in the support forum (not the FAQ). If the support request requires a different solution to that posted in this FAQ entry, then I will update accordingly. I'll leave these comments in the FAQ entry for a while, but they will be deleted as they are really not appropriate to a FAQ entry. Thanks.

Sorry if I Hi jacked the thread  However relying on the restore point from the update to bail me out if it went wrong I risked using Regedit  and deleted  the key suggested by  Portnav which has apparently resolved the issue Thanks for your help

On 3/20/2019 at 11:09 PM, FlyingAxx said:

Actually, this hint can be a game saver. FSUIPC (latest version) worked without any problem till last Monday. Then I obviously made a big mistake as I updated my W10/64  to 1809. Today my attempt starting FSXA ended with a silent crash. Unfortunately I only can check the registry change next Monday. However, there is just an observation making me uncertain. It only happened when running FSX in a user environment without elevated privileges.

Regards,
Axel

Sorry guys that I didn't report the outcome. I only had the chance accessing the concerned computer two weeks later. However, Marcel's fix worked for me.

Regards,
Axel

• 1 year later...