The simFlight Network Forums

I HAVE UPDATED MY FSUIPC TO VERSION 4.91 AND MY SAITEK HARDWARE IS NOT WORKING

Here is my log file after copying 4913a and after 4913b. I overwrited my older FSUIPC 4.90 version with them. Please, note that I already had the buttons and axes assigned in my 4.90 version.

That is NOT the LOG file! It is the INI file, the one with your settings!!! The log file has file type ".LOG"!

The point about going to the assignments tabs and at least pressing some buttons and moving some axes was to get some extra logging!

Pete

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God! Sorry again Pete! My file explorer... I only can see my files as a txt files (not as a log or ini files). I'm trying to post the log here but It's impossible! It's too long! Can I send you by email?

Oh dear. There are instructions in the FSUIPC Installation document for rectifying the stupid default settings in Explorer -- see the "ADDENDUM: IDENTIFYING FILES IN WINDOWS EXPLORER" section at the end. The document is only 4 pages long, it shouldn't have been hard to read it all!

There's also a section on this in the FSUIPC4 User Guide, "Finding and Editing files relating to FSUIPC and WideFS". It's on Page 7 usually.

I'm trying to post the log here but It's impossible! It's too long! Can I send you by email?

Yes, but ZIP it first please. I expect most of it is repetition so you could simply extract unique bits, but never mind. ZIP it and send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Pete

He is using TPM. That must be separate from the one that comes with the yoke and is a separate USB module. I would think he requires a driver for that as well. My problem is with the multi-panel and the display not displaying. Buttons and switches work fine. SPAD in use.

I will read it! Now I have sent the requested file by email (Zip compressed).

Hmm. That wasn't much use. As i suggested, it was merely the same stuff repeated over and over. Did you actually press any buttons during that session, especialy in the Button assignment options tab? If you did then they are simply not being seen at all. The log clearly shows that FSUIPC is doing the right things, it is reading all of the devices it can and never gets any changes back from them.

If you didn't press any buttons then the test was a waste of time, so I have to assume you did. Why did you not do the same for Axis assignments -- at least I can't see any trace if you did?

Could you do the same using 4.90 please, i.e. with the same INI file and logging. Then show me the log. I'm finding it very hard to believe what appears to be hapening, because apart from the extra logging I've been adding there's absolutely no difference in any of this part of FSUIPC which could explain it.

I'll try for a bit longer, but I am running out of ideas. Others seem fine. There's nothing unique about Saitek joysticks. If 4.91 couldn't read any joysticks, any axes, there's be a lot of support reports coming in about it, and my own system would be unusable. It makes no sense at all. There's something unique about your system, but I can't see how 4.90 vs 4.91 can operate differently on it.. :sad:

Pete

Yes Pete, I pressed some buttons during my session in the Buttons and Keys assignment options tab. Later I moved my yoke several times and my TPM controls in the axis assignment options tab, but I couldn't see anything. The fields were in blank when I did it. No problem, tonight I will send you my log file from the 4.90 FSUIPC version to check it.

Thank you very much for your support. I hope that we can solve this.

Fran

At the beginning, I installed FSUIPC 4.91 version directly. After that, I deleted all files from the Modules folder and lines from my fsx.cfg and reinstalled my older 4.80 version and updated it to 4.90 version. Also I installed 4.90 version alone (clean install) and It works perfectly...

Fran

Does he have both versions installed? Seems he still has all the 4,9 0 as well as 4.91.

They can't both run -- FSUIPC detects this. And in any case even if i allowed two to run together, they would both be able to read joysticks because they are one of those resources which multiple users can access all the time. same applies to any USB connections. Only COM and LPT ports are exclusive.

He has 4.90 saved from a previous install, that's all.

Regards

Pete

tonight I will send you my log file from the 4.90 FSUIPC version to check it.

Okay.

After that, please download FSUIPC4913c and test again, same things to do. The log will not be so big. I've removed the last lot of logging which told me nothing, and simply added error reporting for every single DirectInput call I'm using. It's a sort of last gasp. I've looked and looked and can think of nothing further to check.

Regards

Pete

Drivers. Please appease me and load the Saitek Drivers for your Yoke and TPM. Do you have rudder pedals too? If so load that driver too. Be sure to use the ones for your OS (32 or 64).

Pete, I know my axis devices did not work correctly until I installed the drivers. I have Pro Yoke with throttle quadrant and pedals with Saitek 64 bit drivers installed. For panels I use SPAD.

Pete, I know my axis devices did not work correctly until I installed the drivers. I have Pro Yoke with throttle quadrant and pedals with Saitek 64 bit drivers installed. For panels I use SPAD.

Odd then that my Saitek throttle quadrant works fine and i've never installed any Saitek software.  Also the OP has no problem with FSUIPC 4.90. It makes no sense. Maybe installing the drivers will make some registry changes that may help, but i still wouldn't understand why that could make any operational difference FSUIPC 4.90 and 4.91.

Thanks for trying to help, though. Let's see what happens next.

Pete

I have a feeling it is either a 64 bit issue, driver issue r the new FSUIPC. My 32 bit install worked flawlessly. Now with 64 bit and new FSUIPC I have now and then problems and one that is staying with me for the moment, multi-panel display will not display while all buttons and switches work fine. Sometimes after reboot the display works so I am looking more towards mainboard usb issues than other sw.

I have a feeling it is either a 64 bit issue, driver issue r the new FSUIPC. My 32 bit install worked flawlessly. Now with 64 bit and new FSUIPC I have now and then problems and one that is staying with me for the moment, multi-panel display will not display while all buttons and switches work fine. Sometimes after reboot the display works so I am looking more towards mainboard usb issues than other sw.

64-bit systems are in the majority now. I personally don't know any users still using a 32-bit version of Windows. I have certainly heard of device problems with Windows 8. I'm staying well away from that. Windows 7 64-bit is very good.

And in any case there's no difference which should affect anything near the joystick button and axis facilities between versions 4.90 and 4.91. The only differences are very minor and concerned with other things altogether.

Regards

Pete

Then I must have been the last of the dinosaurs, but probably not. I know people still using XP.

In any case, I have an ASUS Maximus V Formula and i7-3770K with 8GB of memory and every other start of SPAD I have no display in my multi-panel. A reboot sometimes cures it and a reload of USB drivers is in the making. Just some system combo's have unique problems and he/she is one of them. Interesting problem though, even if it is frustrating for the user.

Then I must have been the last of the dinosaurs, but probably not. I know people still using XP.

I'm using XP on all the Client PCs working the cockpit. I only use Win7-64 for FSX and on my main development system. And I have a Notebook running Vista 32-bit, mainly to check compatibility occasionally. I tried Win 8 on that and it was a disaster -- couldn't get decent video drivers for the mobo video chip and the default drivers were abysmally slow and couldn't give me the correct resolution.

Regards

Pete

Now, I have sent you my log files from FSUIPC 4.90 and 4.913c versions. I don't know if you received it because it seems I have some problems with my Yahoo mail.

Got them, thanks.

This is more interesting. On the 4.90 log we see:

796 #### Initialising Dlrectinput Axis Scanning ...

796    Trying: "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_06A3&PID_0BAC\Calibration\0"

796    Missing key on HKLM? Trying HKCU (Vista or W7 in XP compatibility mode?) ...

796 Assuming running on Vista or later in compatibility mode!

796    Found correct joystick Id 0

796    ... and a "GUID" value

796    ... okay, Acquired device!

796    Trying: "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_06A3&PID_0B4D\Calibration\0"

796    Found correct joystick Id 1

796    ... and a "GUID" value

796    ... okay, Acquired device!

In other words it is all to do with the Registry.  Are you running FSX in some sort of Compatibnility mode? Please check Properties on the FSX.EXE.

Despite the Registry prtoblem, version 4.90 does manage to find and acquire the devices using a work-around fiddle. However, none of the above appears in the 4.913c log, which is mighty strange because that are certainly shouldn't have changed.

In the 4.913c log, because the devices 0 and 1 were not acquired, you get many of these when access is attempted:

59155 *** JOY ERROR: The LPDIRECTINPUTDEVICE8 handle for Joy #0 is zero!

This is understandable, because unless the device is acquired there will be no handle. What I don't understand at present is how devices can not be acquired and yet the reason for that not be logged. In the recent log additions I though I added logging for all paths. Evidently there's a way passed that which I've not spotted.

Anyway, it has narrowed the search down considerably. I may still need a further test, maybe with more logging, but at least this is progress at last!

Regards

Pete

Yes Pete, I'm running my FSX on Windows 7 64 bits in XP compatibility mode.

I think that's the reason -- I've tracked down a very small change i must have made, presumably after 4.90, which can make it ignore devices not listed in "HKLM" (the Local Machine part of the Registry). In XP or XP Comparibility mode the data is in "HKCU" (Current User). Sometimes it is in both -- it all depends what happened and what choices are made during installation. Maybe BBQSteve was actually right on the button when he suggested installing the Saitek drivers, because doing that might have fixed the Registry entries.

However, I think I might have fixed it now. Try FSUIPC4913d.zip, with the current logging (just in case). If it works remove the extra logging and just confirm. If not I need to see the log again please.

Sorry for all the fuss. I'm getting senile. I certainly didn't remember the change I just found, and i still don't! And it can't have been many weeks ago!

Regards

Pete

So has Fran installed those drivers yet and if not why not? It won't hurt and it certainly could have helped days ago. I am glad that you found that change though Pete. It may effect something else down the road,

Now if I could just figure out why my multi-panel display keeps not displaying. Happens over night. Thought at first it was the asleep mode of windows, changed it to no sleep, but again today no display.

I will try this 4913d next Tuesday. I can't try it before this date because I will go out.

Oh no! That's most unfortunate!

In that case I am going to have to assume it works, because I am now pretty much committed to making a new release this weekend (4.92). i am away from the middle of next week for nearly two weeks and won't have time in any case to do further changes after Tuesday.

Pete