The simFlight Network Forums

Airbus X Extended, Throttle and FSUIPC - another user with a problem

I regret having to join the group of users having problems with FSUIPC and the Airbus X Extended.  But here I am.  I've already taken this issue up with Aerosoft tech support, and have been told rather firmly that it's not something they're able or willing to address.  So I'll take it up here.

The issue is this: I've followed the instructions on their forums for setting up controls under FSUIPC.  All of the controls work properly with one exception - the throttle axes are inverted.  When I try to un-invert them using the Aerosoft Airbus configuration tool (by de-selecting "invert axes"), the throttle problem is cured - but all of the other axes are inverted as well (e.g. a full left aileron command deflects the ailerons to the left, and so on).

Under any other circumstances, I'd go into FSUIPC and check the "reverse" box in the calibration pages for the two throttles.  But Aerosoft's FADEC module is unable to read FSUIPC calibration - if I try, the axes become unreadable altogether.  I've asked them whether there's a way to address a single axis (or in this case a pair of axes) inside their module.  Their reply is that the problem is with FSUIPC, not with their software, and they're not going to take any action to address my issue.

My FSUIPC setup works with all my other aircraft, and with a suite of control devices including a PFC yoke and throttle quadrant, a Thurstmaster Warthog HOTAS (I was trying to use its joystick as an Airbus sidestick), Saitek pedals (soon to be replaced with PFC) and a custom set of helicopter controls.

I do recall one similar issue with a different Aerosoft product - the 4X Katana.  In that case, the prop lever was inverted, and I was unable to set it up to use the prop governor.  But in that case, I was able to use the Katana's configuration routine to define the axes as a normal one without the governor, and that allowed me to use it, but without the governor function.

I've also found that A2A's configuration utility can't read FSUIPC inputs, but most of those can be replicated within FSUIPC, so it's not an issue.

This is the first time I've run across an aircraft with a critical control that won't respond to FSUIPC calibrations.

I'm open to anything you can suggest about my setup.

For the record: I'm running FSX with Acceleration on a W7 PC, i7-3770K overclocked to 4.8 gHz on a custom water cooling loop, 16 megs of DDR3 2400 RAM, and a GTX 680 card, also water-cooled.  I'd be glad to provide further specs as needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The issue is this: I've followed the instructions on their forums for setting up controls under FSUIPC.  All of the controls work properly with one exception - the throttle axes are inverted.  When I try to un-invert them using the Aerosoft Airbus configuration tool (by de-selecting "invert axes"), the throttle problem is cured - but all of the other axes are inverted as well (e.g. a full left aileron command deflects the ailerons to the left, and so on).

Under any other circumstances, I'd go into FSUIPC and check the "reverse" box in the calibration pages for the two throttles.  But Aerosoft's FADEC module is unable to read FSUIPC calibration - if I try, the axes become unreadable altogether.  I've asked them whether there's a way to address a single axis (or in this case a pair of axes) inside their module.  Their reply is that the problem is with FSUIPC, not with their software, and they're not going to take any action to address my issue.

How would it be an FSUIPC problem?  If you are not calibrating the thorttles in FSUIPC then how does it come into this?

Note that I am pretty sure there is a solution using Lua plugins to set the throttles directly.  I'm pretty sure that works judging by other users. Have you checked the User Contributions subforum at all? There are quite a few threads relevant to the Aerosoft Airbus. Try this one in particular:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/65720-aerosoft-airbusx-commands-throttle-upd-16th-sept/

The problem with FS add-ons is that every "clever" developer has his own idea about how to do things "properly" and perverts the standard FS controls to suit that aim. FSUIPC does have a lot of options to try to cope with them all, but in the end it is impossible. The addition of the Lua plug-in facilities was the only answer, but then it is up to others to find out how to fix things in whatever way it can be done. I can provide the tools, and have done, but i cannot possibly provide the solutions for every different add-on.

Please always check the Subforums on this site. You'll find lots of useful stuff there.

Maybe when you do solve it you can go back to the Aerosoft place and tell them so they can provide the correct advice in future?

Regards

Pete

Well, uh, yeah - that was essentially my question to them: How can you blame FSUIPC if you're not letting me use its facilities to solve the problem?

At some future point I may decide to say something publicly about the quality and tone of Aerosoft's customer support.  But first things first.  I wasn't aware of the availability of these particular Lua scripts.  I'll check out the subforum and see if there's anything available that address the problem.  And yes, if I can manage to solve it, I'll post here and also over at Aerosoft (and via PM to their customer service people) so that they'll be able to give advice that's actually useful.

Thanks for the support so far and I'll keep you posted.

Best,

Alan

@Pete - thanks for the link, but if I'm reading that thread correctly, the lua script in question is for the original Airbus X, not the Extended.  I've searched the User Contributions subforum but haven't found anything for the Extended specifically.  I'll post there, and maybe also in the Avsim LINDA forum, and see what I can come up with.

@gardan (Michel) - merci!  But unfortunately, although I have some French, it's not up to the technicalities at hand, and Google Translate only gets me so far.  A question - am I correct that your solution is designed to get the throttles to operate in the reverse range?  If so, that's great, but my problem is more basic - the axes are entirely inverted, so that moving my hardware controller to full throttle moves the VC throttles to idle.  I'm wondering if Pat_59's script might be the answer.  I'll try it and report back.  In the meantime, if you read this and can tell me if I'm on the right track or not, that's be great.  Many thanks for your help!

But unfortunately, although I have some French, it's not up to the technicalities at hand, and Google Translate only gets me so far.  A question - am I correct that your solution is designed to get the throttles to operate in the reverse range?  If so, that's great, but my problem is more basic - the axes are entirely inverted, so that moving my hardware controller to full throttle moves the VC throttles to idle.

Actually from the diagrams (not the French) it looks as if he's wired the throttle in reverse, as it shows TOGA at -16192 and reverse at +11953, so it seems the reversal is built into the Airbus (a deliberate attempt to stop folks using hardware controls???

You can reverse an axis at the assignment stage, without using calibrations, by editing the assignment entry in the [Axes...] section of the INI file, adding a multipler parameter at the end of the line. e.g ,*-1 multiplies the value by -1, so reversing it.

Regards

Pete

And that was the answer.  By using the ,*-1 suffix in the .ini, I was able to invert both the throttle axes and get them oriented correctly.  As it turned out, I had to do the same with the brake axes.  Now everything is working correctly - flight controls are correct via the "invert axes" option in the Airbus configurator, throttles and brakes are correct thanks to the new parameter in the .ini file.

Many thanks, Pete, for your help.  And thanks also, gardan, for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll go post the solution over at the Aerosoft forums so that others don't have to go through this.

Thanks again.

And that was the answer.  By using the ,*-1 suffix in the .ini, I was able to invert both the throttle axes and get them oriented correctly.  As it turned out, I had to do the same with the brake axes.  Now everything is working correctly - flight controls are correct via the "invert axes" option in the Airbus configurator, throttles and brakes are correct thanks to the new parameter in the .ini file.

Many thanks, Pete, for your help.  And thanks also, gardan, for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad the solution was so simple.  I must admit the stuff for the earlier Airbius X had me thinking on different lines altogether -- the solutions there were very different!

Pete

• 6 months later...