The simFlight Network Forums

Trim Wheel saitek/ fsuipc

fsuipc 4.929 saitek trim wheel
in axis assignment move trim wheel up/down -16383 + 16383 send direct to fsuipc calibration elevator trim
then to joystick calibration hit reset trim wheel up/down hit set, the 3 set tabs -16380 -512 16380
Click ok trim wheel up is smooth and small increments when you get to 0 level moving to down the increments increase greatly
in joystick calibration I can check Rev and the issue is reversed. I can use mouse to as trim wheel and both directions are fine and slow.
any Ideas I can try.
This happens with default aircraft, A2A 172, Carendo V35

reenabledcontrollers in FSX it even worse. May be in the trim wheel.

Edited by mbwilgus

• 2 weeks later...

fsuipc 4.929 saitek trim wheel

in axis assignment move trim wheel up/down -16383 + 16383 send direct to fsuipc calibration elevator trim

then to joystick calibration hit reset trim wheel up/down hit set, the 3 set tabs -16380 -512 16380

Those are the default values, so you don't appear to have actually claibrated the trim at all? There are 4 values in any case, not 3 -- the centre null region is defined by 2 values. One value can't define a region.

Please check the Calibration chapter in the User Guide. You'll find a series of numbered steps. Follow those.

Click ok trim wheel up is smooth and small increments when you get to 0 level moving to down the increments increase greatly

It seems the centre is actually well off-centre, than. Obviously if there is more movement available for the wheel one side of the "0" input that the other, then each movement will be worth more in input values. This is precisely why you need to calibrate correctly. Find the centre of the actual wheel movement and calibrate the centre around that, do NOT just leave it to default at the ipnut 0 position as you have done!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I also have issues with this trim wheel. FSUIPC (registered latest version) lets me assign the device (elevator trim) and the wheel works. However, when I try to calibrate the wheel in the corresponding section of FSUIPC, the axis is never detected. Also, changing any settings (e.g., reverse operation) has no effect.

When I say "the wheel works" that is actually only sort of true. It appears that often the wheel is only recognized after I move it. I then hear the Windows 8 "USB device unplugged" sound, followed by the "USB device detected" sound. Only after this procedure the wheel works.

I am not sure if this is related, but since about the time when I got the wheel (two months ago) I have issues with all my USB controls. On long flights (typically with PMDG planes) yoke, trim wheel and throttle quadrant (all Saitek) disconnect in mid flight. Other USB devices are not affected. I didn't have these issues before as long as I used FSUIPC to connected the controls. I have made sure that no buttons etc of any of the controls are assigned in FSX.

In my FSUIPC log file, the message

15674641 ***** HID USB device reconnected: re-initialising FSUIPC connections

is frequently repeated after the controls are disconnected.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

I also have issues with this trim wheel. FSUIPC (registered latest version) lets me assign the device (elevator trim) and the wheel works. However, when I try to calibrate the wheel in the corresponding section of FSUIPC, the axis is never detected.

Calibration does not "detect" or work with axes but on the resulting FS controls. So, please tell me exactly how you've assigned the trim wheel. The calibration section will always detect changes in whichever control it is designed to calibrate, so you need to be very explicit. Maybe show me your INI file so I can see for myself.

When I say "the wheel works" that is actually only sort of true. It appears that often the wheel is only recognized after I move it. I then hear the Windows 8 "USB device unplugged" sound, followed by the "USB device detected" sound. Only after this procedure the wheel works.

That sounds like a faulty wire or bad USB port. Try another, or get the device checked -- the USB unplugged/connected sound certainly means an apparent disconnection.

You should also make sure that Windows power management is turned off on all USSB devices in the Windows device management. But power management will not make it look like a disconnection/reconnection.

I am not sure if this is related, but since about the time when I got the wheel (two months ago) I have issues with all my USB controls. On long flights (typically with PMDG planes) yoke, trim wheel and throttle quadrant (all Saitek) disconnect in mid flight.

That is either the infamous Windows 8 problem everyone suffers from, or it is to do with Windows power management, as just mentioned.

In my FSUIPC log file, the message

15674641 ***** HID USB device reconnected: re-initialising FSUIPC connections

is frequently repeated after the controls are disconnected.Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

That is surely due to bad connections or USB ports. It cannot be Windows 8 or power management.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks a lot for your reply, which helped me to get on the right track. This morning I completed a long flight without the wheel and everything worked fine. I then installed a driver update for the wheel and was able to calibrate it using FSUIPC. Previously it only showed up under "axis assignment" in FSUIPC, not under "Joystick calibration".

I will now do a test flight, hopefully the new driver resolves all issues. If not I will report back.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks:  I just installed the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel to my sim.  I was hoping it would be "plug & play" but it's not.  The wheel seems to be recognized & working and I followed "mbwilgus's" instructions for both Axis Assignments & Joystick Calibration.  I also disabled my the Elev Up & Down trim on my exisiting joystick.  After everything is setup, the wheel is still not recognized.  Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas as to what I'm missing? 

Greatful for any ideas....

Well I use the Saitek yoke.

I don't use the axis side of things to calibrate the trim wheel.

IN FSUIPC I merely use Buttons and Keys and assign elev trim up and down. Works a treat and I have never had an issue with the trim wheel using that method.

Hi Folks:  I still can't get FSUIPC or FSX to recognize my new Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel.  In Axis Assignments, FSUIPC will detect the wheel (sometimes it takes a few seconds), I can track the wheel from -16,384 to a +16,384 with a Delta of 256.  I then click "Send Direct To FSUIPC" and check "Elev Trim".  But, once back in FSX, the trim wheel in the cockpit doesn't move.  (Elev Trim worked perfectly on my joystick before I purchased the trim wheel which I've now un-programmed.)  

Based on Porthos's suggestion above, in Buttons & Keys, FSUIP won't recognize the wheel when I spin it so I don't know how to get it recognized and programmed. 

Obviously, FSUIPC will recognize the device based on others input in the forum so what am I doing wrong??? 

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Rob...

Interesting

are you certain you have disabled the axes on ALL of your TQ yolks etc in FSX??

I have the yolk, 2xTQ , rudder pedals and a 3D extreme.

you will be surprised that all of these have all the same assignments for axes etc by and large so check to ensure that each controller has that function disabled in FSX.

good luck..

Hi Folks:  Problem solved thanks to Roger Dust's help & responses.  The trick to configuring Saitek's Cessna Elevator Trim wheel is this (at least for me using Thrustmaster's HOTAS Stick & Throttle:

Just configure the wheel using "Axis Assignment" only.  Calibrate it accordingly and click "Send to FSUIPC".  DON'T make the mistake that I made and also configure the wheel in "Joystick Calibration 6 of 11 "Trim, Spoilers & Flaps"" 

It not works beautifully and smoothly. 

Thank you Roger for your help in solving this mystery! 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem with my Saitek Cessna trim wheel. I am using Windows 7 64 bit, registered version of FSUIPC 4.934. FSX Acceleration with updates installed.

I have downloaded and used the latest driver for the wheel, not the software from Saitek, and can get the wheel centered, and it moves incrementally in both directions. When I go to axis assignments, the trim goes in increments in 1 direction all the way to -16380, but when I go the other direction, when it gets to 0, it jumps all the way up to +16380. If I click the reverse box, the same happens in the opposite direction.  I tried to calibrate it using both the main page 1 and page 6 of the calibration section. I tried checking the filter box, but so far it has done no good. I have read and re-read the manual many times, followed the directions step by step. I have the joystick controls in FSX turned off, as I want FSUIPC to manage all my controls. The numbers I get in the calibration section shows -16380, +16380, -512 +512 delta at 256.

Has anyone found a new trick to get this working properly?

BTW, I also tried using the Buttons/Assignments section, but can't get the  wheel to be recognized there.

I am having the same problem with my Saitek Cessna trim wheel. I am using Windows 7 64 bit, registered version of FSUIPC 4.934. FSX Acceleration with updates installed.

I have downloaded and used the latest driver for the wheel, not the software from Saitek, and can get the wheel centered, and it moves incrementally in both directions. When I go to axis assignments, the trim goes in increments in 1 direction all the way to -16380, but when I go the other direction, when it gets to 0, it jumps all the way up to +16380

This is a regular occurring problem with Saitek devices. It is a problem with the way it gets installed and I think it has to be corrected by a Registry hack. It is nothing to do with FS or FSUIPC and can't be corrected in either, as it affects the values being supplied from Windows before either FS or FSUIPC sees them.

I'm afraid i don't know what the Registry fix is. You'll probably have to head over to the Saitek support forum and search there I'm afraid. Don't limit your search to trim wheel -- the problem has been reported with other Saitek axes too on other devices.

Pete