The simFlight Network Forums

Hi,

I am running a registered copy of version 4.90 :razz:.

I am trying to program my FSX through FSUIPC. After downloading multiple tutorials and user guides, I could succeed in many assignements but I'm now facing some situation that I am unable to find an explanation for :oops:.

1. In Buttons and Switches, it is pretty clear except the role and "way to use" the Parameter option associated to a FS Control button.

2.. While assigning to my Thrustmaster MFD Cougar the control "Heading Bug Inc" and "Heading Bug Dec", the steps are by 10 degrees. How to adjust to 1 degree when [button pressed] and more when [repeat while held] ?

3. The same question raises for Altitude and Speed Inc / Dec ?

4. What is the control to assign the Course Inc/Dec function ?

5. For Pushback I could find the control. But I would like to assign the Left and Right Pushback as well... What is the control ?

An additional question related to the flap control assignement: I strictly followed the guide to set the 7 detents of my E-175 Feelthere but when it runs, the flaps lever jumps from 1 to full and return to 4 and 5... Is there a reliable and accurate user guide explaining the adjustment "for Dummies" ?

I know that all my questions may appear simple to you, but few days of Web investigation and multiple reading made me turning quite crazy...

Merci in advance

and congratulations for your work and your availability to assist guys like me.

Bruno

Edited by Braudoux

I am running a registered copy of version 4.90

Please update to a supported version (4.929).

1. In Buttons and Switches, it is pretty clear except the role and "way to use" the Parameter option associated to a FS Control button.

You use it to provide parameters to those controls which use parameters, like all of those ending in "Set" which do set a value. If you don'ty understand the control you are assigning to, then either experiment with it to see what it does, or don't use it. 

2.. While assigning to my Thrustmaster MFD Cougar the control "Heading Bug Inc" and "Heading Bug Dec", the steps are by 10 degrees. How to adjust to 1 degree when [button pressed] and more when [repeat while held] ?

They shouldn't be increasing by 10 when pressed singly.   Are you perhaps assigning the same to both press and release? FS applies control acceleration when it sees them being used quickly. If it isn't that, maybe it's a bug in the add-on aircraft you are testing it with?

3. The same question raises for Altitude and Speed Inc / Dec ?

and the same answers apply, though you shouldn't expect the altitude to be incrementing by 1 foot!

4. What is the control to assign the Course Inc/Dec function ?

Er, the controls listed for these things ARE the FS controls, same as assigned in FS. The CRS window is also known as the OBS or OBI. Check those controls.

5. For Pushback I could find the control. But I would like to assign the Left and Right Pushback as well... What is the control ?

Same as in FS -- you start pushback and then press the 1 or 2 key. In FS the 1, 2, 3, 4 keys are assigned to "SELECT 1, 2, 3, 4.", so those are the controls you assign to. You might also get away with using 1 or 2 as the parameter for the Pushback control. I don't remember now if that works or not.

For these sorts of questions, which are really about FS not FSUIPC, you can find out what things do by trying them, and you can find out what the true FS names are for controls you can already use, by mouse click or by key press, by using FSUIPC logging. Just enable Event logging n the Logging tab, then 'events' (controls being sent to FS's sim engine) are logged by both number and name. If you (temporarily) run FS in Windowed mode and enable the console log in FSUIPC's logging tab you can see the results in real time.

An additional question related to the flap control assignement: I strictly followed the guide to set the 7 detents of my E-175 Feelthere but when it runs, the flaps lever jumps from 1 to full and return to 4 and 5.

Either it is a faulty lever or you have totally messed up the calibration. Did you actually calibrate BEFORE trying to use detentes? Why are you using detentes in any case -- does your lever have marked positions or real detentes? If not there's really no point, because you still need to guess the position to place it into. Just calibrate it like a throttle lever, etc. You oeration will be exactly the same. The detentes feature are for folks with custom made flaps levers with proper detentes.

Is there a reliable and accurate user guide explaining the adjustment "for Dummies" ?

It's called the "User Guide", and the chapter on calibration has easy to follow numbered steps to good calibration.

I know that all my questions may appear simple to you, but few days of Web investigation and multiple reading made me turning quite crazy...

Most of your questions are really about FS not specifically FSUIPC. The controls you are concerned about are all FS controls and all FSUIPC does is expose them, using the names defined by FS in its CONTROLS.DLL module. The list is generated from FS, not predefined by me, and in fact i don't even know what they all do -- I suspect some do nothing and are just remnants from MS's earlier mistakes.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

First of all, thanks for your answers. You're right, most of them are FS related and I'm sorry for that.

I have updated to 4.929, and it is fine.

1. For the Parameter option, it became clear once you explained the Pushback 1 (left) and 2 (right). I tried and actually it reacts (but not really as I would...)

2. Without any action from my side, once FSX was reloaded today, degrees and speed were properly incremented with an appropriate value (< 10...)

3. Same

4. For the Course, OBI did the job. Sorry but it was not obvious for me :oops:. I did try so many possibilities (NAV etc... ) except OBI

5. For Pushback Left and Right, I did use the Key Press option referring to the keyboard, and that works fine...

So again thanks for your extensive help...I need now to concentrate on the flaps, spoilers and throttles by following the "user Guide"...

Best regards

Bruno