The simFlight Network Forums

New user questions

I have a registered copy of 4.931. I have read the user manual and some of the advanced. And I have some questions before starting to use. My intent is to use fsuipc for all of my control interfaces.

1.profile vs aircraft name. Is this an option? The manual reads like the profile is the new system with discussion of aircraft name limited to how to convert to profiles. The reason I ask is there are references to the aircraft name system in the advanced manual and I wanted to be sure I don't give up some advanced methods by using profiles?

2 Keyboard Commands. I understand that control axis and buttons can the totally done in fsuipc and the controls can be disabled in Prepar3d v2.2 to eliminate conflicts and saved as profile specific. My question is about keyboard commands. When you disable controls in p3d, does that also change or remove any of the keyboard assignments? If not, does fsuipc just add to or replace the standard ones? Are any new keyboard assignments added to the standard p3d ones to create a profile specific set?

3 third party configuration programs. My first aircraft is the A2A C172. There is a input configuration tool included with the plane that allows you to assign some functions (batt and alt switch) that are not accessible in p3d or fsuipc. My research says that using this tool allows those functions to be add to the Spad program for switch panel control. If I use this tool will it interfere with using fsuipc for all others.

I hope these questions were not generated because of my misunderstanding of what I have read or worse yet because I didn't read enough. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

1.profile vs aircraft name. Is this an option? The manual reads like the profile is the new system with discussion of aircraft name limited to how to convert to profiles. The reason I ask is there are references to the aircraft name system in the advanced manual and I wanted to be sure I don't give up some advanced methods by using profiles?

For many years the system was based only on aircraft names. The Profile system, which is much easier to use and more versatile, was added later, and eventually became the default for new users. The manual was adapted to deal with both and help the very many earlier users change over.

Stay with profiles.

2 Keyboard Commands. I understand that control axis and buttons can the totally done in fsuipc and the controls can be disabled in Prepar3d v2.2 to eliminate conflicts and saved as profile specific. My question is about keyboard commands. When you disable controls in p3d, does that also change or remove any of the keyboard assignments?

No: whatever keyboard assignments exist in P3D will still be the same unless you change them. If you assign the same keypresses in FSUIPC to other things, they will take precedence as FSUIPC intercepts them before P3D sees them. It would do this for buttons and axes if it could, but any number of users can access USB devices at the same time.

If not, does fsuipc just add to or replace the standard ones?

Neither. It just does what you tell it to do. If you don't assign any keypresses in FSUIPC, it does not obey any because they aren't so programmed.

Are any new keyboard assignments added to the standard p3d ones to create a profile specific set?

Only if you actually assign them. FSUIPC doesn't do anything all by itself. It's a tool. You decide what you want to do, not FSUIPC.

3 third party configuration programs. My first aircraft is the A2A C172. There is a input configuration tool included with the plane that allows you to assign some functions (batt and alt switch) that are not accessible in p3d or fsuipc. My research says that using this tool allows those functions to be add to the Spad program for switch panel control. If I use this tool will it interfere with using fsuipc for all others.

Not if the assignments you make that way are specific to the Profile you create for that aircraft.

Pete