The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and custom applications

I have a newbie question. After researching a way to interface custom applications with a flight simulator, I found the FSUIPC/FSX combination showing up the most. Here's what I am trying to do:

I work for a major avionics developer, and in the process of developing a hand-held device (like an EFB), and would like to test it in a simulated environment. I understand FSUIPC allow me to access many parameters of FSX using GPSout, and also will push messages to FSX. But is it possible to use FSUIPC to connect to such a device either over a USB cable or wireless network (on the same domain, not workgroup)? By connect I mean, can I intercept the message traffic and use those updates in my own application using a TCP/IP socket class?

I assume I must intercept the packets being broadcast by FSUIPC and WideFS, but haven't found any tutorials or examples of anyone reading the message traffic and interrogating it on any protocol. 

Also, I have purchased FSX, FSUIPC4 with WideFS and have them running, but after playing with it and reading all of the documentation haven't found a description of my issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Tom

But is it possible to use FSUIPC to connect to such a device either over a USB cable or wireless network (on the same domain, not workgroup)? By connect I mean, can I intercept the message traffic and use those updates in my own application using a TCP/IP socket class?

I assume I must intercept the packets being broadcast by FSUIPC and WideFS, but haven't found any tutorials or examples of anyone reading the message traffic and interrogating it on any protocol. 

There's no "packets". FSUIPC is not a hardware driver. You need to write your own driver and include an interface to FSUIPC to read/write FS data. Please download the FSUIPC SDK for details.

Pete