The simFlight Network Forums

Tiller connectable WITHOUT (whatever) axis card?

Dear Pete,

I would really be grateful if you could help me before I get insane...

I have a 737 home cockpit here based on

FSX and PM (GC & PMsystems),

CPFlight MCP, EFIS and radios,

DIY OHP backed up by Open Cockpits cards (Spain) running under their SIOC language

and rudders / yokes / throttle by Cockpitsonic (Germany)

and ... FSUIPC (licensed since 2006, upgraded to v4.x last year) ... of course :).

To my surprise everything is working quite well so far in spite of that mixture of systems. Beside one thing:

I can't get a tiller (hardware by Open Cockpits - a poti, not more, but nice...) connected to FSX :(.

I was stupid enough to believe that connecting the tiller's poti to an unused analogic input of one of these Open Cockpits cards and assigning the respecting value (0...255) by means of a snippet of SIOC script via FSUIPC would do the job.

It doesn't...

I read a lot about tillers in this forum and others.

I read about offsets in your FSUIPC documentations like $0C08 and $3BC4.

All my experiments with these offsets would NOT work.

At last, when I saw one of your answers in another thread

<quote>

"FSX does have a steering control. I don't know whether it works well or not, having never tried it. the FSUIPC tiller uses the FS rudder control as that was always the only way to steer."

<quote>

and read about effectivity of tiller vs. rudders at certain ground speeds, I tried $0BBA (FSX rudders) but there seems to be a collision with the values delivered by the Cockpisonic rudders which come with their own driver.

So, please, Pete:

Is there ANY way to connect my tiller without an axis card?

Via which offset could I tell FSX to cooperate with me?

Do I have to learn one more programming language for that (SIOC was hard enough...)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Peter

Is there ANY way to connect my tiller without an axis card?

Via which offset could I tell FSX to cooperate with me?

Do I have to learn one more programming language for that (SIOC was hard enough...)?

How can you get an axis value into FS without some analogue to digital conversion circuitry to do it? Surely, if it an Open Cockpits tiller and you are using Open Cockpits cards then everything should work together okay. Don't they provide instructions or support?

If you can get an axis value in which looks like an axis input, you can simply assign it.

if you are using software which needs to write the value to an offset then certainly 0C08 is fine as also is 3BC4, but note that 3BC4 provides an axis which needs assigning. It isn't automatic unless you are using the PFC driver for PFC hardware for which that area of offsets was designed.

0C08 really needs a pre-calibrated axis, operating -16384 to +16384.. I'm not sure you can do much with a 0-255 value, unlike 3BC4 which normally operates with 0-127 for PFC devices.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you so much for answering that fast!

...note that 3BC4 provides an axis which needs assigning. It isn't automatic unless you are using the PFC driver for PFC hardware for which that area of offsets was designed.

OK. Checked. I thought so anyway but other "experts" in other forums made me doubting.

As for $0C08: I will try this one. It is no problem to calculate values 1...255 (delivered by A/D onboard this Open Cockpits card) to -16384...+16384 by means of SIOC.

I'll let you know about the results.

Kind Regards,

Peter