The simFlight Network Forums

PSX Aerowinx 747-400 - PFC drives

Hi,

any chance that you Pete will write drivers for PFC serial hardware as a bridge to this amazing stand alone simulator Aerowinx PSX 747-400 available since two weeks and back in the market after so many years. I'm sure it's not only me who is really willing to pay for it.

Kind regards,

Carsten

Sorry, no way can I take on more work. It's bad enough still having to develop FSUIPC for Prepar3D after all these years!

I'm sure there are others out there who'll take it on if that sim is popular. I remember when I had it (or was it PS/2 back then?), someone did an interface to it for FS, so you could combine its faithful cockpit programming with FS's external graphics.

Now with the likes of really sophisticated and accurate cockpit renditions that PMDG produce, and of course the cockpit builder's software such as ProSim, SimAvionics and Project Magenta, I thing Aerowinx and PS/2 resurrections will really not be so much needed.

Maybe you should ask the chap who did the FSUIPC type interface for X-Plane?

Anyway, all of PFC's new hardware is standard USB stuff, so new/revised sims that support actual joysticks should be okay this it.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks.

A few comments to your answer:

Both simulators (PMDG and PSX) are not in direct competition - not saying one is better. Just a remark I can confirm and have seen from others, that both sims are really different e.g. PSX is modelling the circuit breakers, PMDG don't. This points to an underlying philosophical difference in the approach to systems - PSX is simulating the systems. PMDG is simulating the output of the systems. What is the difference? Probably very little if you are just jumping in and flying - but if you want to play with the engineering aspects and deeply understand the systems of the 744 the difference is huge.

And this from my point of view is needed in this market by many professionals especially cockpit builders, airlines and real pilots.

My point was only whether you are supportive with a new PSXUIPC :-)

Kind regards,

Carsten

Both simulators (PMDG and PSX) are not in direct competition

Of course not. They are aimed differently. Always were -- PS/2 and Aerowinx. I ran PS/2 alongside FS in the old days.

PSX is simulating the systems. PMDG is simulating the output of the systems. What is the difference?

There's a lot of difference when things go abnormal. This is why I don't use PMDG but a combination of Project Magenta and TSR and my own systems software to make my cockpit as realistic as possible in pretty much all circumstances. And projects like ProSim were actually built from the system flow side of things upwards, not from the top down. All I'm saying is that there is the wherewithall to do it as good now AND have the graphics and scenery and weather and other lovely add-ons.

My point was only whether you are supportive with a new PSXUIPC  :smile:

I have no objection whatsoever to someone taking on such a development. It just won't be me. I don't want more work at my age (71 next week), but less. It's time i actually used my simulator and finished my model railway .... and go on more overseas steam train trips, of course! ;-)

Regards

Pete