The simFlight Network Forums

New user and some questions

Hi,

I bought FSUIPC 2 days ago just because of the fact that I wanted to control my PMDG 777 exterior lights. After looking at some tutorials I thought this would be a piece of cake but after 2 days no luck so far.

Is there anyone out there that could either direct me to the correct info or tell me what I need to do? If so it is much appreciated and I can sent you a piece of pie no matter where you are ;)

I bought FSUIPC 2 days ago just because of the fact that I wanted to control my PMDG 777 exterior lights. After looking at some tutorials I thought this would be a piece of cake but after 2 days no luck so far.

Is there anyone out there that could either direct me to the correct info or tell me what I need to do? If so it is much appreciated and I can sent you a piece of pie no matter where you are ;)

I doubt very much that the PMDG 777 provides any way for a program designed to work with FSX's own controls can operate it's independently programmed systems. For the PMDG 737NGX they published an SDK which allowed me to map data to FSUIPC offsets for display. They implemented their own controls, outside of the normal FS range, to control all sorts of things, including lights -- FSUIPC supports these as "custom controls", but for these you need to work out the control number to use from the information in the NGX SDK.

So, does the PMDG 777 also come with an SDK and equivalent information? I don't know, I'm afraid. Maybe there will be someone who can help in PMDG's own relevant forum?

Pete

I doubt very much that the PMDG 777 provides any way for a program designed to work with FSX's own controls can operate it's independently programmed systems. For the PMDG 737NGX they published an SDK which allowed me to map data to FSUIPC offsets for display. They implemented their own controls, outside of the normal FS range, to control all sorts of things, including lights -- FSUIPC supports these as "custom controls", but for these you need to work out the control number to use from the information in the NGX SDK.

So, does the PMDG 777 also come with an SDK and equivalent information? I don't know, I'm afraid. Maybe there will be someone who can help in PMDG's own relevant forum?

Pete

Well that's a dissapointment as now I have a program I can't use for what I wanted it to be used for :) thanks for the reply though

Well that's a dissapointment as now I have a program I can't use for what I wanted it to be used for :) thanks for the reply though

Well, you might be able to do what you want, but I don't know. I don't have the 777, sorry. You'd need to research with other users and with whatever PMDG provides. I can help you do what you want to do once you have the information about how the lights are controlled.

I don't know where you got the impression that FSUIPC supported facilities in every possible add-on to FS. It is primarily an interface into FS for external programs to get information and control those things FS does, not other add-ons, and secondarily a way of assigning and calibrating switches and joysticks and other controls more flexibly than can be done with FS alone. The program can be installed and the documentation read before purchase, so that is the best way to understand what it can do.

Pete

Well, you might be able to do what you want, but I don't know. I don't have the 777, sorry. You'd need to research with other users and with whatever PMDG provides. I can help you do what you want to do once you have the information about how the lights are controlled.

I don't know where you got the impression that FSUIPC supported facilities in every possible add-on to FS. It is primarily an interface into FS for external programs to get information and control those things FS does, not other add-ons, and secondarily a way of assigning and calibrating switches and joysticks and other controls more flexibly than can be done with FS alone. The program can be installed and the documentation read before purchase, so that is the best way to understand what it can do.

Pete

I posted the question at Avsim, hope someone has an idea :) I should have paid more attention to what the program can do, I was indeed under the impression it gave you more control over the planes as in programming switches :)