The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Crashes After Initialization Screen

Up until today, I had a perfectly good and working installation of FSX (and FSUIPC)--that is until I somehow removed my FSX.bat or some such file and started down the path of recreating it.

Along the path to recreating it, I ran across this thread: 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446395-weekend-project-startup-batch-files/.

In it, there is a post that says I could use FSUIPC to start and stop programs that I use to supplement my FSX installation. The post made reference to the FSUIPC.ini file, so I looked inside and saw this:

[Programs]
runif1=ready,C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe
runif2=ready,C:\Users\lfeic_000\Desktop\FSX Programs\FSXWX.exe
!1=runif3-ready,C:\Fraps\fraps.exe

This looked familiar and I thought I understood it, so I thought I could just add another line to add my installation of Plan-G v3.1.1. To this end, I added a line and it looked like this:

[Programs]
runif4=ready,C:\Program Files (x86)\Plan-G v3.1.1\Plan-G3.exe

Well, so much for thinking I know what I'm doing, because FSX crashed upon the first attempt to start. I went back into the .ini file and removed what I'd added, but FSX still crashed. So, I ran the Install FSUIPC.exe to reinstall; thinking I'd managed to corrupt something. After dealing with the SimConnect "trust" bug a few times, I am now able to get to the FSX start screen where I can load flights, missions, etc. However, once I initiate a flight, FSX loads the aircraft and airport, but then crashes with the error message:

Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

EZdok camera seems to have loaded (an icon appears in the Task Bar), but nothing else. 

I continue to research what may have happened, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.

Thanks!
NoClue

In it, there is a post that says I could use FSUIPC to start and stop programs that I use to supplement my FSX installation. The post made reference to the FSUIPC.ini file, so I looked inside and saw this:

[Programs]

Well, that last line is not executed. The !1= in front of it makes it a comment -- i.e. this user has commented out the running of "fraps".

This looked familiar and I thought I understood it, so I thought I could just add another line to add my installation of Plan-G v3.1.1. To this end, I added a line and it looked like this:

[Programs]
runif4=ready,C:\Program Files (x86)\Plan-G v3.1.1\Plan-G3.exe

So,  you also just happen to have TrackIR and FSXWX also installed, and in the same folders as this other user? Coincidence?

The extra run looks okay, if that's where your "Plan-G3" program is.

Well, so much for thinking I know what I'm doing, because FSX crashed upon the first attempt to start. I went back into the .ini file and removed what I'd added, but FSX still crashed.

So the crash is nothing whatsoever to do with these lnes, because they all have the "ready" keyword, which means those programs will not be started until FS is ready to fly. In fact the lines will not be processed during FS initialisation.

So, I ran the Install FSUIPC.exe to reinstall; thinking I'd managed to corrupt something.

There is nothing in FSUIPC's INI you can corrupt which will cause a crash. And in any case, all re-installing does is replace the FSUIPC4.DLL module with the same FSUIPC4.DLL module. It changes no settings, nothing else. It wil replace your FSUIPC Documents, but they don't play any part in running FS.

After dealing with the SimConnect "trust" bug a few times, I am now able to get to the FSX start screen where I can load flights, missions, etc. However, once I initiate a flight, FSX loads the aircraft and airport, but then crashes with the error message:

Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Ah, so that is more likely a problem with one of the programs you are now trying to load -- or did you still leave the [Programs] section out of FSUIPC's INI file?

I continue to research what may have happened, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.

Well, from an FSUIPC point of view, the first thing to do is look at the FSUIPC4.LOG file, to see how far it got. Maybe the clue is right there.

Since FSUIPC is not loading Ezdok, I assume you have programs and modules being loaded by SimConnect via the EXE.XML and DLL.XML files. You might also need to look at those, to see if all of those loaded and if not which one it failed on.

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply, Pete.

Sorry, I should have said that I looked inside MY FSUIPC.ini; the content referred to is from MY .ini.  :oops:

I left the other programs in the .ini file--the Plan-G line is removed

I'm off to look into the log file.

Thanks, again

NC

DOH! [smacks self in the forehead] :oops:

So long as I run the fsx.exe - Shortcut with "Run as administrator" permissions, all is well. 

So sorry to have wasted your time, Pete.

I continue to rue the day I installed my FSX program in the default directory! But alas, I am too far down the path to change it...

^^^I think I'll make that my signature...

Thanks again for the prompt reply earlier. 

P. S. What is "FSUIPC" the acronym for?

P. S. What is "FSUIPC" the acronym for?

Flight Sim Universal Inter-Process Communicator.

Not my choice of name, really. It derives from Adam Szofran's names "FS5IPC" and "FS6IPC".  The original purpose of these was to provide access into FS's inner variables, for display or control, by add-on external programs. This is also FSUIPC's main function, and the part which has always been free -- the pay part is the added User Facilities.

Adam did not maintain his FSxIPC module after FS98, and when I did the first replacement I decided to retain the same interface for all subsequent versions of FS, so allowing continual compatibility for add-ons. (Adam's modules required revising add-ons for each version). Hence "Universal" instead of "FS5, FS6 ...".

Pete