The simFlight Network Forums

FSX:SE g3d.dll error is back...

I'm afraid I still don't like P3D enough to move over. It doesn't look so good to me, and performance is worse on my system.

I've never had an OOM problem. Maybe because I don't have any cockpit -- my cockpit is all hardware, so nothing on screen. And for my FSX-SE is quite significantly faster, so much so that I can shove more sliders up. However, I'm waiting on ASN because I'm not going anywhere without it's quality weather and WX Radar in Prosim737.

Odd than in all these years I've never had any real errors in FSX which I couldn't track down to video drivers or bad scenery / texture files. And then only a couple of handfuls in all 8-9 years of FSX. Lucky I suppose, plus the fact that I only fly one aircraft -- a 737 based on the default -- and without it's graphics cockpit. I've got lots and lots of sceneries, especially airports, but again only in Europe and near-Europe Middle East and North Africa. Still not gotten around to flying to them all! ;-)

Pete

Hi Pete,

P3Dv2,4 looks really good for me - except I really miss PMDG at this party - which probably explains my OOM's in FSX.....

PMDG 777 + ASN + FSG2010 + + + + Demanding Airport Addons = OOM eaven at moderate settings.... which brings me to the point of not buying any scenery anymore, because if I can't see the eyecandy - no sence of buying it then. 

I do believe that a full cockpit vs VC makes a huge difference........

and with the errors, well in good old FSX I had them more or less cured except the OOM's if I got a little to optimistic on my settings....

but funnily the pills (solutions) I had for good old FSX, didn't work in FSX:SE - you're right I'm sure its down to scenery/texture/traffic files - but I'm just sick and tired chasing them down - because as I said - the old cures that worked in FSX, Don't in FSX:SE - and I do suggest that some of the scenery files that where excellently written for FSX - might cause trouble in FSX:SE.....

+

P3Dv2,4 runns at least as stable as FSX:SE - actually a lot better...... and devs are catching up on P3D scenery, whereas for SE they are still wondering what happend to FSX......

Anyway - thanks for your help and if you fly into RW16 at Vienna 10,8nm on the Glideslope - wave out of your cockpit.... and I'll wave back.....

regards

Richi

I've looked at the code in Steam's G3D.DLL for both this place and the previous one, reported earlier in the thread (which was different).  Neither are in any way related to the same bug I patched in FSX and P3D. These two appear to be just other examples or the many we had reported in FSX, none of which were patchable.

Please just report all of them in the FSX-SE forum on Steam.

Ah, too bad.

Thanks for looking at it anyway.

I have seen something that causes me real concern with FSX-SE.

In an attempt to track down the cuase of some severe stuttering conditions I 'switched on' the MissingLibraryAlert and ShowMissingTextureAlert flags in the FSX-SE,cfg file.

On launch of my aircraft at one of my very frequently used airports I was immediately 'hit' with multiple missing DDS texture alerts for secenery objects in a number of addon WWII military airfields in the UK.

Looking into this I discovered that the missing textures were, in fact, present in one of the addon, activated  libraries, Looking into this further I keyed on the fact that the 'missing reports' listed the texture names in all upper case while the actual texture file names were all lower case while

the BGL file in the library shows the texture names to be upper case.

I changed the names of a couple of the files to all upper case and the missing reports for those textures went away!!  This leads me to believe that there is a significant difference between FSX and FSX-SE in the realm of texture file searches

The exact same conditions in FSX do NOT yield any of the missing texture alerts in FSX.

If missing textures do, indeed, contrigute to G3D.dll errors, then this apparent inconsistancy may be a factor.

I haven't dug into this phenomena further as I had to move on to other issues but will revisit it to verify that this 'case sensitive' anomaly is actually present in FSX-SE.

Paul

There are actually a number of case sensitivity issues in FSX - Burkhard has had to deal with a fair few within the MyTrafficX folder structure and P3D is even less tolerant. It sounds almost like whatever DTG have done is the same as L-M did with P3D.

Whose libraries are causing the problems? Unfortunately there are a large number of WW2 scenery object libraries and only one of them is mine to be able to fix that one at source... I will keep an eye on it with mine, though, so thanks for the warning.

Ian P.

There are actually a number of case sensitivity issues in FSX - Burkhard has had to deal with a fair few within the MyTrafficX folder structure and P3D is even less tolerant. It sounds almost like whatever DTG have done is the same as L-M did with P3D.

Whose libraries are causing the problems? Unfortunately there are a large number of WW2 scenery object libraries and only one of them is mine to be able to fix that one at source... I will keep an eye on it with mine, though, so thanks for the warning.

Ian P.

Ian, I was spawning at Bassingbourn using the 91st BG's latest version. The library objects with the reported 'missing textures' appeare to be in the Hobbs AAF folder.

I changed these 4 to uppercase and the missing reports for those disappeared. I stopped testing at that point.

WC-51_CRASH_TRUCK.DDS

GMC-CCKW-353.DDS

WC-51_OPEN.DDS

CRASHTRUCK_SPEC.DDS

I was just sitting on Rwy 30 at UKBA having just spawned there when I started to receive a flood of reports. Axtually I THINK I may have started to see them as soon as I hit "Fly" and before I showed up on the runway.

Just flying around in the area I was encountering multiple stutters that made flying in FSX-SE pretty much impossible for any useful purpose.

The only stutters I percieved flying the same area in FSX was due to some issure with my installed Mildenhall scenery. After I removed the BGL's related to that field, the stutters disappeared.

Paul

There are already two discussions related to crashes caused by .dlls in the Steam forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/627457481714721954/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820864760138/

Most of these are caused by using certain ORBX products, which doesn't hold true in my case.

What's interesting is, however, that using Bojote's online fsx.cfg tweaker actually cured most of these crashes!

I've applied most of Bojote's tweaks to my fsx.cfg and repeated the flight that crashed on my the last time. I've arrived at my destination an hour later. No crash, nothing.

Weird...

- Edit:

Further discussion can take place here to avoid producing unrelated clutter in Pete's forum:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459387-fsxse-terraing3ddll-related-crashes/

On launch of my aircraft at one of my very frequently used airports I was immediately 'hit' with multiple missing DDS texture alerts for secenery objects in a number of addon WWII military airfields in the UK.

Looking into this I discovered that the missing textures were, in fact, present in one of the addon, activated  libraries, Looking into this further I keyed on the fact that the 'missing reports' listed the texture names in all upper case while the actual texture file names were all lower case while

the BGL file in the library shows the texture names to be upper case.

I've just tested this on two or three FSX native and FS9 portover sceneries in FSXSE. All popup text boxes were related to textures that are indeed missing from the scenery folder. One of the portover sceneries contains texture files whose names are entirely in lower caps and FSXSE does not complain about them.

It has always been the rule for MSFS models that the case of the file name (upper/lower) does not matter as long as the name itself is correct and correctly referenced by the model. If this wan't true anymore after a mere recompile, then FSXSE shouldn't be able to run at all.

Edited by Bjoern2

-SNIP-

It has always been the rule for MSFS models that the case of the file name (upper/lower) does not matter as long as the name itself is correct and correctly referenced by the model. If this wan't true anymore after a mere recompile, then FSXSE shouldn't be able to run at all.

The 'case' that I submitted above relates to the texture names in the BGL itself being Upper Case while the DDS file names of those textures were lower case. What appears to be the issue is the file search is now case sensitive...the texture name and case in BGL's must match the name and case of the actual texture file.

I've not continued inverstigating this phenomena as I am tending to think I shall not be using FSX-SE much, if at all, beyond compatibility testing of addons in a beta environment. I can't use it to fly online at Digital Theme Park and I don't do any flying other than testing when not online.

Paul

EDIT: I have just revisited this issue and have found that there is something else happening here with my FSX-SE install. The 4 files that I had previously changed to upper case are now still being flagged as missing. I did note that each time I started the sim the missing texture reports came out in a different order. This apparently happened when I did my initial test of changing the case on the 4 files and restarted the sim. When those 4 were not flagged when I stepped through the first few missing messages, thus leading me to believe that I had 'fixed the problem'. Not so. I now have no clue as to why texture files that are present in an active scenery folder are being flagged as 'missing'.

The 'case' that I submitted above relates to the texture names in the BGL itself being Upper Case while the DDS file names of those textures were lower case. What appears to be the issue is the file search is now case sensitive...the texture name and case in BGL's must match the name and case of the actual texture file.

That would be very strange indeed, as there are no file-related facilities in Windows  which are case sensitive, and I cannot imagine that FSX-SE code has been changed to bypass the Windows file access system and burrow down to privileged levels with specific disk access drivers. It would make no sense. I think there must be another explanation for the problem. Maybe they read complete directories into memory then do their own search, entry by entry, mistakenly using a case-sensitive comparison, but this would seem to be counterproductive if all they need to do is load the file.

Even if you don't want to investigate further, it would be a good idea to report your findings to DTG (via the relevant Steam forum I assume).

Pete

It might also be worth, if you are going to do that, looking at Burkhard's MyTrafficX forum and seeing whether you can find the discussion of case-sensitivity problems there. It was quite a while ago, now, so may be difficult to find though.

The Hobbs scenery was done by Larry "Tako Kichi" Green, so it might be worth dropping him a message, maybe via the A2A forums or SOH if you frequent there, to let him know about this and see if he can make them match 'at source' and see if that fixes the problem. If you'd rather not, I will.

Cheers,

Ian P.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: The source for my g3d.dll crash seemed to have been a corrupted AI .mdl file. No more crashing so far after I've fixed that.

(That's probably why g3d spat out an "ACCESS VIOLATION" error. Even ModelConverterX crashed when trying to open said AI model.)

Hi Richi

I have the same problem, I used to get them in FSX boxed version which FSUIPC cured but unfortunately Peter has not been able to apply the same fix to SE.

So far, after several days of trying to cure the problem, I uninstalled ORBX England and had a full day without errors, I have not seen anyone on the orbx forums having the same problems so it is not a product wide problem.

Steve

Steve - thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was close to losing my mind and burning FSX-SE as it was crashing all the time no matter what I did.

Since deactivating England (why didn't I think of that?), I can fly for hours and hours on end from mega airport to mega airport without it skipping a beat.

I'm almost ready to drop P#D2.4 now :-)

Regards Kym

Steve - thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was close to losing my mind and burning FSX-SE as it was crashing all the time no matter what I did.

Since deactivating England (why didn't I think of that?), I can fly for hours and hours on end from mega airport to mega airport without it skipping a beat.

I'm almost ready to drop P#D2.4 now :smile:

Regards Kym

Pleased it was of some help :smile: 

Steve