The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.938c is needed for FSX-Steam Edition with January update

I've released FSUIPC 4.938c which works with FSX, P3D and FSX-SE. The change from version 4.938b is only that it works with both the original, December 2014, release of FSX-SE, and also the update in January 2015.

The update is available here, in the Download Links subforum, and also on the main Schiratti "Dowson" page even though the latter descriptive text may be out of date.

[LATER]

The current version is now 4.938d, with some additional facilities and corrections. In partucular the wind smoothing option is now fully enabled.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I purchased full version of FSUIPC 4 (PID=2068) in October 2014.

I am running FSX Gold with millions of add ons, I am not even sure what the Steam Edition is...

Do I need to update to FSUIPC 4.938c?

If so, can I use the same installation key I received with my original purchase?

many thanks

I purchased full version of FSUIPC 4 (PID=2068) in October 2014.

I am running FSX Gold with millions of add ons, I am not even sure what the Steam Edition is...

If you don't know, it doesn't really matter.

Do I need to update to FSUIPC 4.938c?

It's always best if you keep up to date. Installing a new version only updates the program, fixing bugs and adding facilities. It won't change your settings and you don't need to re-register. If you ever need support I would always first check to see that you were up to date as I cannot support old versions.
If so, can I use the same installation key I received with my original purchase?

You don't need to re-register unless you reinstalled Windows or moved to another PC. You paid for FSUIPC4, not a specific release of FSUIPC4. You can apply all updates to it for no extra.

Pete

many thanks

Pete - this may not be the right place - but a quick vote of thanks for your continuing work on FSUIPC. I've been using it for so long I just take it for granted. Keep taking the tablets! :lol:

To stay on topic - I've always upgraded as soon as I've heard of a new version. Touch wood, I haven't been caught out yet.

Adam.

Hi Peter,  Following a defective uninstall I lost many add ons from FSX including FSUIPC4 purchased May 2013, fortunately I have a record of the key. FSX has now been uninstalled and I prefer a clean instal of FSX SE. 

Please advise should I reinstall v4 and then instal 4.938c over this or is it possible to use 4.938c only and activate with the original key?

Is there any risk that corrupted entries from the original version remain on the drive? If they could remain is there a method of removing these?  For info FSX was installed on a separate drive to the OS.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Please advise should I reinstall v4 and then instal 4.938c over this or is it possible to use 4.938c only and activate with the original key?

Not sure what you mean by "v4". FSUIPC 4.938c IS v4, there are no other current "v4's". Just use the 4.938c installer. The original version 4.000 has not existed or been supported for years!

Is there any risk that corrupted entries from the original version remain on the drive? 

What sort of "entries"? All there is of FSUIPC is in the FS Modules folder, no where else at all. It does NOT spread itself about! The Modules folder contains the DLL plus your registration KEY, plue your settings (INI file) and any Macro and Lua files you might be using. There's also an FSUIPC Documents folder containing all the documentation and Lua examples.

Pete

Thank you Pete for the prompt reply and it's good news that I only need to instal version 4.938c to go Steam.  I have no modules folder it went with the uninstal of FSX.  Using the W7 search I have 3 pdf documents and 2 x  FSUIPC4 Loader.dll's.  Is it adviseable to remove these dll's?

Brian

Thank you Pete for the prompt reply and it's good news that I only need to instal version 4.938c to go Steam.  I have no modules folder it went with the uninstal of FSX.  Using the W7 search I have 3 pdf documents and 2 x  FSUIPC4 Loader.dll's.  Is it adviseable to remove these dll's?

If you have no Modules folder, where on Earth are those files? Certainly FSUIPC's installer only ever puts files into the Modules folder, which it will create for you. It doesn't care about files in other folders.

Pete

Pete, Using the W7 search finds 15 entries for FSUIPC. Where there are folders I have opened them. There is no modules folder but I am not saying there was not one.  Here is the complete search result:

Documents (4)  FSUIPC4  User Guide pdf.

dll.xms

cc_20150113_144511.reg

cc_20150110_151655.reg

Files (11)         FSUIPC  4921p Changes pdf.

FSUIPC4 (1) zip

Install FSUIPC 490 folder

FSUIPC(1)             folder

Installing and Registering FSUIPC 4 pdf.

FSUIPC4 Loader.dll

Installing and Registering FSUIPC 4 pdf.

Install FSUIPC 490 zip

FSUIPC4 Loader .dll

FSUIPC 4 zip

The eleventh and missing entry is a pdf. explaining how to configure yoke and pedals using the utility. 

The background to this was an uninstall of REX soft clouds.  An email from the vendor advised uninstall of v1 and install of a new version. I used the RSC uninstall tab the process started and then paused requesting confirmation that the icon was still visable.  It was so I confimed.  The uninstall recommenced but then hung I pressed cancel the tab greyed out but the screen remained.  After considerable time 30mins. plus the process completed.  Various add ons had been removed some completely and others had missing short cuts and/or icons.  I have been over this with REX who can't help.  They advise I should have used the update tab but that was not the instruction from Simmarket.  I have now removed FSX and am deleting payware intending to reinstall as much as I can.

Sorry to tie up your time on a problem not caused by FSUIPC but before going further I would like your advice.  Should I delete everything FSUIPC and try to reinstall and register again or leave what little remains?

If you have any suggestions where/ how I should look further please advise.  You will have gathered I'm no techie only a simple punter who pays for his addons.

Thanks

Brian.

Using the W7 search finds 15 entries for FSUIPC. Where there are folders I have opened them. There is no modules folder but I am not saying there was not one.  Here is the complete search result:

Well, nothing of mine EVER puts anything anywhere but the FS Modules folder. I don't know where you got those files, but they are nothing whatsoever to do with anything of mine!

If you have any suggestions where/ how I should look further please advise.

Look further for what? What on Earth are you looking for?

Pete

Pete,

I assume this is because of the new version of SimConnect? A fresh install now will get you 10.0.62608.0 with 10.0.62607.0 nowhere to be found, which is really quite irritating as a software developer. I can see this becoming a real point of grief if I have to release a new version of my application every time Dovetail does an update. The best idea I've been able to come up with is to include manifests for the next few versions on the assumption that they will continue to increase the number incrementally. I've yet to find any way to get Windows to just load whatever version is available which would certainly make life easier. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

Chris

I assume this is because of the new version of SimConnect?

Not sure what "is because of ..."? FSUIPC has to be modified each time there's a new release because the position of the places it hooks, inside FS code, changes. The SimConnect version is trivial by comparison.

A fresh install now will get you 10.0.62608.0 with 10.0.62607.0 nowhere to be found, which is really quite irritating as a software developer. I can see this becoming a real point of grief if I have to release a new version of my application every time Dovetail does an update.

Surely most SimConnect apps aim at a particular version of SimConnect. like the SP1 or SP2 build. I'm still using some apps which only work with the original, 60905, version. This isn't a problem as long as the end user knows he needs to run the relevant SimConnect.msi. They are still all included with the FSX-SE install, in the SDK folder's "LegacyInterface". In facyt a third party installer could rely on that and run the relevant installer ready.

FSUIPC can use any version of SimConnect it knows about. For P3D I had to build my own SimConnect DLL ("SimConnectP3Dv2.dll") and install it in the Modules folder with FSUIPC, as Lockheed-Martin decided not to install any SimConnect DLLs at all and just expect developers to build the library into their code. If you have a dedicated P3D-only program that works fine, of course, but I wanted the one build of FSUIPC to work with all.

The best idea I've been able to come up with is to include manifests for the next few versions on the assumption that they will continue to increase the number incrementally. I've yet to find any way to get Windows to just load whatever version is available which would certainly make life easier. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter

I don't use Manifests, or the automatic side-by-side mechanism. I just determine what versions are installed (by looking in the WinSxS folder), and choose the one I want to interface to -- normally the latest one which is compatible with the version of FS I find I'm running with. I link dynamically to all of the SimConnect functions, not statically.

Pete

Not sure what "is because of ..."? FSUIPC has to be modified each time there's a new release because the position of the places it hooks, inside FS code, changes. The SimConnect version is trivial by comparison.

Ah, of course. I forgot about all the extra trickery that FSUIPC has to do.

Surely most SimConnect apps aim at a particular version of SimConnect. like the SP1 or SP2 build. I'm still using some apps which only work with the original, 60905, version. This isn't a problem as long as the end user knows he needs to run the relevant SimConnect.msi. They are still all included with the FSX-SE install, in the SDK folder's "LegacyInterface". In facyt a third party installer could rely on that and run the relevant installer ready.

In my application I bundle separate manifests for the RTM, SP1 and SP2 versions of SimConnect and attempt to create activation contexts at runtime until one of them works. It's really a wonder how Microsoft has managed to make DLL loading so overly-complicated with WinSxS.

FSUIPC can use any version of SimConnect it knows about. For P3D I had to build my own SomConnect DLL and install it in the Modules folder with FSUIPC, as Lockheed-Martin decided not to install any SimConnect DLLs at all and just expect developers to build the library into ther code. If you have a dedicated P3D-only program that works, of course, but I wanted the one build of FSUIPC to work with all.

That's interesting. I've never used Prepar3D, but I know people successfully use my application with it. I always assumed it installed the FSX versions of SimConnect, but I guess everyone who has it working just has the original FSX installed alongside it. How is SimConnect distributed with P3D if not as a DLL? Is it a static library?

I don't use Manifests, or the automatic side-by-side mechanism. I just determine what versions are installed (by looking in the WinSxS folder), and choose the one I want to interface to -- normally the latest one which is compatible with the version of FS I find I'm running with. I link dynamically to all of the SimConnect functions, not statically.

Hm. This does have the advantage of being able to locate all the available versions at runtime, but it does feel a little hacky.. It would be nice if there was some official way of enumerating the available WinSxS DLLs, but I've not been able to find any.

Chris

In my application I bundle separate manifests for the RTM, SP1 and SP2 versions of SimConnect and attempt to create activation contexts at runtime until one of them works. It's really a wonder how Microsoft has managed to make DLL loading so overly-complicated with WinSxS.

Yes, and that's why I abondoned that method.

How is SimConnect distributed with P3D if not as a DLL? Is it a static library?

Yes, a LIB file. Rather than building it into FSUIPC I built my own SimConnect DLL with the lib built in.

This does have the advantage of being able to locate all the available versions at runtime, but it does feel a little hacky.. It would be nice if there was some official way of enumerating the available WinSxS DLLs, but I've not been able to find any.

"Hacky" or not, it is easy enough to just find the relevant folder names (which do include the build number) in WinSxS. And this method works even when the SxS system is in a mess (I never managed to unravel some of the possible Registry messes folks get into, especially in Win Vista/7/8. It was easier in XP.

Pete

"Hacky" or not, it is easy enough to just find the relevant folder names (which do include the build number) in WinSxS. And this method works even when the SxS system is in a mess

I might have to look into that then. If it's good enough for FSUIPC then it's good enough for me! Thanks Pete.

I never managed to unravel some of the possible Registry messes folks get into

I once had a guy who ended up with a 64-bit version of the C++ runtime in his 32-bit system directory which was fun to track down. I do think it's funny the things people manage to do to their computers!

• 4 weeks later...

Pete -

I registered my version of FSUIPC a couple of years back and have updated now and then, not because I had problems but in hope the new version would work even better (how that even could be possible - I never indulged in much of the possibilities for customizing that the registering allows).

For quite a while though my FSX DeLuxe SP2 has crashed when in an airport and I tried to change aircraft, or trying to move to another airport directly. For these changes to work I have had to leave the flight/airport and return to the start page of FSX - and change or choose from there. (Sometimes that entailed crashes as well, but mostly it worked.)

My idea for a long time has been that a new aircraft caused this, or perhaps a freeware scenery, or maybe scenery enhancements (UTX or REX4). Or maybe even the new version of IvAp. Well. Removing these extras, and removing this or these aircraft hasn't helped. Not uninstalling and reinstalling AvAp either and not deleting and reinstalling FSUIPC.

So I finally - today - tried to eliminate that one or two of the newer versions of FSUIPC was the culprit.

In my case the version 4.9.0.0 works without crashes in either case; changing aircraft or airport. The versions I have tried that don't work for me are 4.929 and 4.983c.

If you are interested I will send all the logs you want (I mostly don't understand what they tell me or even where they all are). But at least this can be a comfort to others that have similar experiences, or at least it serves as a proof that an older might work very well.

My setup: Windows 8.1 Pro 64, FSX De Luxe with SP2, AMD Phenom II x4, Gigabyte GTX660.

Regards,

Tommy Engman

In my case the version 4.9.0.0 works without crashes in either case; changing aircraft or airport. The versions I have tried that don't work for me are 4.929 and 4.983c.

FSUIPC doesn't care about how or where you change aircraft or airports -- except perhaps in the former case (changing aircraft) if you are using aircraft-specific or profiles which need to be reloaded for the changed aircraft. Changing airports is completely invisible to FSUIPC except for the resulting changes in things like Latitude, Longitude and Altitude, which arrive all the time in any case whilst you are flying.

So my conclusion would be that it is because of another add-on which is either interacting with FSUIPC or is affected by the different memory arrangements which will occur with different versions.

Either way thee's no way I can use any information about old versions. The current supported version is 4.939. If you use that and get a crash please check the Windows Event Viewer and see what the crash was -- the module name and offset. If it does say it is FSUIPC4 then I am interested and would like that information, plus the FSUIPC4.LOG, FSUIPC4.INI files from the FS Modules folder, plus a list of add-ons and add-ins in use or active inside FS at the time.

You should start a new thread with an appropriate title when starting a completely new subject which is barely related to the thread you are posting into. Please do that if you do come back with relevant information.

Thanks 

{ete

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to install and configure FSUIPC with FSX:SE, and it works like a charm, however, I can't seem to see online traffic in my simulator, in the radar in fsinn I see the planes, but not in FSX itself. I've tried everything, and I'm not able to get it working. I wonder if someone has had also this problem, and what may cause it.

I've managed to install and configure FSUIPC with FSX:SE, and it works like a charm, however, I can't seem to see online traffic in my simulator, in the radar in fsinn I see the planes, but not in FSX itself.

What radar in what aircraft in FSX itself?  If you mean FSInn's injected traffic being seen outside, that's all to do with FSInn.

This is really nothing to do with FSUIPC, so I'm not sure why you are posting here. Maybe you are talking about an add-on aircraft which isn't compatible? Or maybe FSInn isn't compatible?

Pete